Michael Mincberg Joins Argyle Board (head of US group investing £4m) | Page 20 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Michael Mincberg Joins Argyle Board (head of US group investing £4m)

Mar 11, 2021
Tavistock
my guess is the money is needed to up the academy to level 2 maybe at the brickfields site which the council want to offload as part of their wider leisure services plan?

also £1m plus to demolish the disaster of the grandstand offices and rebuild to enlarge the function hire area?

maybe safe standing installation too in the Demport?
I think safe standing in the corner between the Demport and Mayflower is the best option but that's just my take - it would be easy to do in relation to other things.

Reactions: JannerinCardiff

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
It's a conglomerate.
And that’s what worries me a little.

It looks like layers and layers of protection and distancing of individuals.

Reactions: Andy B.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
🎫 ST Donor 🎫
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
my guess is the money is needed to up the academy to level 2 maybe at the brickfields site which the council want to offload as part of their wider leisure services plan?

Can‘t see that being big enough, could be wrong. We’re talking acres and acres, and ideally fairly secluded and easy to drive to.

up the line

🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
I think safe standing in the corner between the Demport and Mayflower is the best option but that's just my take - it would be easy to do in relation to other things.
No-one would go there to stand and you'd still have mass standing in the Devonport End.
Construction costs are currently too high to consider filling the corners such is the shape of them.

Aug 24, 2014
Plymouth
I would love to hear Graham Clarks views on this. I enjoy his posts immensely as they are precise, on point and accurate.

Reactions: Andy B. and Biggs
Sep 22, 2020
i suppose the issue with the investment is just that. It is an investment by a group of unconnected people who ultimately want to make money. bit like a venture capital firm getting wealthy individuals together in partnership to make money. Argyle will be one of numerous speculative investments they make. lets hope we are one of the good ones.

buy for £1 sell for £2 presumably is the plan after a bit of 'investment'.

Graham Clark

✅ Evergreen
Nov 18, 2018
The issue with safe standing is the potential obstruction of sight lines of the pitch which is why the two existing quadrants would work. However they may not be the most favoured location. If you were to do it in the Devonport for example you would have to extend it around the adjoining quadrant for the same number of rows to maintain sight lines..

Safe standing solutions are evolving. They do not give additional capacity as the same width seat has to remain an option. At Chelsea the standing rails were retrofitted and worked because the rake of the seating tier, particularly in the upper tier, allowed good visibility even if you were sat down. The 'horseshoe' does not have the same steep rake so a bespoke solution is probably required (See below). That is why the Club have not yet replaced the seating at the Devonport and Barn Park ends as the safe standing seating is a new and more expensive solution for no financial gain in ticket pricing.

1659555140737.png

Graham Clark

✅ Evergreen
Nov 18, 2018
Can‘t see that being big enough, could be wrong. We’re talking acres and acres, and ideally fairly secluded and easy to drive to.
We are not talking of acres and acres like some of the top Premiership clubs. Obviously you will need a couple of top grade full size pitches but other pitches could be flood lit multi-use pitches to ensure extended training and coaching in all weathers. These pitches are used in some of the other Academy Centres in Devon and Cornwall.

Reactions: signalspast

Keith Hennessey

🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿
Jul 17, 2006
Blenheim New Zealand.
I trust SH implicitly so this investment, and the people behind it, can only be good news for Argyle in my view. If SH had sold overall control then, yes, I would be a little apprehensive but his hands are still very much on the wheel of the good ship Mayflower.

I smiled at the comment SH made to IJN re keeping alive for the next ten years as 'things could get very interesting'. As someone fast approaching his 65th birthday my initial thoughts on reading about this investment was utter jealously of the younger members of the Green Army that they may witness Argyle achieving things which old gits like myself have only dreamed of 🤑

So, SH, I'll do my best to stay around for the next 10 years, don't let me down 😂
I would be so p****d off if after supporting Argyle since the early 60’s I hung up my lunchbox before we made the Prem.So annoyed.

Mar 11, 2021
Tavistock
The issue with safe standing is the potential obstruction of sight lines of the pitch which is why the two existing quadrants would work. However they may not be the most favoured location. If you were to do it in the Devonport for example you would have to extend it around the adjoining quadrant for the same number of rows to maintain sight lines..

Safe standing solutions are evolving. They do not give additional capacity as the same width seat has to remain an option. At Chelsea the standing rails were retrofitted and worked because the rake of the seating tier, particularly in the upper tier, allowed good visibility even if you were sat down. The 'horseshoe' does not have the same steep rake so a bespoke solution is probably required (See below). That is why the Club have not yet replaced the seating at the Devonport and Barn Park ends as the safe standing seating is a new and more expensive solution for no financial gain in ticket pricing.

View attachment 5003
The location is the only issue in my view...but it's a big one.
Someone rightly said its a sub-prime area to watch from. Maybe put the away fans in one of the quadrants?
Time for a fan survey...(if the 2 quads are indeed part of the next phase...if they're not so be it).

Nov 12, 2003
These investors will want to see a financial return. So surely its going to involve them making money out of the club at some point in time ?

Unlike Simon Hallett, this group of Americans have no connection with Plymouth or the football club so surely this is simply about them making profits? And I see they are property developers too!

I know they only have a 20% share, but when Kagami joined the board back in 2008 he started with a minority share too. In fact the situation was not much different. The Stapleton board did not have the money to take the club forward and so they sought external investment.

I think this situation needs to be watched very carefully.

Mar 11, 2021
Tavistock
These investors will want to see a financial return. So surely its going to involve them making money out of the club at some point in time ?

Unlike Simon Hallett, this group of Americans have no connection with Plymouth or the football club so surely this is simply about them making profits? And I see they are property developers too!

I know they only have a 20% share, but when Kagami joined the board back in 2008 he started with a minority share too. In fact the situation was not much different. The Stapleton board did not have the money to take the club forward and so they sought external investment.

I think this situation needs to be watched very carefully.
It's night and day comparing the last time we had investment to this. Chalk and cheese.

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff