Mark McGhee sacked | Page 5 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Mark McGhee sacked

Nov 12, 2012
Yes I dont think the board losing out on their primary choice of DOF will help confidence or moral at the club, just you watch I reckon this will be spun as "The type of skills and experience provided by the applicants for the DOF position were not conjusive with what we believe would help support CF and the boards aim in helping the development and progression of Pllymouth Argyle", a gentle way of U turning without admitting it.

Nov 29, 2011
Plymouth
mattym":elmm3lrg said:
I have heard it from a source within Argyle that they are considering doing a u turn on the DOF position and scrapping the idea altogether.

Due to two decent results in a row? :doh:

Had a feeling this would happen Saturday night when McGhee got the boot.

cheshiregreen

✅ Evergreen
Feb 17, 2004
cheshire
Mark_Colling":3liyogis said:
Longwellgreen":3liyogis said:
Speaking to a good friend who was in the Bristol Rovers directors presence at York yesterday, a Ward/Tilson partnership is the favoured one at The Mem. I am not aware if that is already in the process of happening. He is rarely wrong on BRFC matters.
I spoke to someone this morning who spoke with two of Rovers' directors last week. One of them described the Ward/Tilson partnership favoured by the other as a "romantic notion".

Evening post

No Tilson, but that will not help us it seems.

John Ward has emerged as a hot favourite to become Bristol Rovers' new manager.

Having sacked Mark McGhee at the weekend, the Pirates have called a 4pm press conference for today at the Memorial Stadium.

And Ward, who spent a spell in charge at Rovers during the mid-1990s, is expected to be unveiled as McGhee's successor.

Out of work since being sacked by League One Colchester United earlier this season, Ward last week verbally agreed a deal to become director of football at Plymouth Argyle.

His appointment was due to be formally announced at Home Park today, but Ward failed to appear in Devon after telling Argyle officials he had undergone a change of heart.

He was instead understood to be travelling from his home in the Midlands to Bristol to conclude a deal with Rovers after being offered the chance to succeed McGhee over the weekend.

An outsider with bookmakers last night, Ward's odds had this morning been cut to 1/5 on by Skybet.

Nov 12, 2012
What gets me is the statement " after argyle agreed a verbal deal with John Ward", this is proof that verbal agreements dont mean anything especially in football, we (argyle) just dont seem to learn, if we really wanted him for the DOF position we should have got a written signature urhhhh.

Perhaps this could lead the way for a Lee Hodges and CF joint coaching managerial role, well here's hoping - how foolish of me :scarf:

Nov 12, 2012
Argyle Boards new idea, keep CF and Mark McGhee as new DOF, M McGhee has the footy experience were looking for but he wont be able to influence team selection and tactics :funny: :furious:

Oct 10, 2012
mattym":2bvanldk said:
Argyle Boards new idea, keep CF and Mark McGhee as new DOF, M McGhee has the footy experience were looking for but he wont be able to influence team selection and tactics :funny: :furious:

That'll be a good thing :thumbs: