Maybe, it was not that difficult Schumacher | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Maybe, it was not that difficult Schumacher

Jun 27, 2023
Location wasn't a factor - his family were settled in Plymouth and Schumacher's decision to uproot them went down like a lead balloon in his house.

I posted some quotes in another thread taken from an interview he gave a few weeks before he left for Stoke, in which he said in great detail about how desperate he was to have a top 10 budget in this league and push for the Prem. Yes, he actually used the word 'desperate'. He also spoke about our facilities and how far behind the competition they were.

His salary would have been a 'nice to have', and being closer to Merseyside the same, but the reasons he went were budget and facilities.
All true I'm sure, but budget and facilities were not new to him. He had come off the back of an unbelievable league winning situation etc. as a rookie Manager and is not that old, so where is these people's staying power.

Feb 8, 2005
We have already been through all this, there is a quote from that podcast that is fairly clear. Anyway it doesn't really matter, the point is that in hindsight, signing Azaz in the summer may have made a huge difference to this season, but nobody is blaming the club for not doing so.
I'm sure that we all wished that we had signed Azaz.

Signing Whittaker for £1m was a forgone conclusion.

Signing Mumba was not on the cards immediately, but became a possibility, and with his form in the previous season and winning a few trophies as well became second choice, also for £1m.

Azaz's return to us on loan was late and obviously negotiations had been taking place prior to the move, as he had been left behind from Villa's pre-season tour, and he was not fit when he joined us. Maybe words were said at the end of the previous season that it was the club's intention to purchase him prior to the start of the next season. That never happened because of the purchase of Mumba and perhaps dealing with Villa for his loan again was the reason for his late arrival. Who knows?

Just speculation on my part.

The budget was set, and it was mainly spent on Whittaker and Mumba, and we were not able to purchase Azaz.

With hindsight I am sure that we all wished we could have purchased Azaz instead of Mumba but that is all water under the bridge now, and I am sure that, at the time, there would have been a furore about not purchasing Mumba, when the opportunity to do so would have been revealed later on.

My biggest regret was the fact that he was never replaced, but perhaps the price tag of £2.5m for a replacement was well out of our pockets and it just was not possible to replace such an important piece of our jigsaw, especially in the January window.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
All true I'm sure, but budget and facilities were not new to him. He had come off the back of an unbelievable league winning situation etc. as a rookie Manager and is not that old, so where is these people's staying power.

He may have thought 'I've performed a minor miracle in getting to this position, now give me a bit of backing to push the club forward'.

When he didn't get that, he was looking for other jobs. But would have been nice of him to tell Simon rather than going behind his back, because it was clear his departure was a total shock to SH.

Jun 27, 2023
He may have thought 'I've performed a minor miracle in getting to this position, now give me a bit of backing to push the club forward'.

When he didn't get that, he was looking for other jobs. But would have been nice of him to tell Simon rather than going behind his back, because it was clear his departure was a total shock to SH.
Yes indeed. At the end of the day it all seems to be about Money.

Reactions: DC&CC Totnes
Jun 27, 2019
The budget and facilities wouldn't have been significant factors when you're in the same league as Cheltenham, Shrewsbury etc. The difference between League One and the Championship is stark and I think he realised that pretty early on last summer - hence trying to get the Swansea job and then Bristol City.

As for his staying power, that's what bothered me the most about him leaving. Yeah, we get the money and facilities thing, but you buggered off at the first opportunity and left the club you claimed to care about in the lurch. He saw the tough times coming but didn't have the stomach for it and that's why I lost all respect for the man.

Jon with no H

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 6, 2023
Bolton
The budget and facilities wouldn't have been significant factors when you're in the same league as Cheltenham, Shrewsbury etc. The difference between League One and the Championship is stark and I think he realised that pretty early on last summer - hence trying to get the Swansea job and then Bristol City.

As for his staying power, that's what bothered me the most about him leaving. Yeah, we get the money and facilities thing, but you buggered off at the first opportunity and left the club you claimed to care about in the lurch. He saw the tough times coming but didn't have the stomach for it and that's why I lost all respect for the man.
That's right, it was very difficult to believe what he said at the time about managers always being at risk of losing their jobs.

He was never going to get sacked from the Argyle job, short of pulling a gun on a board meeting or something completely insane like that. Simon Hallett even said "If Schuey lost the dressing room, I'd change the dressing room" or words to that effect.

Jan 6, 2004
That's right, it was very difficult to believe what he said at the time about managers always being at risk of losing their jobs.

He was never going to get sacked from the Argyle job, short of pulling a gun on a board meeting or something completely insane like that. Simon Hallett even said "If Schuey lost the dressing room, I'd change the dressing room" or words to that effect.
What he meant though was a managers stock will rise and fall all the time, no he would not have been sacked if he got relegated but a mediocre performance in league one next season who knows? And he would certainly not be getting offers from places like Stoke.

Personally I think too much has been made of Schumacher going, he knew Azaz was off, he knew there was bugger all in the kitty for the January window, he knew we were over performing the stats significantly and we would not keep it up, he knew the second half of the season was a tougher fixture list than the first, he probably feared (wrongly as it turned out) that Morgan would be sold. In short he knew we would be fighting tooth and nail against relegation and even had he stayed I think we would be in roughly the same position, albeit it might have been a bit more entertaining along the way...

