Plymouth Argyle manager Derek Adams bans Plymouth Live | Page 9 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Plymouth Argyle manager Derek Adams bans Plymouth Live

Is Adams right in banning the Herald?

• Yes

Votes: 67 39.2%
  • No

Votes: 67 39.2%
  • Don't care

Votes: 37 21.6%

• Total voters
Jun 2, 2016
We've got 2 decent reporters in CE and JB.
Plus one Exeter plonker in SJ.
Could it be the case CE and JB write serious articles because they know they'll be talking to Adams face to face the following week?
And SJ writes bilge as he knows he won't have to face the hairdryer treatment?
Solution... Get Stuart James to do a few interviews with Adams.
Get the popcorn out, sit back and enjoy.

justanotherfan

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 4, 2012
Plymouth
Kentishgreen":842msdmn said:
Yes really. You make up a story about the manager, the fans turn against him and he gets sacked. Don’t you think that might just destabilise the club?

I think something is unstable here.

May 1, 2011
Knibbsworth":66oe2m9n said:
The Herald are still at liberty to criticise him ffs. DA hasn't shut the paper down. He simply won't have them at his pre match press conferences. It is symbolic, their mean sprited attack pieces no longer get them that audience with him. They attack him and the club without balance like outsiders, so shall be treated like so. They are still perfectly at liberty to criticise him putting on a defender to defend crosses exactly like the one that lead to the equaliser, instead of scoring five more goals like they would have done. That is their prerorgative. Very little has actually changed, the club is merely letting the Herald know its behaviour is winning them no favours at the club.

You would basically have the press mirroring your posts. Never criticize or question Adams in any way. Blindly support every decision if makes and any failings on the pitch are not in any way his fault.

Aug 5, 2016
I have disagreed with DA on a few aspects of his management, but nothing severe.

I thought letting go of Jimmy Spencer was a mistake.
I thought signing Goodwillie, Nardiello, Church and any other striker who can't play up front alone well was a waste of budget.
I thought last season we were overly reliant on Ryan Taylor and DA was careless in developing his striking options. One decent striker to get us through a season?
I was sad to see McCormick go, Purrington and Jervis too.
I took one look at Scott Wootton and thought what have we wasted a contract on here.
I could go on forever really, I am hardly a thoughtless dummy with no thoughts of my own.

However i can have my own thoughts without deciding I am right and the manager is wrong, and try to undermine and belittle him all the time.

I am quite satisfied DA rocked up at our club and chose Argyle as his project. He moved here and committed to us, unlike Sheridan. He signs long terms contracts and has his eyes on moving this club up the table, not the job centre or with one eye on where else he could be, again like Sheridan or Holloway.

I like that Adams made the club a fortune in player sales and cup runs but insists the training ground and Mayflower redevelopment get priority. That is a manager who cares about the club's health in 10 and 20 years, not in boosting his reputation with taking every penny for the playing squad. How many other managers would do this?

He signs long term contracts and he's loyal to us. He gets dogs abuse from supporters like yourself and his lowest finish in three seasons is 7th - a division above where he found us.

So I think a bit of perspective is needed every time you attack him and I am more than glad to add a but of perspective every time you post like he is dragging us down. He isn't. We are a club of small means which is going to lose good players like Sonny Bradley and Oscar Threlkeld every time another club offers £300 a week more than us or an extra year. Scouts watch us play, they see Carey and Lameiras and can offer them treble what we can in the click of their fingers. That's life, small fish get swallowed by bigger fish. We are going to have big player turnover, we are going to have to rebuild every season.

I think all things considered, with the long term health of the club and DA's ability to get results out of lowly paid journeymen and an unglamourous budget, he's the best realistic chance we have got of progressing as a club.

I also think fans like yourself put too much trust in your own opinion, you dream too much, and don't realise that when you roll the dice for a new manager he could just as likely be much poorer than better. And take us down before he ever takes us up. Southend, Oxford, Bradford...there are some clubs spending more than Argyle that are doing no better than Adams and his bargain bin motley crew.

Andy S

Administrator
Staff member
🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 15, 2003
Knibbsworth":2rb9rtkv said:
I have disagreed with DA on a few aspects of his management, but nothing severe.

I thought signing Goodwillie, Nardiello, Church and any other striker who can't play up front alone well was a waste of budget.
I thought last season we were overly reliant on Ryan Taylor and DA was careless in developing his striking options. One decent striker to get us through a season?
I took one look at Scott Wootton and thought what have we wasted a contract on here.
I could go on forever really, I am hardly a thoughtless dummy with no thoughts of my own.

However i can have my own thoughts without deciding I am right and the manager is wrong, and try to undermine and belittle him all the time.

