Managers comments on BBC site | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Managers comments on BBC site

Apr 15, 2004
East Devon
Tugboat":2hl145ey said:
[
There's no connection with argyle, it just seems an early opportunity to ply his trade and try out his revised occupation.
Sorry Tugboat but how can you say there's not a connection with Argyle? After all the s**t he and the other players put up with in the last couple of seasons and then giving up a good couple of years of his playing career to take over what looked a pretty hopeless situation ā€“ you donā€™t think that counts? He could have learned to ā€œply his tradeā€ a few years later with all his connections, perhaps learning as an assistant or coach elsewhere ā€“ that would have been the safe thing to do. But he was here, the club was nearly dead and he was asked if heā€™d jump in the deep end to try and save it. He Did. Maybe if he churned out the bullpoo that Holloway wowed us with that would be deemed ā€œhaving a connectionā€?

Dec 7, 2006
What absolute tosh! Better location? Don't make me laugh. Fans had realistic expectations? Oh pleeeze - if expecting to see the team winning at HP more often than not for once is unrealistic then we may as well all give up. Complete twaddle from one of the last evergreen-tints. Pah!

Jul 6, 2005
Nobby":j7c04l6e said:
To be honest, I don't care what Fletcher says. Him laying abuse into the players won't get us three points back.

As long as he is saying the right things off camera then I couldn't give a rats arse what I get to see on the Tele.
Results and performances would suggest that he is not saying the 'right things' off camera, on the training ground or in the changing room.

However, I agree that publicly slagging off the players is not the right thing to do.

The most worrying thing for me is when he says (yet again) that he needs to watch the DVD to see what's wrong.

We are conceding simple goals week-in, week-out because we cannot do the basics when it comes to defending.

Everyone knows you just have to punt the ball into the Argyle box to cause utter panic, so do something about it!

As for his so-called passing style using lightweight midgets, it never has and never will succeed at this level.

But in any event, all we actually do is pass the ball around in our half without much effect only to end up knocking it back to defender to lump it up to 5'8" Feeney jumping against a 6'2" defender.

We are not getting beaten by teams who play good football, they are just better organised and make less mistakes and that was how we were successful at this level under Sturrock.

Being organised and being professional is the key to success at this lowly level and technical ability is a bonus.

That is why the Manager is such a key person.

monkeywrench

Administrator
Staff member
Brickfields Donor
āœ… Evergreen
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
Jan 12, 2006
Cornwall
FordGreen":n9abxnjt said:
What absolute tosh! Better location? Don't make me laugh. Fans had realistic expectations? Oh pleeeze - if expecting to see the team winning at HP more often than not for once is unrealistic then we may as well all give up. Complete twaddle from one of the last evergreen-tints. Pah!

Charming.

I'm just making suggestions as to some of the reasons why he might have done so well so quickly. It may have nothing to do with that of course, it might just be that he's the better manager, end of. But things aren't always black and white.

B

big white

I said it before this style of football in league 2 (Div 4) will get us in trouble ,its nice to pass the ball about but its got to end up in the opponents onion bag which doesn't happen .Fans have had 4 seasons of misery ,seen us slump from a decent Championship side to a very poor league 2 one ,not all to do with the financial problems ,so we have a right to feel agrieved .Nothing wrong with being proud and standing by your principles but its better to realise when your wrong and do something about it .Last night was not all bad people tend to highlight those periods ,but a change ,more attacking is needed ,goals win games. :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:

ejh

Sep 27, 2012
Bezza":21bj31lp said:
Fletcher seems to have no bond with the fans...Every other argyle manager has always spoken in revered tones about the potential of argyle, the amazing away followings...I remember Sturrocks interview after the midweek win at Sheff W in 2003 when we took 2500 for a night game, he was in awe.....there just seems to be no emotion, no feeling, nothing. If we fans feel like that, how on earth is he motivating his team? Also, why do people assume just because he is young he will make a good manager, perhaps he just cant do it, much like Victoria Pendleton cant dance, even though she is a well fit bird!!!

Eddie Howe showed IMMEDIATE ability at AFC Bournemouth when he was a similar age to Fletch and it was obvious what a special manager he was, with no money....Fletch hasnt shown any of this...I think we only stayed up last year, because once we came out of administration and had a new owner, some stability returned to the club..

