Macey v Letheren | Page 12 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Macey v Letheren

David Friio's mate

✅ Evergreen
Apr 8, 2019
arthpafc":3uoh5s0e said:
He was poor again today at Doncaster that's putting it politely

Sadly, yes he was.

Not just the obvious positional howler for their second - there was another instance in the first half where he didn't call for a ball and between him and Edwards nearly handed Doncaster a goal.

He's got real shot stopping talent it seems, but in practical match situations he's a constant accident waiting to happen.

Letheren isn't exactly Allisson Becker but I'd have him over Macey in a heartbeat.

Apr 4, 2010
Cornwall
It would seem that the only people who want Macey to player are Matt himself, Adams and Macey's dad that posts on here every so often.

Sadly one of those people picks the line-up for us every week. The only hope is that he figures out the blindingly obvious fact that most of us spotted after watching this guy for 5-10 games; yes he can make a good save now and again but he really isn't a very good goalkeeper.

We will go down if Macey plays in our remaining games, if he's dropped NOW we may just scrape enough points to keep us out of the bottom 4.

Pathetic season from us whatever happens in the final games though...

Aug 30, 2006
Sheffield
Edwards had a shocking first 15 minutes yesterday that has to be recognised. However on at least 3 other occasions through the match he could be seen shouting at Macey for presumed misunderstandings between them.
Now I don’t know which one was at fault on each occasion but the clear evidence since the Sunderland game is that Edwards puts in a better performance when Letheren is behind him

Mar 23, 2008
Has there ever been a more mystifying selection pattern than this? The defence clearly enjoys playing in front of Letheren far more, evidenced by performances and results.

Mike Greening

♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Aug 2, 2008
Adams and Macey should go for the benefit of the club and supporters. Both have reached the limit of their capabilities We desperately need a new manager with a Torquay type turnaround. :furious:

Oct 5, 2013
I see the manager is now openly saying he's going to make changes for the next match. 3 or 4 games too late, but let's hope it's enough to keep us up. Let's also hope that as part of these changes, Letheren at last gets his deserved place back.

It amazes me that so many on here say how bad we are defensively, as if this has nothing whatsoever to do with the keeper, when the keeper is always the fundamental figure in the whole defensive unit, because he's the only one who can see the whole play and who therefore has to be the one to give directions to the defence.

When Letheren plays he is very vocal, when Macey plays he barely says a word, and that's the difference. People at the match saying how Edwards gave Macey a number of bawlings at Doncaster, and that says it all, really.

Oct 31, 2015
philevs":25lh6p60 said:
I see the manager is now openly saying he's going to make changes for the next match. 3 or 4 games too late, but let's hope it's enough to keep us up. Let's also hope that as part of these changes, Letheren at last gets his deserved place back.

It amazes me that so many on here say how bad we are defensively, as if this has nothing whatsoever to do with the keeper, when the keeper is always the fundamental figure in the whole defensive unit, because he's the only one who can see the whole play and who therefore has to be the one to give directions to the defence.

When Letheren plays he is very vocal, when Macey plays he barely says a word, and that's the difference. People at the match saying how Edwards gave Macey a number of bawlings at Doncaster, and that says it all, really.

This all day long.

I have read loads of tosh on this thread about Macey not to blame for the Rovers, Blackpool, Charlton, Doncaster goals but ultimately the whole defensive unit is poorer because he does not guide and shout, He does not control his area and he does not talk. This the crux of the issue, NOT the fancy Dan saves :furious: :banghead:

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
rsp4":4v6lpt2r said:
philevs":4v6lpt2r said:

This all day long.

I have read loads of tosh on this thread about Macey not to blame for the Rovers, Blackpool, Charlton, Doncaster goals but ultimately the whole defensive unit is poorer because he does not guide and shout, He does not control his area and he does not talk. This the crux of the issue, NOT the fancy Dan saves :furious: :banghead:

Don’t agree entirely. Whilst I think Letheren should come back in, you can pinpoint individual errors in every one of those goals and none of them from the keeper barring yesterday’s free kick. I don’t care whether Letheren or Macey is in goal, if you can’t put your foot through a ball and clear it you’re going to get punished and that isn’t down to the goalkeeper. Yesterday’s first and both Blackpool goals are a failure from our team to clear their lines. The goals against Charlton were individual errors from the centre backs, the goals v Rovers were one worldy and another mistake from a centre back.

There’s talk as if Edwards and Canavan are good defenders who just fall apart when Macey plays. That’s just not the case. They’re both very poor, are woefully lacking in mobility and concentration and they let centre forwards run off them in the box. They’re making these mistakes every week and being punished for them. Part of that could be down to the keepers failure to communicate but not when it is happening all the time. The defenders have to take responsibility for doing the basics correctly and they are both repeatedly failing to do so.

May 16, 2016
Here's a thought, if Carey had scored from a free kick like that yesterday, would the conversation be about how good the goal was or how poor their Keeper was ?

Oct 5, 2013
Obviously if people on here would pick Macey ahead of Letheren, or can’t see that the greater role of a keeper is to guide the defence, then that’s how they see it.

But I wonder how they explain the downturn in form since Letheren has not played?

If Macey plays the last 4 games, I could honestly see us getting relegated.

Let’s see who DA picks next weekend, as that will indicate how he sees it...

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
Justin":16hoesvs said:
I don't care if this makes me unpopular, but Matt is a far, far better keeper than Kyle. And he will keep getting better and better.

Fair play to Kyle for performing when called upon, he clearly has a brilliant attitude.
I think that a few of us already knew your thoughts, Justin and, for the record, of the 94 who voted yesterday Macey was only just pipped by Foxy for MotM

Based on recent performances, I am Letheren IN.

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
I don’t want to diss Macey. But for me Letheren has to play the next game.

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
If Macey plays the next game, I’ll be convinced that it’s to do with a clause in his loan contract.

Oct 5, 2013
JannerinCardiff":2feydqnu said:
If Macey plays the next game, I’ll be convinced that it’s to do with a clause in his loan contract.

Yes because even the manager referred to Macey not doing his job correctly in the setting up of the wall for their second on Saturday, when he was openly talking about making changes.
If Macey does play out the season, my prediction is that we will get relegated.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
JannerinCardiff":3cr14u87 said:

Yep. It's getting that strange, and it's also I think it's very likely Arsenal HAVE put a clause in his contract. There's no way they'll be happy with a 24-year-old first team (he played in the Europa League at least) player of theirs not getting on the pitch in League 1.

To Nobby's post above saying there weren't any Macey individual errors and the fault was with defenders not clearing their lines... yes that's their fault, but when you have a good communicator in goal you're not so hesitant and nervous. With Letheren behind them shouting instructions, they know exactly what to do in most situations because he's telling them. When it's silent, they're caught in two minds and inevitably that leads to more balls ups.