I am quite satisfied DA rocked up at our club and chose Argyle as his project. He moved here and committed to us, unlike Sheridan. He signs long terms contracts and has his eyes on moving this club up the table, not the job centre or with one eye on where else he could be, again like Sheridan or Holloway.

I like that Adams made the club a fortune in player sales and cup runs but insists the training ground and Mayflower redevelopment get priority. That is a manager who cares about the club's health in 10 and 20 years, not in boosting his reputation with taking every penny for the playing squad. How many other managers would do this?

He signs long term contracts and he's loyal to us. He gets dogs abuse from supporters like yourself and his lowest finish in three seasons is 7th - a division above where he found us.

So I think a bit of perspective is needed every time you attack him and I am more than glad to add a but of perspective every time you post like he is dragging us down. He isn't. We are a club of small means which is going to lose good players like Sonny Bradley and Oscar Threlkeld every time another club offers £300 a week more than us or an extra year. Scouts watch us play, they see Carey and Lameiras and can offer them treble what we can in the click of their fingers. That's life, small fish get swallowed by bigger fish. We are going to have big player turnover, we are going to have to rebuild every season.

I think all things considered, with the long term health of the club and DA's ability to get results out of lowly paid journeymen and an unglamourous budget, he's the best realistic chance we have got of progressing as a club.

I also think fans like yourself put too much trust in your own opinion, you dream too much, and don't realise that when you roll the dice for a new manager he could just as likely be much poorer than better. And take us down before he ever takes us up. Southend, Oxford, Bradford...there are some clubs spending more than Argyle that are doing no better than Adams and his bargain bin motley crew.

Seconded.

Oct 16, 2016
Some very good points there, particularly regarding solidity, commitment and a sensible approach to longevity and commercial nous

But it doesn’t address the issue. The headlines and articles aren’t sensationalised nor do they attack the manager. If he is unable to take criticism then he needs to take a look at himself not those that opine.

People have a life long passion and love for the club, he’s simply an employee passing though, when he goes he won’t even cast an eye backwards. It’s indicative of the modern world that he takes a snowflake approach to anybody that dares to criticise

May 8, 2011
Shankster":3hsbw3d4 said:
Some very good points there, particularly regarding solidity, commitment and a sensible approach to longevity and commercial nous

But it doesn’t address the issue. The headlines and articles aren’t sensationalised nor do they attack the manager. If he is unable to take criticism then he needs to take a look at himself not those that opine.

People have a life long passion and love for the club, he’s simply an employee passing though, when he goes he won’t even cast an eye backwards. It’s indicative of the modern world that he takes a snowflake approach to anybody that dares to criticise

No one has seemed to have asked Adams the reason why he has decided not to speak to the Herald. Perhaps I will get the chance to ask him today.

Aug 5, 2015
What’s the problem with him not talking to someone if he doesn’t want to? There are people we would all rather not talk to. There are people on here who I block as I don’t want to read their crap and I dare say I’m not the only one. DA and the club has no right of reply to some of the sensational comments emanating out of Plymouth Live, they certainly aren’t going to print anything the club says to rebut what they say. It may or may not be right but what other option is there. Just let them continue to publish any old crap whenever they like without being challenged? Unless it’s libellous there’s nothing they can do.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
Knibbsworth":1f5wi53y said:

Excellent post, Knibbsworth. Very well presented.

TRA1984

✨Pasoti Donor✨
Mar 4, 2008
Plymouth
Knibbsworth":p5bxjhug said:

Great post, couldn’t have put this any better myself.

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
Juan":1m2i8hj2 said:
Knibbsworth":1m2i8hj2 said:

Great post, couldn’t have put this any better myself.

Agreed, great post.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Knibbsworth":2ozptjjw said:

A good post.
I would add that I think the playing budget has suffered due to money being diverted to the refurbishment of the grandstand (the cost now apparently increased by another £1m to £7.5m) which means Adams had to wheel and deal even more and he's admitted a large part of his budget is spent on keeping the better players at the club, he then has to sign inferior quality players that might work out, as we saw last summer, or have a poor January transfer window.

All this puts pressure on Adams if we don't get results in the early months of the season when in fact it's the whole current situation at the club that is to 'blame'.

Fans can be critical of Adams for his team selection and tactics, as I do at times, that's part of football but he can't be blamed for his budget being diverted elsewhere in the club.

The upside is that when the extra income generated by refurbished grandstand comes online the playing budget will hopefully increase.

Besides, why should Adams (or anyone) sit down for an interview with a journo who previously wrote snidey articles and headlines stating that Adams should be sacked.