Niall Ennis (signs for Stoke) | Page 8 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Niall Ennis (signs for Stoke)

Oct 10, 2018
We wouldn’t have got promoted without him last season. A brilliant all round forward when he’s fit and firing.

A real shame. He should have stayed.
This is true, He contributed some real important goals, which was why at the time I was disappointed to see him leave.

However if you look at how many games he started, how many full 90 mins did he play, and how many assists and goals scored in these games and its very low percentage.

Ennis was effectively the definition of a super sub, he was most effective coming on 10 mins into 2nd half, Which is when he scored the vast majority of his goals and created assists, and is actually when he most appeared in games.

In summary he was effectively playing 35 - 40 mins of football.

Add this to a pattern of injuries, is it really suprising when stepping up a league he couldn't keep pace.

So had Rovers done there dillagence over the player this should have called for the need of a more stringet physical and medical, before an approach for him.

Also what is just as telling is that Argyle in need of an extra natural striker showed no interest in Ennis.

Given how he played effectively in and amongst the current front line last season, Bali, Whittaker, Hardie, Callum W, so he knows their attributes and was popular with fans.

This for me says Argyles coaching set up knew that Ennis was not going to be effective at this level.

monkeywrench

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Brickfields Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jan 12, 2006
Cornwall
It might be me rewriting history but everyone seems to be mentioning Nialls pace. I dont remember him being lightening - certainly not as quick as Hotdog.

Whilst he was a good player in League 1 and we were all upset when he left for free, we've all seen the massive step up in quality and athleticism in Championship and he hardly set the world alight at Blackburn.
Stoke fans seem to think he's got searing pace. My memory might be playing tricks, but i only remember him being nothing more than fairly quick. His strengths were in hold up play, turning and finishing.

Feb 2, 2005
Cornwall
Stoke fans seem to think he's got searing pace. My memory might be playing tricks, but i only remember him being nothing more than fairly quick. His strengths were in hold up play, turning and finishing.
Exactly that.

Given the pace we played with SS this season before he left I don't know if he would have fitted in with it anyway.

He'll certainly be well rested as he hasn't kicked a ball in a month!

AdelaideGreen

🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺
Jan 11, 2017
Seems to be a bit of an "Adams" touch. A few ended up at Morecambe. Hmm.

Argyleloyal

Pasoti Announcer.
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
Brickfields Donor
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 25, 2016
Football fans can be very quick to turn on a Manager who relies on bringing in his old players and then not fairing particularly well......just saying!

Funny though nothing bad is getting said about Foster bringing in players he knows

monkeywrench

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Brickfields Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jan 12, 2006
Cornwall
Funny though nothing bad is getting said about Foster bringing in players he knows
They're not his old players though. He's never managed before.

But anyway, it didn't work out too badly with Ryan Lowe bringing in Danny Mayor. I haven't a problem with it if they're good players. It's important that mangers have players they can trust.

RB00194

Cream First
Brickfields Donor
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jan 8, 2024
Stoke seem to be making the same mistakes as they have done with previous managers. Letting them bring in their own players and said players fail to perform. Manager gets sacked. Its like a merry go round at Bet365 FC

The BRFC board certainly didn't rate him

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240202_110110_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20240202_110110_Samsung Internet.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 61

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Stoke seem to be making the same mistakes as they have done with previous managers. Letting them bring in their own players and said players fail to perform. Manager gets sacked. Its like a merry go round at Bet365 FC

Yep, then next manager comes in and has to rebuild themselves. If Ennis is as underwhelming as Cundle so far, the fans will really start to question the manager's judgment.

Reactions: Lancastergreen

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
I can’t help but feel this signing will work for them.

He won’t start every game but he will get 6-8 goals for them

Reactions: Rogue
Mar 1, 2008
I thought Stoke would have been looking at the more premium end of the player spectrum rather than bargain basement.

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
It strikes me that Niall Ennis's agent is a formidable negotiator. The Blackburn contract was pretty good work but, after 6 months of abject failure (mainly due to persistent injuries) at Blackburn, he manages to get his client another two and a half year deal. And just to show how crazy football is, despite the Blackburn boss's very public criticism of the player, they manage to get £500k for him (which probably recovers every penny they have spent in wages and signing on fees).

Unbelievable Jeff!

• Love
Reactions: greenpig27

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
It might be me rewriting history but everyone seems to be mentioning Nialls pace. I dont remember him being lightening - certainly not as quick as Hotdog.

Whilst he was a good player in League 1 and we were all upset when he left for free, we've all seen the massive step up in quality and athleticism in Championship and he hardly set the world alight at Blackburn.

Yes, the Stoke fans think they've signed a pacy striker, while he was no slouch Ennis would never be a running in behind type of striker, he is more about holding up the ball, protecting it and then lay it off.