Not yet financially sustainable | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Not yet financially sustainable

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
No surprises here either. It aways amazes me when people like Oddball bleat on and on about the size of the crowds. It takes a lot of money to run a football club properly. Tp be fair to Argyle they've never really dumbed down from the CCC days. When you got to places like Accrington/ Fleetwood and Shrewsbury, the places are full of volunteers, Argyle haven't really gone heavily down that course. We have a full time Chef for the players (plus catering staff), the shop of open normal shop hours, some clubs work our of a part time container.

There's far more to running a good football club, players wages is just one of them.

Green83":3uxuutj8 said:
mervyn":3uxuutj8 said:
... but the fact is that the average Championship loss, ... is currently £11 million.

But that is the 'average'. Some will be in the red and some will be in the black. It's not true to say that if you want to be in the Championship you HAVE to operate at a loss.

I fully accept that there is devil in the detail and I don't have the time to debate all the obvious errors in my statement. I just feel that data is too frequently reduced to a simple figure without consideration of the whole picture.

If you study the complete table (sorry I don’t have it to paste here, it was a Guardian article) the only club making a small profit was Birmingham City, and that was through a technicality concerning transfer pay,ents and receipts. From memory the losses ranged from £5 million to £29 million, producing an average of £11 million. I’ll try and find the articles and post it.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
demportdave":2w1eqbh1 said:
It's good that Hallett has come out and said this, it's a much-needed reality check for those who naively seem to think our financial position is going to improve almost immediately on completion of the Grandstand refurbishment.

There are some things that will benefit us immediately though.

The 102 Pioneer packages will be pre-paid, and pre-paid presumably some time in the next few weeks/months.

If conferences start to get booked in the summer, that too is immediate cash. Just more people visiting Home Park and making use of the facilities will be a boost to finances.

We probably won't see the true benefit of the grandstand for a year or so, but I don't see how there will be NO financial improvement straight away.

Feb 26, 2012
Ivybridge
I would have thought the comment was fairly straightforward. We are not yet generating enough income over costs to be self sufficient, last financial year showed a small profit of £32k. So Simon Hallett has had to step in with his own money to bridge the gap...presumably funding transfer deals as well as the new build. Sustainability will have been achieved when we can fund transfers, capital investment etc. from income. In football that is a big ask as most fans (and clubs) don't have the patience to develop a long term sustainable financial model.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
I tell you what, to be a different angle on it, it took some kahonas to turn down £400k for Freddie.

May 8, 2011
IJN":3rydabqw said:
No surprises here either. It aways amazes me when people like Oddball bleat on and on about the size of the crowds. It takes a lot of money to run a football club properly. Tp be fair to Argyle they've never really dumbed down from the CCC days. When you got to places like Accrington/ Fleetwood and Shrewsbury, the places are full of volunteers, Argyle haven't really gone heavily down that course. We have a full time Chef for the players (plus catering staff), the shop of open normal shop hours, some clubs work our of a part time container.

There's far more to running a good football club, players wages is just one of them.

Such as paying for the squad to travel up the day before and stay overnight when they play Peterborough in the Central League next month.

Just a small sign that Argyle are treating things more professionally and that costs.

Argylegames

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jun 12, 2006
Hampshire, UK
www.argylegames.org.uk
Biggs":2hvzf3vu said:
There are some things that will benefit us immediately though.

The 102 Pioneer packages will be pre-paid, and pre-paid presumably some time in the next few weeks/months.

Yes, but the money has to be invested or at least retained to enable the benefits being paid for up-front to be supplied down the line.

Jun 1, 2015
Pett, East Sussex
IJN":2zt71pas said:
I tell you what, to be a different angle on it, it took some kahonas to turn down £400k for Freddie.

I thought that was just a rumour.

None of this is a surprise to me regarding monies. With all that it reaffirms to me that we do have the right team in place across the club improving it brick by brick. This club of ours is being built on very solid foundations.

oddball

Pasoti Quiz Winner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 30, 2004
IJN":2vl73gnh said:

Load of rubbish...if you can't run a football club on gates of 10K then questions need to be asked as to where the money is going...a lot of clubs in league division one do not have sugar daddies yet they survive......

Jun 1, 2015
Pett, East Sussex
oddball":3u1rco2z said:
IJN":3u1rco2z said:

Load of rubbish...if you can't run a football club on gates of 10K then questions need to be asked as to where the money is going...a lot of clubs in league division one do not have sugar daddies yet they survive......

I think your head is stuck in the 70's regarding gate to expenditure ratios.

Oct 16, 2016
Perhaps the halfwits who think a new stand equals unworldly riches now understand the reality of modern football

The stand will not make a modicum of difference other than a slightly more stable future BUT only a future of balance

Oct 16, 2016
oddball":1ebfuuuk said:
IJN":1ebfuuuk said:

You sir, are a lunatic

A gate of 10k is nothing, in fact a crowd of 10k probably equates to operating in the red

oddball

Pasoti Quiz Winner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 30, 2004
Shankster":1nc7zbmk said:
oddball":1nc7zbmk said:
IJN":1nc7zbmk said:

You sir, are a lunatic

A gate of 10k is nothing, in fact a crowd of 10k probably equates to operating in the red

and you Shankster are an idiot.....7th best attendance in the league ....

May 16, 2016
oddball":972zp7bx said:
Shankster":972zp7bx said:
oddball":972zp7bx said:
IJN":972zp7bx said:

You sir, are a lunatic

7th highest overheads or worse ?

Oct 16, 2016
oddball":3emj57r3 said:
Shankster":3emj57r3 said:
oddball":3emj57r3 said:
IJN":3emj57r3 said:

You sir, are a lunatic

Equates to nothing, zilch