Managers comments on BBC site | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Managers comments on BBC site

Dec 20, 2011
jimbo_the_green":7ux1dz78 said:
I really can't see what health has to do with anything. I'll try that argument with my boss or a client next time I do something wrong and see how far it gets me. After the Dorchester game he said something similar. I don't go to watch Argyle to keep my health maintained.

I like CF as an individual and liked him as a player and our captain but as a manager he's come up very short. He's out of his depth and it is painfully obvious. If he doesn't want a mentor (as I've read on here repeatedly) then he is accepting the responsibility for his shortcomings. He's probably capable of keeping us up again just about but that's not what we've been led to expect by our chairman.

My fear is our 'promotion' budget this year will deliver nothing but another poor finish and a reduced budget next year as crowds continue to tail off.

How long before loyalty to the manager becomes interpretable as arrogance and disdain for the football side of the business? It's an attitude that is creeping in more and more and I'm struggling not to sympathise with it.
:iagree:

Apr 4, 2010
Cornwall
I take this as meaning Fletch does feel under a lot of pressure, he remains pretty quiet usually so why speak up now? He heard the boos last night and knows exactly what he is facing if things don't turnaround fast. This is nothing more than an attempt to relieve a bit of pressure going into Saturday's game, I myself feel it will have the exact opposite effect.

What I do feel however is that once again comments made by Fletch almost suggest he sees the fans as a sort of hinderance to his team, "But at the end of the day we're all healthy and we'll all go home and see our families and tomorrow's another day" as others have said suggests a mentality of "fans can say what they like, sticks and stone will break our bones but words...". The thing is this isn't a "we" scenario, where the manager left the field to a chorus of boos (by a minority I must add), his players were applauded for their efforts as they left the field of play.

Jul 6, 2011
Frank_Butcher":2qq0pg5z said:
Actually I'm miffed too. I thought Burton were very average and there for the beating.

They were there for the beating, but the players failed, tomorrows another day.

Argyle have been a bit unfortunate with injuries and suspensions, but that needs to stop being the excuse. what I would like to see:

1 Passion and commitment to the cause
2 Don't play so deep, especially after scoring. Finish the job off
3 Cole not to punch all the time
4 A leader on the pitch who is prepared to scream and shout and push the team forward (Dont feel Max is up to this)
5 Regular matches for the reserves, so they can be a little prepared to step in. Thinking mostly of players like Nick Chadwick, Tyler Harvey, Jordan Copp, Robbie Williams, Rene Gilmartin & all the others who are probably not fully matchfit.

4-3-1-2 formation for me
And as for us fans, just support players & management. I'm sure (hoping) it will come together.

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
To be honest, I don't care what Fletcher says. Him laying abuse into the players won't get us three points back.

As long as he is saying the right things off camera then I couldn't give a rats arse what I get to see on the Tele.

Mar 2, 2008
briangreen":3azkv73r said:
Frank_Butcher":3azkv73r said:
Actually I'm miffed too. I thought Burton were very average and there for the beating.

Argyle have been a bit unfortunate with injuries and suspensions, but that needs to stop being the excuse. what I would like to see:

4 A leader on the pitch who is prepared to scream and shout and push the team forward (Dont feel Max is up to this)
5 Regular matches for the reserves, so they can be a little prepared to step in. Thinking mostly of players like Nick Chadwick, Tyler Harvey, Jordan Copp, Robbie Williams, Rene Gilmartin & all the others who are probably not fully matchfit.

4-3-1-2 formation for me
And as for us fans, just support players & management. I'm sure (hoping) it will come together.

Every team suffers from injuries and suspensions so I don't buy that. you could even stretch it to say we are not even that 'unfortunate' with regards to suspensions.

Mar 23, 2008
Least we are all healthy and we can go and see fireworks, sod the football! By orders of the management.

Feb 21, 2008
Plymouth
Plympton Pong":1pn6zctj said:
briangreen":1pn6zctj said:
Frank_Butcher":1pn6zctj said:

4-3-1-2 formation for me

Every team suffers from injuries and suspensions so I don't buy that. you could even stretch it to say we are not even that 'unfortunate' with regards to suspensions.
I think it's a bit of a myth that teams who have the most injuries have the worst luck too.

The Secret Physio who writes on the same site as The Secret Footballer and former Wales assistant manager Raymond Verheijen have both written extensively about how both training schedules and decisions made by the management team to rush players into action can have a severe adverse affect on the number of injuries picked up.

Sep 16, 2009
Bournemouth
Fletcher seems to have no bond with the fans...Every other argyle manager has always spoken in revered tones about the potential of argyle, the amazing away followings...I remember Sturrocks interview after the midweek win at Sheff W in 2003 when we took 2500 for a night game, he was in awe.....there just seems to be no emotion, no feeling, nothing. If we fans feel like that, how on earth is he motivating his team? Also, why do people assume just because he is young he will make a good manager, perhaps he just cant do it, much like Victoria Pendleton cant dance, even though she is a well fit bird!!!

Eddie Howe showed IMMEDIATE ability at AFC Bournemouth when he was a similar age to Fletch and it was obvious what a special manager he was, with no money....Fletch hasnt shown any of this...I think we only stayed up last year, because once we came out of administration and had a new owner, some stability returned to the club..

Feb 21, 2008
Plymouth
Bezza":qxqc1mv3 said:
Fletcher seems to have no bond with the fans...Every other argyle manager has always spoken in revered tones about the potential of argyle, the amazing away followings...I remember Sturrocks interview after the midweek win at Sheff W in 2003 when we took 2500 for a night game, he was in awe.....there just seems to be no emotion, no feeling, nothing. If we fans feel like that, how on earth is he motivating his team? Also, why do people assume just because he is young he will make a good manager, perhaps he just cant do it, much like Victoria Pendleton cant dance, even though she is a well fit bird!!!

Eddie Howe showed IMMEDIATE ability at AFC Bournemouth when he was a similar age to Fletch and it was obvious what a special manager he was, with no money....Fletch hasnt shown any of this...I think we only stayed up last year, because once we came out of administration and had a new owner, some stability returned to the club..
Good post on Eddie Howe. It's why I've long held the view that Fletch is doing badly because he is inexperienced as twaddle. He's doing badly because he isn't very good at it.

I guess there's a case to be made for Eddie Howe having experienced coaching though.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
Bezza":dgkvmccq said:

Another valid and quite prominent remark.

There's no connection with argyle, it just seems an early opportunity to ply his trade and try out his revised occupation.

Apr 15, 2004
East Devon
He must wonder why he bothers speaking to the press at all if people wilfully twist his words. His meaning was clear – keep disappointments in perspective and start again tomorrow. He acknowledges the pressure and the right of fans to express their feelings but correctly points out that one game doesn’t change things. How the Hell is that slight on the fans or a sign he doesn’t give a toss?

monkeywrench

Administrator
Staff member
Brickfields Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jan 12, 2006
Cornwall
Ave_IT":ks1jzca9 said:
He must wonder why he bothers speaking to the press at all if people wilfully twist his words. His meaning was clear – keep disappointments in perspective and start again tomorrow. He acknowledges the pressure and the right of fans to express their feelings but correctly points out that one game doesn’t change things. How the Hell is that slight on the fans or a sign he doesn’t give a toss?

Because a certain section of the fan base want him out and will read into it what they want.

monkeywrench

Administrator
Staff member
Brickfields Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jan 12, 2006
Cornwall
GreenSam":3rjioq3y said:
Bezza":3rjioq3y said:

Good post on Eddie Howe. It's why I've long held the view that Fletch is doing badly because he is inexperienced as twaddle. He's doing badly because he isn't very good at it.

I guess there's a case to be made for Eddie Howe having experienced coaching though.

And had better players to coach? And was in a better location? And had fans that had realistic expectations?