January Transfer Rumours & L1 signings | Page 21 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

January Transfer Rumours & L1 signings

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
macleanie":25391y0u said:
Nobby":25391y0u said:
homepark_hobo":25391y0u said:
Beyton_Green":25391y0u said:
Why is everyone (a lot of people) not prepared to give Letheren lots of credit for our mini 3 game run.

This, I feel we are lucky to have a seasoned GK like Letheren as a back up to the team.

Backup is the important word here.

Agreed, Letheren is good back up. If Wikipedia can be trusted, then his stats state at 31 years of age he has less then 100 games over his career. Most starts coming from a season in National League with York. This suggests he is a journeyman back up keeper. Previous managers and coaches must all feel that's his role and he must've been happy with that over his career. Which in my opinion shows a lack of desire to be number 1, or ability to be a number 1.

His recent starts that coincide with our 2 wins is of course great but there was 2 massive errors in my opinion. The halfway line goal and the oxford ball catch with luckily did not end up in the net. Macey also has been poor but at League 1 level in a team which needs to be climbing the league, neither are good enough to be number one. That to me seems completely obvious.

EDIT TO ADD: This doesn't mean I disagree with him being between the posts. I would rather him then Macey, I think he deserves his chance currently. Macey has been shameful. However,I would hope signing a player with the intention to play ahead of both is high up on the agenda!!

This

Mar 27, 2008
JannerinCardiff":2gawevur said:
samjones":2gawevur said:
Andy_S":2gawevur said:
Nobby":2gawevur said:
Today further highlighted the need for defensive reinforcements. We cant score three every week.

Oh for crying out loud!

Their first was a penalty - dubious at the very best, ball to hand - not hand to ball!

The second was a fluke! With the wind behind it and the keeper, rightly, off his line (the ball was all but in the opposition half) and the young lad took a punt!

Neither goal had the square root of bugger all to do with any defensive frailties!

Not so much defensive frailties but certainly a need for a proper keeper. Letheren has to take full responsibility for the 2nd goal

Totally agree. I’ve seen the 2nd Southend goal a few times and it’s just a speculative shot that whilst Letheren gets back to try to save it, he completely loses the flight of the ball and makes a hash of it. Poor goalkeeping to me, as I would expect most keepers to keep that effort out of the net. I still think we need a quality keeper, we are weak in that area. I hope DA recognises this and if Macey could go back to Arsenal that DA brings in a new keeper .. Matthews would be my 1st choice.

Watch the goal from the camera that’s behind Letherens goal and you can see how much it swerved. See if you still think he’s made a hash of it? It’s on YouTube.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Exactly. It was NOT an error, much less a massive one.

Sep 6, 2006
macleanie":ejrmphgw said:
Nobby":ejrmphgw said:
homepark_hobo":ejrmphgw said:
Beyton_Green":ejrmphgw said:
Why is everyone (a lot of people) not prepared to give Letheren lots of credit for our mini 3 game run.

This, I feel we are lucky to have a seasoned GK like Letheren as a back up to the team.

Backup is the important word here.

Agreed, Letheren is good back up. If Wikipedia can be trusted, then his stats state at 31 years of age he has less then 100 games over his career. Most starts coming from a season in National League with York. This suggests he is a journeyman back up keeper. Previous managers and coaches must all feel that's his role and he must've been happy with that over his career. Which in my opinion shows a lack of desire to be number 1, or ability to be a number 1.

His recent starts that coincide with our 2 wins is of course great but there was 2 massive errors in my opinion. The halfway line goal and the oxford ball catch with luckily did not end up in the net. Macey also has been poor but at League 1 level in a team which needs to be climbing the league, neither are good enough to be number one. That to me seems completely obvious.

EDIT TO ADD: This doesn't mean I disagree with him being between the posts. I would rather him then Macey, I think he deserves his chance currently. Macey has been shameful. However,I would hope signing a player with the intention to play ahead of both is high up on the agenda!!

