Leaving early | Page 8 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Leaving early

Sep 6, 2006
Gary_Wills":17vl2cow said:
Not forgetting that the last ten minutes and in particular added time typically represents the worst value entertainment wise, cowardly time wasting, keep ball, play acting garbage. That ain’t worth wasting time seeing. And the thing is merely supposed to be entertainment afterall.

So it seems entirely illogical most times infact to stay. Unless penned in, like at international away outings.

And that lull in entertainment is, conversely, rarely the case for cinema and theatre is it. So no parallel to point to there.

Stats show most likely time for a goal is last 5 minutes.

Sep 25, 2010
Adam_R":34c43ksy said:
Pays you money, makes your choice. But the stewards should make sure they are shepherded out into the concourse and not loiter around the advertising boards.
They are not only loitering by the advertising boards, but stoping on the stairs, when there is a bit of action, on the pitch

Oct 16, 2016
chester":1ouf95tu said:
Shankster":1ouf95tu said:
Of course I’m right sweet cheeks, it’s an opinion, how can I be wrong?

Lovely to hear from you, I always look forward to Sunday’s xx

In an earlier post on this thread you mentioned the Premiership & league. Did you mean the Scottish Premiership or the Rugby Union Premiership. The top of the football league pyramid is the Premier League. This is for information purposes only.Kind regards.

Pendants beware

I thank you

Feb 21, 2012
Plymouth
Well, Gary Wills,Good job the Exeter fans did not leave during added time at Crewe last week,or they would not have seen their team win,also never forget Friio's brace against Gillingham!

Jun 4, 2016
The funniest one I ever heard about was the wycombe fans at Wembley after beating us in the playoffs. They were losing by 2 odd goals I believe and a lot of them left early (to catch a train or something probably...) In the last couple of minutes wycombe equalized and it ran to penalties. All the early leavers were apparently falling over themselves trying to get back into the stadium but were refused re entry! Lol

Oct 3, 2003
Dundee
Yes, Balham, the stats do suggest that the poor quality of late play induces more sugar fixes of goals [of unspecified quality], and so that keeps with the lab-test rats' approach of not leaving or do anything frankly until instructed to.

But the point, ron, that an exception creates a rule of thumb seems a poor logic to me. Sometimes it'll be worth staying, oftentimes it won't, is all. If away from home, and one would be merely be off to essentially stand and wait for transport back to the beautiful south, then maybe there's nothing better to do than carry on watching, in any event. And by generation X's logic of course, to sit watching stuff is the most passionate thing one can possibly do. So a big tick there.

Apr 4, 2010
Cornwall
This topic rears its head every so often. As others have said if people wish to leave early then that's their business not anyone else's. Why some on here feel they are owed an explanation on why others leave early strikes me as a bit odd really. We all have our own circumstances and as much as it can feel like it at times, life doesn't always revolve around Argyle.

If we're talking about people standing along the bottom of the stand to beat the traffic without actually leaving then that's a whole other matter. Personally I try to find a vacated seat at the bottom near the end if I've got to get out quick. I don't doubt it's not nice for people at the bottom when others stand in the way, especially as a lot of the people at the front are disabled fans who have to sit. I do think more could therefore be done by stewards to ensure people are actually leaving, not just standing at the front. Equally stewards could be directing leavers towards their closest exit to reduce the traffic flow at the bottom of the stand.

Thing is we've all paid our money so we should all be able to watch as much of the game as we want to.

Jun 4, 2016
Gary_Wills":2c3wwlnn said:
Yes, Balham, the stats do suggest that the poor quality of late play induces more sugar fixes of goals [of unspecified quality], and so that keeps with the lab-test rats' approach of not leaving or do anything frankly until instructed to.

But the point, ron, that an exception creates a rule of thumb seems a poor logic to me. Sometimes it'll be worth staying, oftentimes it won't, is all. If away from home, and one would be merely be off to essentially stand and wait for transport back to the beautiful south, then maybe there's nothing better to do than carry on watching, in any event. And by generation X's logic of course, to sit watching stuff is the most passionate thing one can possibly do. So a big tick there.

What a wierd post.

Oct 16, 2016
Ollieargyle9":1zs55peq said:
This topic rears its head every so often. As others have said if people wish to leave early then that's their business not anyone else's. Why some on here feel they are owed an explanation on why others leave early strikes me as a bit odd really. We all have our own circumstances and as much as it can feel like it at times, life doesn't always revolve around Argyle.

If we're talking about people standing along the bottom of the stand to beat the traffic without actually leaving then that's a whole other matter. Personally I try to find a vacated seat at the bottom near the end if I've got to get out quick. I don't doubt it's not nice for people at the bottom when others stand in the way, especially as a lot of the people at the front are disabled fans who have to sit. I do think more could therefore be done by stewards to ensure people are actually leaving, not just standing at the front. Equally stewards could be directing leavers towards their closest exit to reduce the traffic flow at the bottom of the stand.

Thing is we've all paid our money so we should all be able to watch as much of the game as we want to.

This is about as sensible and accurate as a balanced reply on this subject could ever be

People on both sides of the argument (discussion) simply want to have an argument with the nays/ ayes.

Aug 4, 2011
Liverpool away last season, I stayed to the very end, clapped the players off and took a stroll back to the car. It then took over an hour to get out of Liverpool and I got home just before midnight.

My neighbor legged it bang on the final whistle to his car and was home before 10pm.

Sometimes those 5-10 minutes can save you much more depending on how far you have to travel.

Feb 28, 2016
Ollieargyle9":2qd5btsj said:

I agree with the sentiment of most of your post, however feel it unfair on stewards, if (and when they have,) challenged people, people will spend 5 mins arguing with them, standing where they shouldn’t out of stubbornness, by the time the stewards get back up, the game is over anyway. Even if they did have time and resources, it would escalate to forceful ejections/bans and there would be uproar over that. This is an instance of them being damned if they do, damned if they don’t.