Macey v Letheren | Page 14 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Macey v Letheren

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
justanotherfan":2bd1lcck said:
Nobby":2bd1lcck said:
Anyone willing to admit after yesterday that it may be possibility that it’s a Defence problem and not a goalkeeper problem?

Because for all of Letheren’s commanding presence and organisation of the defence, we conceded two free headers and a counter attack that started when he fluffed his kick.

Mr Nobby, Letheren found an Argyle player who then passed the ball to a gillingham player to start the counter attack.

He fluffed the kick. Quite obviously.

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
gaz_the_green":13jtdpk9 said:
In defence of the keepers, if they make a mistake, it could cost a goal, but what about the other positions, how many times have we seen a fwd miss a sitter, or a poor pass or a cross when we've had players un marked, mid fielders not picking up a runner or miss placing a pass and defenders giving the ball away in our own 3rd or not marking players. Or the manager making poor decisions or substitutions, and poorly conditioned players getting injured in training, then getting injured by poor rehab or getting rushed back to quick due to poor treatment and training.Their all culpable in our current down fall.

Absolutely, I agree.

But I’ve been told time and time again, that our defensive problems are down to Macey not organising or communicating with the defence. Despite the defence very clearly failing to do the basics. It was no different with KL yesterday. The defence is miles below the standard required.

Mar 16, 2009
London
Nobby":8s5o7zae said:
gaz_the_green":8s5o7zae said:
In defence of the keepers, if they make a mistake, it could cost a goal, but what about the other positions, how many times have we seen a fwd miss a sitter, or a poor pass or a cross when we've had players un marked, mid fielders not picking up a runner or miss placing a pass and defenders giving the ball away in our own 3rd or not marking players. Or the manager making poor decisions or substitutions, and poorly conditioned players getting injured in training, then getting injured by poor rehab or getting rushed back to quick due to poor treatment and training.Their all culpable in our current down fall.

Absolutely, I agree.

But I’ve been told time and time again, that our defensive problems are down to Macey not organising or communicating with the defence. Despite the defence very clearly failing to do the basics. It was no different with KL yesterday. The defence is miles below the standard required.

Totally agree with you Nobby.
What’s more Macey has won us points on many occasions this season. He’s made world class saves. When can the same be said about Letheren, who’s done the basic stuff adequately (and also made howlers) but little more?

Macey would have saved the third goal. But then his distribution when playing out from the back is much better than Letheren’s so is unlikely to have put us in that position in the first place.

Mar 16, 2009
London
Letheren was also at fault for the first goal. He should have cut out the cross, but stayed rooted to his line. The warning sign was there in the first half where again he froze as the ball came in along the ground from from our right. We were lucky not to concede from that too.

G

greengiant1886

Justin":25kv0ese said:
Nobby":25kv0ese said:
gaz_the_green":25kv0ese said:

Absolutely, I agree.

What’s more Macey has won us points on many occasions this season. He’s made world class saves. When can the same be said about Letheren, who’s done the basic stuff adequately (and also made howlers) but little more?

Macey would have saved the third goal. But then his distribution when playing out from the back is much better than Letheren’s so is unlikely to have put us in that position in the first place.
Macey's distribution is horrendous.

Aug 5, 2016
justanotherfan":3h29mdj6 said:
Nobby":3h29mdj6 said:
Anyone willing to admit after yesterday that it may be possibility that it’s a Defence problem and not a goalkeeper problem?

Because for all of Letheren’s commanding presence and organisation of the defence, we conceded two free headers and a counter attack that started when he booted the ball to the opposition...

Mr Nobby, Letheren found an Argyle player who then passed the ball to a gillingham player to start the counter attack.

Found an Argyle player? He attempted to clear the ball upfield and it smashed Canavan in his guts when he was surrounded by Gillingham forwards by himself.

Not many centre backs at any level of football would have expected, wanted or dealt with the sitiation Canavan found himself after that.

Jan 17, 2017
Bovey Tracey
Justin":202o34p4 said:
Nobby":202o34p4 said:
gaz_the_green":202o34p4 said:

Absolutely, I agree.

I'm sorry Justin but you're so blinkered it's unreal.

Yes Macey made the odd wonder save but lets offset that with the number of fluffs he made.

I believe he was at fault for 4 or 5 goals before xmas (at least) by poor clearances (I vividly remember him passing it direct to a striker at home - can't remember the team though) or parrying the ball back into the danger area when he should have caught it.

He saved 2 penalties but passed them both back to the kick taker to slot away, whereas when Carey's pen was saved the Charlton GK managed to rebound it to the wing.

The defence have no faith in him (proven by Eddy last week) to do anything but stay pinned to his line.

I'm not saying Letheren is better, or that the defence are not at fault, it's just their better games this season have all been while Letheren was in goal.

Our whole back 5 have been poor this season, our GKs have been especailly appauling, although Letheren has been least-worse of the two.

Next season I think you'll see Macey in League 2 if he's lucky, for his age he's very poor.

justanotherfan

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🍌 Bomber Harris.
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 4, 2012
Plymouth
Knibbsworth":39f2nh14 said:
justanotherfan":39f2nh14 said:
Nobby":39f2nh14 said:

Because for all of Letheren’s commanding presence and organisation of the defence, we conceded two free headers and a counter attack that started when he booted the ball to the opposition...

Found an Argyle player? He attempted to clear the ball upfield and it smashed Canavan in his guts when he was surrounded by Gillingham forwards by himself.

Not many centre backs at any level of football would have expected, wanted or dealt with the sitiation Canavan found himself after that.

He chested the ball down and then attempted a soft pass to his right, if in trouble the row z was waiting.