I agree about Fletcher's distance with the fans. He has made some odd comments at times, criticising the fans for putting pressure on his young players at the start of the season, when in reality it was just a handful of plebs. "They'll have me to deal with" I think was an expression he used, strangely confrontational. Then there was the time his wife tweeted 'Take that Green Army!' after Argyle got that last minute winner, or words to that effect. Again completely odd. And this is long before 65% of a pasoti poll wanted him gone with immediate effect.

Dec 2, 2010
Fetcher's comments really are ridiculous. This 'just a job' mentality sums up what's wrong with the coaching set up.

How many of us have had our day ruined by last night's result.....and on most matchdays!

Oct 24, 2010
Cerbera":4kgh8qv3 said:
esmer":4kgh8qv3 said:
Pretty much spot on apart from the last 15 minutes, we were a bit deflated and disjointed after their goals.

You ARE Carl Fletcher, and I claim my five pounds.

How did you view the first half then esmer? Excellent passing football?

:doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh:
We did OK, we were well organised, defended well and prevented Burton from being any threat to us. Not a great half of football but overall we had the best of it and wouldn't have been flattered by a lead.

Don't you like people disagreeing with you?

Feb 21, 2008
Plymouth
esmer":1c7xjo5z said:
Cerbera":1c7xjo5z said:
esmer":1c7xjo5z said:
Pretty much spot on apart from the last 15 minutes, we were a bit deflated and disjointed after their goals.

We did OK, we were well organised, defended well and prevented Burton from being any threat to us. Not a great half of football but overall we had the best of it and wouldn't have been flattered by a lead.

Sidetracking a bit Esmer, as you're someone whose opinions I look out for on here, do you think we missed Hourihane yesterday and struggled playing a passing game without him?

I wasn't there yesterday but that was the view I got without him at Dorchester and people said the same about Rotherham too.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
:furious:
Ave_IT":3qze3vbw said:
He must wonder why he bothers speaking to the press at all if people wilfully twist his words. His meaning was clear ā€“ keep disappointments in perspective and start again tomorrow. He acknowledges the pressure and the right of fans to express their feelings but correctly points out that one game doesnā€™t change things. How the Hell is that slight on the fans or a sign he doesnā€™t give a toss?

"In the second half we got our rewards, the tempo was a little bit higher - we had complete control of the game really and we went and lost it 2-1"

explain that onre to me then? we were in complete control and lost the game?? wtf?? does that make any sense?

we lost the game cos we did not control it after we went 1-0 up.
you can't lose a game you are in control of?

i was in complete control of my car, then i went and ran Bradley Wiggins over M'Lud?? WTF??!!

Jan 29, 2010
plymouth
This man has completely lost the plot.If he does not feel the pressure lets give him something to feel , by this i mean a non violent but verbal protest at the next home game.The vast majority of Argyle fans want this useless clown out so why not tell him so with chants of Fletcher out from the kick off of Saturdays defeat to Gillinghanm.Just go Fletcher nobody wants you here.

Jul 16, 2008
I agree with him when he says I don't see how we lost that game, they had 2 shots on target and 2 goals. A bit more decisiveness from Cole and we would all be celebrating a 1-0 win and 3 points.

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
They were not shots but headers! Having said that, I take your point that Cole did not cover himself in glory in dealing with either of the goals scored in his net.

It is so basic that you do not as a keeper punch/flap/or head a ball coming at you back into the area of play. It should go over, out for a corner or out to the wings of play.

The first goal found Cole in the end, lying in the back of the net on his backside. How did he achieve that? If he was bundled in there, was it a foul, but I do know he did not take firm command of the situation when an easy header came looping towards him in a crowded 6 yard area.

Oct 24, 2010
GreenSam":3rtur5sm said:
esmer":3rtur5sm said:
Cerbera":3rtur5sm said:
esmer":3rtur5sm said:

Sidetracking a bit Esmer, as you're someone whose opinions I look out for on here, do you think we missed Hourihane yesterday and struggled playing a passing game without him?

I wasn't there yesterday but that was the view I got without him at Dorchester and people said the same about Rotherham too.
I think Hourihaine is a good player at this level and we are stronger with him in the team but although we played with two up front last night and were a bit more direct, when we got the ball down we passed it pretty well, particularly in the second half. Young had a decent game but it will be interesting to see how Hourihaine and Lowry get on together on Saturday, assuming Lowry can handle three games in a week.