Investment thread (merged) | Page 12 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Investment thread (merged)

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
I don’t think it’s black or white though.

It isn’t “spend money we don’t have” or “have a small budget that is balanced”.

They aren’t the two only possible options.

A bigger budget and a longer time frame for the Brickfields development would have been an option.

Clearly Azaz would have been out of reach but we would have been able to invest in a number 10 and striker that would have kept us up.

I would say that if we stay up withet added TV money and get a championship level investor that Simon Hallett is intimating that a deal the size of Azaz's to Middleborough wouldn't be so far away as we might think I'd suggest.

JannerinCardiff

♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
He would have been on more than that if he had signed for Argyle, that's roughly £5k a week. The two wildly diverse figures I have seen/heard were £35k and £70k a week.

I would put my house on Finn Azaz not being on 70k a week. That's just utter tripe.

JannerinCardiff

♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff

Jon with no H

🚑 Steve Hooper
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 6, 2023
Bolton
3 or 4 years I'd say with 21million Brickfields close to starting.
But as of now, we are decades behind. This project is to help catch up. It's to Simon Hallett's immense credit that the true benefits of the venture might not be apparent during the next 5-10 years, yet he is paying millions out of his own pocket for it.

As for facilities across the board, Bolton's stadium was opened when John Major was Prime Minister. That's 27 years of greater capacity to bring in revenue that we are competing with, even when the team is a league below us right now.

JannerinCardiff

♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
The split between the three leagues is something like 80:12:8. So you cannot spend on our league on the basis of league one tv money.

So he championship TV money is 7 or 8 times that of League 1 then.

That's huge.

Monster Green

Cream First
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Jan 12, 2007
Plymouth
Why? Because someone disagrees with you.

We may well be relagated. A couple of signings in January could have made the difference.

Azaz and Cundle have not been successfully replaced. A bigger budget would have made this job easier.

Gillesphy, Butcher, Cundle, Azaz all left.

I wonder if our wage bill is smaller now than it was in January!
I can't disagree that we may be relegated, but you, along with many others, do not appear to have the long term interests of the club at heart. Criticism of SH is disappointing, from you and everyone else especially when his motives appear to be questioned.

The Facepalm isn't just for you so don't get too excited! It's intended as an expression of frustration and disbelief at certain comments

Reactions: Milez
Apr 2, 2024
My argument is that the long term future is better served by investing more in the playing squad now and staying in the Championship. Getting out of league 1 is very hard.

I’m really surprised we didn’t have quality replacements lined up for Azaz and Cundle leaving. Was this a budget constraint as I’m sure our data analytics department would have had targets identified for such a scenario.

Monster Green

Cream First
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Jan 12, 2007
Plymouth
My argument is that the long term future is better served by investing more in the playing squad now and staying in the Championship. Getting out of league 1 is very hard.

I’m really surprised we didn’t have quality replacements lined up for Azaz and Cundle leaving. Was this a budget constraint as I’m sure our data analytics department would have had targets identified for such a scenario.
Think you forgot that the manager at the time that these targets had been looked at departed at probably the worst possible time. We know what happened for the following 3 months. If SH and the club do not have 2.5m hiding behind the sofa, then fine. I'd rather they didn't put the future of the club on the brink

May 4, 2012
Sunderland

With what you're suggesting we would still have had one of the lowest budgets in the Championship, still have been one of the favourites to go down, still likely in a similar position to where we are now. In League One TV money makes up a large chunk of a team's playing budget, if we didn't stay up and you've already allocated that money elsewhere there's a big hole where money needs to be found. Not only that, but having spent more the previous season you'll have players on bigger contracts and you'll need a bigger budget, meaning the whole is even bigger. Sure, you can try and offset it by selling players, but there's no guarantee you'll be able to. It isn't a good method for the short term let alone the long term.

Feb 8, 2005

You have mixed up long term with short term.

Invest in the playing squad is for the short term (ie for as long as they are with us), as if we had the money in the first place. We didn't.

And in any case there would be no certainty of staying in the Championship, ask any of the teams around us who have already spent millions more on their squad and they are in a similar position to us!

Quality replacements would have cost us similar to the ones that left, except that during January the advantage is with the selling club, so the purchasing fees would have been inflated. Disappointing, I know, but a no brainer if there is no-one within our price range. We did get in some youngsters though, although they didn't quite fit into the jigsaw that we had.

In any case, we didn't replace them, we couldn't replace them, and so that was that.

P.S. There is no certainty that we will be relegated this season, just as much as there is no certainty of us keeping our place in this league, with or without replacements, that we could not afford anyway.