Incidentally and this will be a bit controversial, I think Foster was handed an impossible task for the all reasons set out above and he has become something of scapegoat for huge problems the club already had when he arrived. I dont think anyone would have done much better - although it seems his relationship with the squad is what did for him in the end.

Last edited:

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
If we do stay up I wonder if it's worth making a bid for Azaz? We'll have to pay at least what Middlesbrough paid for him or £3 million, he's not a certain starter for them either.

We'll have the extra TV money and hopefully an investor will be on board during the summer.
On the flip side the new manager may not want Azaz and would prefer to spend that kind of money on several players.

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
If we do stay up I wonder if it's worth making a bid for Azaz? We'll have to pay at least what Middlesbrough paid for him or £3 million, he's not a certain starter for them either.

We'll have the extra TV money and hopefully an investor will be on board during the summer.
On the flip side the new manager may not want Azaz and would prefer to spend that kind of money on several players.
Not a chance. He has settled in well at Boro and been instrumental in recent games as they have improved their league position. I would say he is a certain starter having bedded in and starting in the last 7 games. He will be a main player for them next season and double his value.

Reactions: Fergy

Princerock

♣️ PASALB Member
Aug 14, 2011
When Schumacher left we had 26 points from 22 games and were as close to Preston in 8th place as QPR in 22nd place.
Finn Azaz had just scored 2 goals and had an assist in the 3-2 win against Rotherham.
Since then, 3 'Non Managers' have taken 22 points from 23 games with statistics that have failed to impress.
Schumacher left because some say he didn't want a relegation on his CV.
Maybe Finn going, could and I repeat could, have been stopped.
By all accounts he loved it here and the players loved him.
3 more points from those 23 games would see us have a far more relaxed time this coming Saturday.
Maybe the job was not as difficult as Schumacher thought.
If Schumacher left because of this ' a possible relegation on his CV ', then he clearly wanted it to be a lot easier than we all thought it would be.
I went to my first 2 games against Aston Villa and Portsmouth in the 1960's and have been unable to get Argyle out of my head ever since.
Please beat Hull on Saturday or my Summer will be far less enjoyable.
Thank you. Phil

If Schumacher left because..."he didn't want a relegation on his CV"......then I'm appalled that the man was only interested in himself and not the club that gave him such a chance to become a manager....with the 100% backing of the owner as well....and maybe moving on was the best thing for the club in the end....however successful he had and could be at PAFC if he stayed on.....not the type of person that I'd want guarding my back.

May 4, 2012
Sunderland

Don't think he'll be going anywhere unfortunately. He's finishing the season strongly, with two goals and four assists in the last five games. He's also started all but four games since he went there, those were the four games immediately after they played us, but he was still used in all of those games. I think they're going to be looking to build the team around him next season.

Jan 6, 2004
Don't think he'll be going anywhere unfortunately. He's finishing the season strongly, with two goals and four assists in the last five games. He's also started all but four games since he went there, those were the four games immediately after they played us, but he was still used in all of those games. I think they're going to be looking to build the team around him next season.
I agree, I think Azaz is looking like the real deal (despite the, bless him, anonymous performance against us) and rather than arguably taking a step down back to us, he is more likely to be looking for a move upwards by the end of next season.

Reactions: Belfast Green
Aug 3, 2013
Coningsby
SS had 100% backing of the club and management, players and fans. However what he didnt have was an almost blank cheque to signing players, which he has now at stoke. Irrespective of how well SS did for us i totally agree with SH vision of a sustainable club. After all its not my money being pumped into he club, except the usual fans tickets merch etc. Would have been wonderful to sign Azaz but i have no idea how much he was going for, his wage demands etc. maybe it was too rich for us at that time.

Hindsite is a wonderful thing.

What i do know about supporting Argyle is how we always struggle towards the end of the season, scoring and winning. Last year was the exception.

Aug 30, 2006
Yes I think if shumacher stayed we would've stayed up even without Azaz although along with Cundle a big miss. We had momentum and kudos and a magnet for players in shumacher. But Hardie and Bundu were both injured with some others so we had'nt any credible strikers that's when I think he decided to leave. So it was not signing enough credible strikers last summer was key to him going. At that time with no strikers I remember things Were very bleak. Foster wasn't a natural optimist and didn't recognise what existing players had to offer so over reliant on inexperienced kids at this level with possibly 2 exceptions. Agree also have had argyle big part of daily thinking since 1961/2. We'll need a lot of luck Saturday a cup final yes but we're not too good in one off pressure finals.
Unless you consider beating Leicester a one off pressure Cup Final ......we can do this!

Sep 17, 2017
Schumacher left us for a team below us in the table who were battling relegation so I don't think having a potential relegation on his CV was a big factor in him moving.

As mentioned by others I firmly believe it was to do with money and location. Stoke have more potential as a club as well (at this time) but money and location were key.
Not really an Argyle response but it will be interesting to see what Stoke do regarding SS future. My personal opinion is if they stick with him and with the right level of investment they’ll be in for a fairly decent season. Let’s just hope that we are one of the opposition!