Maybe, it was not that difficult Schumacher | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Maybe, it was not that difficult Schumacher

Jun 27, 2023
When Schumacher left we had 26 points from 22 games and were as close to Preston in 8th place as QPR in 22nd place.
Finn Azaz had just scored 2 goals and had an assist in the 3-2 win against Rotherham.
Since then, 3 'Non Managers' have taken 22 points from 23 games with statistics that have failed to impress.
Schumacher left because some say he didn't want a relegation on his CV.
Maybe Finn going, could and I repeat could, have been stopped.
By all accounts he loved it here and the players loved him.
3 more points from those 23 games would see us have a far more relaxed time this coming Saturday.
Maybe the job was not as difficult as Schumacher thought.
If Schumacher left because of this ' a possible relegation on his CV ', then he clearly wanted it to be a lot easier than we all thought it would be.
I went to my first 2 games against Aston Villa and Portsmouth in the 1960's and have been unable to get Argyle out of my head ever since.
Please beat Hull on Saturday or my Summer will be far less enjoyable.
Thank you. Phil

Oct 1, 2013
The only person who truely knows why SS left is SS (and his wife!).

Anything we add is speculation. And so, for my 2pence worth... i think it has more to do with the finacial clout that Stoke could offer in order for him to progress his career in an area closer to his family home.

Do I begrudge him that? No, its his career and loyalty is a myth in football, created by fans who do not depend on it for a living.

Am i still gutted he left? Absolutely!

Do i believe we would have survived more comfortably had he stayed? 100%.

Maybe Finn and Cundle wouldve left anyway... but i wouldve trusted SS to kept a steady ship and invested in better than Devine and Gyabi.

Argyleloyal

Pasoti Announcer.
Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
Brickfields Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 25, 2016

Anything we add is speculation. And so, for my 2pence worth... i think it has more to do with the finacial clout that Stoke could offer in order for him to progress his career in an area closer to his family home.

Do I begrudge him that? No, its his career and loyalty is a myth in football, created by fans who do not depend on it for a living.

Maybe Finn and Cundle wouldve left anyway... but i wouldve trusted SS to kept a steady ship and invested in better than Devine and Gyabi.

Finn would have definitely left but Cundle would have stayed

Reactions: saxman
Jun 27, 2023

Agreed

Feb 8, 2005
The mistake (with hindsight) that ultimately ruined our season probably happened last summer when we did not buy Azaz for around £1m when we had the chance. I think his departure has been a major catalyst for everything that has gone wrong.
It wasn't a mistake not to buy Azaz because we didn't have the money, but I agree his departure was the start of our demise and the major cause of our possible relegation.

P.S. There are other factors, of course.

Reactions: Simone and saxman

memory man

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey

Like when he invested in the two Wrights? His record of signing players he has not worked with previously is not good.

Reactions: saxman
Jan 6, 2004
It wasn't a mistake not to buy Azaz because we didn't have the money, but I agree his departure was the start of our demise and the major cause of our possible relegation.

P.S. There are other factors, of course.
Jimsing, Simon said if he knew then what he knows now he would have found the money, so in a sense it was a mistake, but not one you could blame him for. I for one certainly did not think Azaz looked worth breaking the bank for last summer.

(of course by the same token if AV had known how he would perform they would have wanted more than £1m!)

Feb 8, 2005
Jimsing, Simon said if he knew then what he knows now he would have found the money, so in a sense it was a mistake, but not one you could blame him for. I for one certainly did not think Azaz looked worth breaking the bank for last summer.

(of course by the same token if AV had known how he would perform they would have wanted more than £1m!)
He actually said HAD the money been available. There was nothing definite about it.

Sep 9, 2009
When Schumacher left we had 26 points from 22 games and were as close to Preston in 8th place as QPR in 22nd place.
Finn Azaz had just scored 2 goals and had an assist in the 3-2 win against Rotherham.
Since then, 3 'Non Managers' have taken 22 points from 23 games with statistics that have failed to impress.
Schumacher left because some say he didn't want a relegation on his CV.
Maybe Finn going, could and I repeat could, have been stopped.
By all accounts he loved it here and the players loved him.
3 more points from those 23 games would see us have a far more relaxed time this coming Saturday.
Maybe the job was not as difficult as Schumacher thought.
If Schumacher left because of this ' a possible relegation on his CV ', then he clearly wanted it to be a lot easier than we all thought it would be.
I went to my first 2 games against Aston Villa and Portsmouth in the 1960's and have been unable to get Argyle out of my head ever since.
Please beat Hull on Saturday or my Summer will be far less enjoyable.
Thank you. Phil
Yes I think if shumacher stayed we would've stayed up even without Azaz although along with Cundle a big miss. We had momentum and kudos and a magnet for players in shumacher. But Hardie and Bundu were both injured with some others so we had'nt any credible strikers that's when I think he decided to leave. So it was not signing enough credible strikers last summer was key to him going. At that time with no strikers I remember things Were very bleak. Foster wasn't a natural optimist and didn't recognise what existing players had to offer so over reliant on inexperienced kids at this level with possibly 2 exceptions. Agree also have had argyle big part of daily thinking since 1961/2. We'll need a lot of luck Saturday a cup final yes but we're not too good in one off pressure finals.

Reactions: Phil Adams
Nov 18, 2011
Schumacher left us for a team below us in the table who were battling relegation so I don't think having a potential relegation on his CV was a big factor in him moving.

As mentioned by others I firmly believe it was to do with money and location. Stoke have more potential as a club as well (at this time) but money and location were key.

Reactions: April 1971
Jun 27, 2023
Schumacher left us for a team below us in the table who were battling relegation so I don't think having a potential relegation on his CV was a big factor in him moving.

As mentioned by others I firmly believe it was to do with money and location. Stoke have more potential as a club as well (at this time) but money and location were key.
Yes money, location, prospects were mostly likely all important in his decision making process, but why trot off at maybe the first opportunity when there is a good plan in place for the future. He is not that old and could have at least given it a go in the championship for one season. I was brought up to change my pants once a day. Why do so many people now wish to change every 5 minutes or so. Stick to the plan you never know it might work out better in the long run.

Reactions: DC&CC Totnes
Jan 6, 2004
He actually said HAD the money been available. There was nothing definite about it.
We have already been through all this, there is a quote from that podcast that is fairly clear. Anyway it doesn't really matter, the point is that in hindsight, signing Azaz in the summer may have made a huge difference to this season, but nobody is blaming the club for not doing so.

Reactions: vibratingspider
Jun 27, 2019

Location wasn't a factor - his family were settled in Plymouth and Schumacher's decision to uproot them went down like a lead balloon in his house.

I posted some quotes in another thread taken from an interview he gave a few weeks before he left for Stoke, in which he said in great detail about how desperate he was to have a top 10 budget in this league and push for the Prem. Yes, he actually used the word 'desperate'. He also spoke about our facilities and how far behind the competition they were.

His salary would have been a 'nice to have', and being closer to Merseyside the same, but the reasons he went were budget and facilities.