Shameful? Seriously?! What has Macey done that is 'shameful?! Let in shots from 60 yards maybe. Lets hope Letheren doesnt have any 30 yard efforts to save.

Frank Butcher

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Oct 9, 2003
Gairloch
There is much more to goalkeeping than saving (or not) speculative 60 yard efforts that happen once in a blue moon. Strong communication skills, command of his area and simple things like having the ability to kick cleanly all inspire confidence in those in front of him. That’s why I would persist with Letheren ahead of Macey - who is probably a better shot stopper.

But I still think we need to invest in the position.

Aug 5, 2005
ely grap":hzk4r8nk said:
JannerinCardiff":hzk4r8nk said:
samjones":hzk4r8nk said:
Andy_S":hzk4r8nk said:
Nobby":hzk4r8nk said:
Today further highlighted the need for defensive reinforcements. We cant score three every week.

Oh for crying out loud!

Their first was a penalty - dubious at the very best, ball to hand - not hand to ball!

The second was a fluke! With the wind behind it and the keeper, rightly, off his line (the ball was all but in the opposition half) and the young lad took a punt!

Neither goal had the square root of bugger all to do with any defensive frailties!

Not so much defensive frailties but certainly a need for a proper keeper. Letheren has to take full responsibility for the 2nd goal

Totally agree. I’ve seen the 2nd Southend goal a few times and it’s just a speculative shot that whilst Letheren gets back to try to save it, he completely loses the flight of the ball and makes a hash of it. Poor goalkeeping to me, as I would expect most keepers to keep that effort out of the net. I still think we need a quality keeper, we are weak in that area. I hope DA recognises this and if Macey could go back to Arsenal that DA brings in a new keeper .. Matthews would be my 1st choice.

Watch the goal from the camera that’s behind Letherens goal and you can see how much it swerved. See if you still think he’s made a hash of it? It’s on YouTube.

Here is the video. The goal cam of the long distance goal is from 48 seconds. And yes it swerved.

https://youtu.be/1pEbszyvEEQ

Sep 6, 2006
Call me old fashioned but I would rather have a keeper that can save 60 yard efforts. The more experienced defenders in front can organise.

earl grey

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Nov 26, 2011
I'm loving our upturn in fortune, Kyle has done well, and I'm happy to stick with him for a bit...but you can't defend him there, can you?

Mar 23, 2011
Fareham
We still need a keeper but that is not top of the list of priorities. It was, no doubt, a clear mistaken moment from Kyle for the 2nd goal.

Apr 20, 2008
Plymouth
Greenarmy11":3gid5kfn said:
Luke McCormick coming back to argyle would be my choice, also more realistic than Matthews coming back.
Can we look at this objectively (i.e. if he wasn't an ex-player).

Would you really want us to sign a 35-year old keeper who can't get into Swindon Town (12th in League 2) 's team?

Emu

Oct 3, 2003
Sarf London
That goal cam definitely gives a far different perspective than that of the camera on the halfway line in this instance.

I'm veering towards giving credit to the player rather than a goalkeeping mistake.

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
I’ve seen camera angles from the halfway line and also behind the goal. From the camera behind the goal You can’t see the ball until quite late on. Letheren would have been able to see the ball from when it was kicked in Southends half. The goal didn’t go in the top corner or anything so was perfectly saveable. To me it’s a Goalkeeper error all day. A keeper should never be beaten by a 60 yard shot.

Feb 2, 2005
Cornwall
JannerinCardiff":2qu7sd8w said:
I’ve seen camera angles from the halfway line and also behind the goal. From the camera behind the goal You can’t see the ball until quite late on. Letheren would have been able to see the ball from when it was kicked in Southends half. The goal didn’t go in the top corner or anything so was perfectly saveable. To me it’s a Goalkeeper error all day. A keeper should never be beaten by a 60 yard shot.

You're kidding right?

It was a fluke. Give that kid another 100 shots and he couldn't do it again.

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
The ball only just crossed the line on its 1st bounce - if Letheren had better positioning it could have been easily save. Goslkeepwr error all day for me,