Players leaving after not getting paid, or refusing to play? | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Players leaving after not getting paid, or refusing to play?

Feb 21, 2011
Would be very suprised if anyone was refusing to play (Siep aside) the only way these guys can get out of Argyle, if thats their wish is a loan deal the only way your going to get one of them is by putting yourself in the shop window by playing be it reserves or 1st team, add to that the ones close to the end of there current deal who will be looking for a new club and it seems unlikely.

R

Rupert

Marcus The Green":hyy115gx said:
Personally I think it might be Arnason. With his interview in Icelandic press & the fact he buggered off down the tunnel after being subbed against Brighton.

Also could be Fletcher, his latest interviews read like he's had enough.

I think the chances of either of those two withdrawing their labour are slim.

B

Barriball

You know the funny thing is I would happily pay £1000 to play 10 mins for argyle, it's my team and would be an honour! Some players are too lazy to even get paid to play!! If we found 11 people willing to pay 1000 every week til the end of the season we could pay off some debt :)

Mar 12, 2008
Leeds
BadBoy":3uwxc5ik said:
Would be very suprised if anyone was refusing to play (Siep aside) the only way these guys can get out of Argyle, if thats their wish is a loan deal the only way your going to get one of them is by putting yourself in the shop window by playing be it reserves or 1st team, add to that the ones close to the end of there current deal who will be looking for a new club and it seems unlikely.

Is that right though? Surely there must come a time whereby we're in breach of contract for non-payment of wages and they're free to leave.

In that case they'd be free agents and could sign for anyone.

Anyone know how long it takes for the contract to become void due to non-payment?

In addition, if they're out of contract in the Summer, as many are, then why play and risk a career-threatening injury, especially if you're not being paid?

Feb 22, 2008
Mainly Saltash
Barriball":eub9ie36 said:
You know the funny thing is I would happily pay £1000 to play 10 mins for argyle, it's my team and would be an honour! Some players are too lazy to even get paid to play!! If we found 11 people willing to pay 1000 every week til the end of the season we could pay off some debt :)

Might even win a game as well...... :lol:

C

Chill-Pil-Grim

Barriball":hm24vs7w said:

That is insane and genius. Mostly Insane. But essence of genius.

Worthy of Karl P himself.

Aug 22, 2006
oddball":1j13e1s3 said:
cant blame any player for refusing to play...they haven't been paid for january and it doesn't look like they will be paid for february.you can only take this for so long before you react.

I have sympathy for the players I really do, but don't really agree with this.
What's the difference at the moment between if they did play and if they didn't? Lets face it we are losing these matches far too easily. Now imagine we had been doing really well recently, and then the players decided to stop playing. We wouldn't react so well. "Oh come on lads, we can get out of this mess and all you wanna do is give up." Instead we are losing games easily but we are kind of excusing them because they haven't been paid - A bit of an extreme reaction to when they do get paid and we all decide that so and so isn't fit to where the shirt after an awful performance.

People will harp on about "well if we weren't being paid in our job we would walk out." Well that may be the case but for a footballer it's a different kind of job. They are in an entertainment business so to speak - performance related (which is a bit of a contradiction because you could argue that their lack of performances have got us into this mess yet we haven't got the right to slash the wages in accordance to their performances).
Not one of these players will struggle to find a club next season. So why shouldn't they play for the shop window so to speak. Ok you could argue that some of them would have to slash their wages. Then again if I was in a job, on very good money and in the grand scheme of things the company were completely under-performing then yes - I could safely say "jeez i've actually earnt more than i've deserved these last few years, oh well back to the usual salary." Of course hardly anyone is in that position.

Basically we should be doing better, if the blame is on the players wages then perhaps these players just haven't got the balls to continue. I think that most of them have got the balls and they've naturally lost some self-belief, but I'm confused because we continue to pay and watch the team play. The staff as far as i'm aware continue to turn up, if the players however continue to turn up and start putting in some blinding performances who do you think will get the praise? They will - They could be the heroes - and then come summer time they will do what players do best. Leave.

R

rich

Think it has to be 3 consec months then they can rip up their contracts... maybe this is the plan - get rid of the (once) overpaid, now not paid - poo

Frank Butcher

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Oct 9, 2003
Gairloch
MAZZA26":3m03gyfm said:
oddball":3m03gyfm said:
cant blame any player for refusing to play...they haven't been paid for january and it doesn't look like they will be paid for february.you can only take this for so long before you react.

I have sympathy for the players I really do, but don't really agree with this.
What's the difference at the moment between if they did play and if they didn't? Lets face it we are losing these matches far too easily. Now imagine we had been doing really well recently, and then the players decided to stop playing. We wouldn't react so well. "Oh come on lads, we can get out of this mess and all you wanna do is give up." Instead we are losing games easily but we are kind of excusing them because they haven't been paid - A bit of an extreme reaction to when they do get paid and we all decide that so and so isn't fit to where the shirt after an awful performance.

People will harp on about "well if we weren't being paid in our job we would walk out." Well that may be the case but for a footballer it's a different kind of job. They are in an entertainment business so to speak - performance related (which is a bit of a contradiction because you could argue that their lack of performances have got us into this mess yet we haven't got the right to slash the wages in accordance to their performances).
Not one of these players will struggle to find a club next season. So why shouldn't they play for the shop window so to speak. Ok you could argue that some of them would have to slash their wages. Then again if I was in a job, on very good money and in the grand scheme of things the company were completely under-performing then yes - I could safely say "jeez i've actually earnt more than i've deserved these last few years, oh well back to the usual salary." Of course hardly anyone is in that position.

Basically we should be doing better, if the blame is on the players wages then perhaps these players just haven't got the balls to continue. I think that most of them have got the balls and they've naturally lost some self-belief, but I'm confused because we continue to pay and watch the team play. The staff as far as i'm aware continue to turn up, if the players however continue to turn up and start putting in some blinding performances who do you think will get the praise? They will - They could be the heroes - and then come summer time they will do what players do best. Leave.

Exactly. We were losing matches far too easily with our nigh on Championship squad well before wages issues came to light.

Jan 31, 2005
Tavistock
It has to play on some of the players minds that they need a new club next year, If I were them I would be concerned about picking up a long term injury.

Sadly however certain players having being playing like they have long term injuries for about 2 years.

I wouldn't blame them for deciding not to play, but I will have a great deal of respect for the ones that continue to do so.

A

andyr1963

Barriball":2t5how33 said:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Do you have two right feet? because I have two left feet AND £1000.00 :) together we could be truly atrocious.

10 minutes on the pitch with all the abuse coming from the terraces. I could be Eric Cantona over the fence feet first into the Pasoti poster of my choice Cantona not the genius ball skills Cantona obviously. :lol: