New goalkeeper (split from Ryan Taylor thread) | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

New goalkeeper (split from Ryan Taylor thread)

Aug 24, 2014
Plymouth
Cobi Budge":cu8bu8z7 said:
PlymOdi":cu8bu8z7 said:
Cobi Budge":cu8bu8z7 said:
Personally thought Matthews was a bit overrated. Decent for this level but not the wonder keeper many made him out to be. He made a number of errors which seemed to be overlooked whereas if McCormick or even Letheren had done the same, they wouldn't escape so easily. As I say decent keeper for this level but I'd be surprised if he cuts it as Norwich's first choice just yet as many have suggested he will next season.

How about Kelle Roos?

Thought he was very good and a very well rounded keeper, many will disagree but from the numerous keepers we used last season, I was most impressed by Roos.

I seem to remember his kicking was very good.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Apart from his first 45 seconds (I'm sure it was in by the way) I thought he did brilliantly.

Loved his distribution as well which I thought was way, way better than Remi's.

Feb 5, 2015
The-Pilgrim":2wn571ig said:
Frank_Butcher":2wn571ig said:
Goalkeepers are measured on ability of course, but perhaps even more so on numbers of errors made. So to some extent I agree with Cobi. There's no doubting Matthews has great potential (particularly in shot stopping) but IMO there are weaknesses - a bit flappy on crosses and being too cocksure with the ball at his feet. Whatever, Norwich rate him very highly and according to a colleague there is a very good chance of him being their number one next season.

I like Roos as well - not sure there was any notable difference in ability between he and Matthews.

I think I'm right in saying that Roos is available on a free this summer, might be worth looking at.

Will personally be very surprised if Roos isn't our No.1 next season

May 3, 2017
I’m not sure if he was carrying an injury but it was noticeable that Matthews’s kicking was quite poor towards the end of the season. Apart from that he looked a very promising young keeper. I only saw Roos play once but he looked more then capable and wouldn’t be adverse to seeing him return next season.

Jul 29, 2006
Bridgend
GreenLDN":1cocsib5 said:
The-Pilgrim":1cocsib5 said:
Frank_Butcher":1cocsib5 said:
Goalkeepers are measured on ability of course, but perhaps even more so on numbers of errors made. So to some extent I agree with Cobi. There's no doubting Matthews has great potential (particularly in shot stopping) but IMO there are weaknesses - a bit flappy on crosses and being too cocksure with the ball at his feet. Whatever, Norwich rate him very highly and according to a colleague there is a very good chance of him being their number one next season.

I like Roos as well - not sure there was any notable difference in ability between he and Matthews.

I think I'm right in saying that Roos is available on a free this summer, might be worth looking at.

You seem confident he'll join then! Hoping you're right :thumbup: :thumbup:

The Doctor

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
The-Pilgrim":2wlefrx4 said:
GreenLDN":2wlefrx4 said:
The-Pilgrim":2wlefrx4 said:
Frank_Butcher":2wlefrx4 said:

You seem confident he'll join then! Hoping you're right :thumbup: :thumbup:

Oddly confident if you ask me - either 'in the know', 'wishful thinking' or 'complete BS'

Jul 3, 2013
We already have a very special talent on our books who IMO is a better prospect than any young keeper we have had. If next season proves a year too soon then I would expect a loanee keeper to tie us over until Cooper is no 1.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
I thought Kelle Roos was our best all round keeper last season.
I'm not sure what his situation is at Derby apart from being out of contract next month, he was on the bench for their two play-off games against Fulham.

If Derby don't offer him a new contract he would be an excellent signing for us.

Oct 20, 2015
Balham_Green":2f7gky0r said:
Cobi Budge":2f7gky0r said:
Personally thought Matthews was a bit overrated. Decent for this level but not the wonder keeper many made him out to be. He made a number of errors which seemed to be overlooked whereas if McCormick or even Letheren had done the same, they wouldn't escape so easily. As I say decent keeper for this level but I'd be surprised if he cuts it as Norwich's first choice just yet as many have suggested he will next season.

Shock horror. football player makes 'errors'. Hold the front page. Were you at Northampton? Must have stopped at least four one on ones.

I was at Northampton. Remi may have got MoM but he was the best of a bad batch. He sliced at least one clearance and communication with the back four was non existent. Distribution was poor.

Having said that everyone had an off day that day, and even goalies are allowed mistakes. I would take Remi as our first choice if we got the opportunity, but Roos also deserves consideration. Best case would be that we get both in the squad next season and they compete for no.1 spot.

Nov 30, 2010
Plympton
Steve.PAFC2012":2ir18gkr said:
Deacster":2ir18gkr said:
I've always felt positive when I've seen Pym in goal when we've played City, in the sense I think he's a weak goalie. Very short and doesn't command his area.
Agreed. Always seems to have a stinker against us.

That's because he is a green at heart :shh:

Sep 6, 2006
slingsby_pobble":pf7mn9c9 said:
Balham_Green":pf7mn9c9 said:
Cobi Budge":pf7mn9c9 said:
Personally thought Matthews was a bit overrated. Decent for this level but not the wonder keeper many made him out to be. He made a number of errors which seemed to be overlooked whereas if ÄŤMcCormick or even Letheren had done the same, they wouldn't escape so easily. As I say decent keeper for this level but I'd be surprised if he cuts it as Norwich's first choice just yet as many have suggested he will next season.

Shock horror. football player makes 'errors'. Hold the front page. Were you at Northampton? Must have stopped at least four one on ones.

I was at Northampton. Remi may have got MoM but he was the best of a bad batch. He sliced at least one clearance and communication with the back four was non existent. Distribution was poor.

Having said that everyone had an off day that day, and even goalies are allowed mistakes. I would take Remi as our first choice if we got the opportunity, but Roos also deserves consideration. Best case would be that we get both in the squad next season and they compete for no.1 spot.

So Matthews 'sliced one clearance'. Shock horror. He was mom for a very good reason. He saved us time after time. Agreed the rest were rubbish which put the emphasis even more on him.

Sep 17, 2017
Before Letheren got injured he was excellent and an equal to Matthews, I for one hope that he becomes our number one. You won’t find a better keeper at this level imho.

There was not a lot between all the keepers last season Ex Cooper who hasn’t really been proven. Letheren all the way for me there’s no need to look any further.

Aug 10, 2006
good keeper Mathews, was mom at Northampton and as others have said keepers make mistakes and he did at Rochdale should never have come for the cross Rochdale scored from too many bodies in the way, I know he's young but I would love to see cooper given a run.