NZ V England second test | Page 6 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

NZ V England second test

Brussels Bureaucrat

Cream First
✅ Evergreen
Jun 16, 2017
Ixelles/The City of Plymouth
It is, as a Somerset fan don't even get me started on the 100!

It's ridiculous isn't it. The 100 has made it harder for people who don't live near a Test ground to watch live short-form cricket during the summer holidays, it's absurd. Who's going to drive from Plymouth to Edgbaston or Southampton to watch 33.2 overs of cricket? I used to love going up to Taunton to watch evening T20 games with the kids, but it's hard to do that during term time.

Jul 29, 2006
Bridgend
It's ridiculous isn't it. The 100 has made it harder for people who don't live near a Test ground to watch live short-form cricket during the summer holidays, it's absurd. Who's going to drive from Plymouth to Edgbaston or Southampton to watch 33.2 overs of cricket? I used to love going up to Taunton to watch evening T20 games with the kids, but it's hard to do that during term time.
Agreed. Also the fact that as a Somerset fan the ECB have decided that I have to support a team that plays in Cardiff for us and never actually sets foot in Taunton is ridiculous. They've also made the 50 over tournament in to a youth development competition or for reserve players - I'm sure they'll find a way to blame county cricket when we crash and burn in the world cup later this year though.

Reactions: Brussels Bureaucrat

Frank Butcher

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Oct 9, 2003
Gairloch
I have zero interest in The Hundred. Hate the showbiz theme and even the psychedelic scoreboard visuals on screen would drive me mad. T20 is a stretch for me TBH, very much a traditionalist when it comes to cricket, though I understand the need to react to your audience - and attract new ones. Each to their own, but not for me.

Reactions: Brussels Bureaucrat
Nov 18, 2011
I don't mind losing games like this, cricket was the winner in the end. A pity there isn't a third Test.
It's mad isn't it that we only have a 2 match series against the Test world champions.
Shows that TV makes the decisions when it comes to the England test team.

Going back to Crawley, how about Joe Root opening? He did it a few times when he first played for England and his average was 41.70:

Brook perhaps to move up to 4 then Bairstow plays at 5 where he was making loads of runs last summer.

Andy S

Administrator
Staff member
🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 15, 2003
It's mad isn't it that we only have a 2 match series against the Test world champions.

Going back to Crawley, how about Joe Root opening? He did it a few times when he first played for England and his average was 41.70:

Brook perhaps to move up to 4 then Bairstow plays at 5 where he was making loads of runs last summer.
We would also have liked a 5 Test series Joe.

We now have two tests agains Sri Lanka, then 5 tests against Pakistan, in Pakistan and then in England for a summer series over there.

The other downer, talking of TV coverage, this was covered by Spark Sport (NZ’s Telecom) and, not to put too fine a point on it, it’s fudging sh!te! Spark has been so bad that they are giving up all sport coverage and the whole shooting match (cricket anyway) is reverting to “Free to Air” TVNZ.

I don’t think we’ll be Test Champions this time around! :) :)

Daz

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
Pasoti Quiz Champions
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 30, 2003
We would also have liked a 5 Test series Joe.

We now have two tests agains Sri Lanka, then 5 tests against Pakistan, in Pakistan and then in England for a summer series over there.

The other downer, talking of TV coverage, this was covered by Spark Sport (NZ’s Telecom) and, not to put too fine a point on it, it’s fudging sh!te! Spark has been so bad that they are giving up all sport coverage and the whole shooting match (cricket anyway) is reverting to “Free to Air” TVNZ.

I don’t think we’ll be Test Champions this time around! :) :)
Who’s this ‘we’ mate! 😂

• Haha
Reactions: Andy S
Sep 6, 2006
I have zero interest in The Hundred. Hate the showbiz theme and even the psychedelic scoreboard visuals on screen would drive me mad. T20 is a stretch for me TBH, very much a traditionalist when it comes to cricket, though I understand the need to react to your audience - and attract new ones. Each to their own, but not for me.
The Hundred is cricket for people who don't like cricket.

• Haha
Reactions: greenpig27

Andy S

Administrator
Staff member
🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 15, 2003
Who’s this ‘we’ mate! 😂
I have Kiwi Citizenship and a black passport with a Silver Fern on it.

I don't have a UK/Euro passport anymore and haven't had one since 2013.

(y)(y)(y) :) :) :)

Jul 29, 2006
Bridgend

I would leave Root where he is, why mess with it? He was prolific at 4, got moved to 3 and didn't do as well before going back to 4 and being the old Root again. I can see Bairstow opening in the summer myself.

Reactions: Balham Green

Brussels Bureaucrat

Cream First
✅ Evergreen
Jun 16, 2017
Ixelles/The City of Plymouth
I agree Frank - attracting new audiences is fine, but does any sport have such contempt for its (sigh) legacy supporters as cricket? I feel like those of us who pay £100 to watch a day of Test cricket are rather taken for granted these days.

Voice of Reason

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 30, 2004
I would leave Root where he is, why mess with it? He was prolific at 4, got moved to 3 and didn't do as well before going back to 4 and being the old Root again. I can see Bairstow opening in the summer myself.
I actually think it might be Stokes.
Bairstow is a brilliant player, his downfall is his defense against a moving ball, which he hasn't been able to correct for 10 years, so cant imagine he will now, i think he will bat 6 and be asked to play ODI cricket in a test environment.
I'm sure McCullum as a man he moved from 5/6 to 1/2 in the order, as captain, will be thinking Stokes is the right man, especially as appears likely his bowling is used less and less. Defensively he is the most sound in the entire squad, plays proper quick bowling as well as any and would send a serious message of intent.

Argylegames

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jun 12, 2006
Hampshire, UK
www.argylegames.org.uk
Hell of a match which I couldn't watch from my hospital bed. If we had batted again to give Jimmy and co a rest instead of enforcing the follow-on, I think we'd have won by a mile. Faced with scoring nearly 500 with two days to go with Jimmy rested - no chance they'd have won.