New Captain? (Gary Sawyer - confirmed) | Page 6 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

New Captain? (Gary Sawyer - confirmed)

Mar 21, 2010
Plymouth
Luke McCormick was captain at the start of last season with Gary as vice , following Luke's injury , Gary took over, should Gary's performance levels be poor or he suffers injury , Foxy will do the same and ASB will step into the team, I don't think Gary being captain will guarantee his 1st team place throughout the season, especially if he starts getting caught out of position regularly, he , like everyone else will have to perform well to stay in the team.

Jul 12, 2016
Just when you start to believe in DA and he does this! Didn't he learn anything from last year? Sawyer was our weak link and was exploited by the opposition. He may be a model pro but IMO is past his best.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
oldage":78jiklsy said:
Just when you start to believe in DA and he does this! Didn't he learn anything from last year? Sawyer was our weak link and was exploited by the opposition. He may be a model pro but IMO is past his best.

Yes, all of my faith in Derek Adams has been completely shattered because he's simply promoted last season's vice captain to captain :lol:

Voice of Reason

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 30, 2004
The internet has given drama queens a voice sadly, no matter how ridiculous the discussion.

Whilst not the first name on the team sheet and someone who will have to fight for his place, GS is what is known as "a good pro" - he's rarely injured, rarely suspended, trains hard, gives his all and works hard for those around him. There is not one valid reason not hand him the captaincy.

He is someone i imagine who gets on equally well with DA, PW and the coaching staff and the players alike.

In a 4-3-3 system our full backs wont always get the same protection as when playing 4-4-2, so on occasions will be exposed, thats one of the issues with this formation, GS is mentally agile enough, to know this and accept this as "good pro's" do. Its a solid decision that will not make or break our season and i suspect would be supported by the majority of the playing staff, so no sure why anyone can see drama in this simple task.

Mar 14, 2009
As he knows the club better than anyone, it does make sense on that level.

He does have a strong character and the effort is always there.

However, he was taken off so many times last year that it wasn’t because people on PASOTI were being harsh on him. It was because the manager obviously thought he was exposed too easily to pace. If that wasn’t the case we wouldn’t of seen numerous times of the ATS for Sawyer substitution or ATS playing just in front of Sawyer for the last 10 mins of games.

Does this make him a first choice for the team sheet? Initially, l think it does but just like with McCormick last season eventually he was surplus to requirements and couldn’t find his way back into the team, even when fit, l think this could be Sawyer’s similar scenario.

He will get beaten by pace and exposed. The question is how many times will the opposition exploit it? If we had someone like Bhasera at LB and Nelson at CB l think we a good tough tackling loan player at CDM we would get promoted. Unfortunately, l really do think our lack of pace at CB, LB and CDM will cause us a number of concerns for the season ahead.

Jul 12, 2016
Voice of reason ,one valid reason not to give him the captaincy,he shouldn't even be in the team. Macleanie , the easy option to take, not decision. Nothing against Sawyer but there must be better candidates.

Voice of Reason

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 30, 2004
That's not factual, just an opinion, based on a new signing you've never seen perform in a league game.

DA still sees GS as a likely starter, then its the right decision.

GreenDave1981

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Aug 5, 2017
does he have to play to be a good captain? I recon the speedy option can be played when preferred and Gary can still do his job. On the pitch captain is, i think, less important than the symbolic captain

Emu

Oct 3, 2003
Sarf London
oldage":28lsv5se said:

Bleddy hell oldage, you're like the proverbial moaning wife about everything. ;)

Jul 12, 2016
Not moaning merely stating a fact.Incidentally I thought ostriches stuck their heads in the sand not EMUS !

Aug 2, 2011
The appointment of team captain in football has little or no impact on game results. In Cricket the team captain plays a very significant role relative to the outcome of a match. To a much lesser extent captain of a rugby team can have a reasonable degree of influence. Captians of football teams do not determine formation or tactics. Sawyer has been around a long time so that is fine.

Comments from some saying the decision has altered their faith in DA just show how little they understand the game.

Feb 17, 2017
I like sawyer in so much I see him as still part of the old school much like Luke was. I did honestly think though we wouldn’t see him again this season. It was a weakness last season, he got exposed far too much, teams played in a way to exploit his lack of pace. The evidence was there, and it was there against Yeovil aswell. I’m personally hoping smith brown shows what he’s made of because he looks quick and very good going forward. It’s an issue DA has attempted to cover and hopefully his replacement is good enough to be a starter, I do not fancy another season of him getting skinned at will. Bradley and sawyer combined were to blame for a lot of goals last season, watch Bristol rovers at HP if you want evidence of that, and there’s plenty more.