New Captain? (Gary Sawyer - confirmed) | Page 7 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

New Captain? (Gary Sawyer - confirmed)

Emu

Oct 3, 2003
Sarf London
oldage":222f5ezi said:
Not moaning merely stating a fact.Incidentally I thought ostriches stuck their heads in the sand not EMUS !

Not sure what you are implying, but anyway...!

I'm not sure if Sawyer would have been in my starting line up, but if DA wants him in his starting lineup, then it would be harsh to take the captaincy away from him.

Jul 12, 2016
Presto ,I understand football enough to know that Sawyer left the opposition so much room last season that it was embarrassing how often it was exploited.I thought there was no room for sentiment in football?

Jul 2, 2014
Two biggest responsibilities of a team captain:

1. Keep teammates focused and organized when they become distracted or demoralized (e.g. bad call from the ref., bad foul, heads dropping when down 2-0, having an argument with someone else on the pitch. etc.)

2. Be the team representative when interacting with the referee when things boil over.

Both of these roles are about attitude and interpersonal skills. They have little to do with speed, positioning, and ball skills, even though those attributes are essential to being selected to be on the pitch. Gaz attributes to be a good captain are are probably obvious to the rest of the team and the coaching staff based on their interactions with him and the way they have observed him interacting with refs., but hard for fans to see. Being captain is not the same as being the most popular player to the fans.

Carey is probably our most creative player and probably the most popular, but he gets very emotional about calls and gets in the face of referees. That is fine, but not what you want your captain doing. At times, Gaz will likely be talking the ref out of giving Carey a card and earning his captain's armband that way.

Aug 5, 2016
99% of the players' lives is off the pitch. The captain wears the armband all week long, not just between 12-5pm on a Saturday. What if a player has argued with the manager about playing in pain on a fractured shin? What if player x is cheating with player y's wife? What if the star player is unhappy with his bonuses? What if the father of a young professional is unhappy with the amount of first team football his son is getting over what was discussed when he signed?

Graham Carey might throw his arms around on the pitch, but he might not have the patience to deal with delicate problems that don't affect him personally, or the courage to stand up and take a position the management is sharply against.