Investment thread (merged) | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Investment thread (merged)

Aug 12, 2010
South Wales
Herald article says the search for investors has revealed some possibilities.

click HERE for link.

Hallett told Plymouth Live: "We have got a few irons in the fire, progress has been more slow than we had hoped so nothing has been done yet. We had hopes something would be done several months before this, but we have got a few things that I obviously can't disclose directly.

"We have got at least two I know about that are possibles, one of which is quite a strong possibility, and there is a couple more I'm going to get briefed about today (Tuesday)."
Hallett continued: "I would like to get something done by Christmas - last Christmas! We were obviously restricted in what we could do in the transfer window in January, and we will be restricted in the transfer window this summer unless we can get somebody in.

"So if we are to achieve the goal of getting a new investor who is going to help fund not just the infrastructure but a bit more money into the squad then that's going to have to be by the transfer window.
"If we can't we are going to be competing at the bottom half of the Championship like we have been this season."

Jan 6, 2004

click HERE for link.

Hallett told Plymouth Live: "We have got a few irons in the fire, progress has been more slow than we had hoped so nothing has been done yet. We had hopes something would be done several months before this, but we have got a few things that I obviously can't disclose directly.

"We have got at least two I know about that are possibles, one of which is quite a strong possibility, and there is a couple more I'm going to get briefed about today (Tuesday)."
Hallett continued: "I would like to get something done by Christmas - last Christmas! We were obviously restricted in what we could do in the transfer window in January, and we will be restricted in the transfer window this summer unless we can get somebody in.

"So if we are to achieve the goal of getting a new investor who is going to help fund not just the infrastructure but a bit more money into the squad then that's going to have to be by the transfer window.
"If we can't we are going to be competing at the bottom half of the Championship like we have been this season."
Spectacularly honest and open from Simon there. More investment is the only way we are going to escape an annual battle with relegation.

Reactions: CoventryGreen
Aug 10, 2006

click HERE for link.

Hopefully if we don't go down.

Argyleloyal

Pasoti Announcer.
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
Brickfields Donor
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 25, 2016
Hopefully if we don't go down.

He said in the interview on Argyle TV what any investor will pay will depend on what league we are in

Reactions: tonycrowuk
Jan 23, 2024
Its good news indeed that there are people interested. However, I personally would like to see a bigger proportion of any new investment going into the team rather than infrastructure. I see and agree that infrastructure investment is key for the longer term, but I think its been clear from this season that the squad needs serious strengthening if we are to avoid continual relegation battles. Am I right in thinking that most (all?) of the last capital injection went straight to infrastructure, Brickfields etc.? I'm not saying all of any future investment should go to the team, but I really think a significant chunk of it should do.

May 4, 2012
Sunderland
Its good news indeed that there are people interested. However, I personally would like to see a bigger proportion of any new investment going into the team rather than infrastructure. I see and agree that infrastructure investment is key for the longer term, but I think its been clear from this season that the squad needs serious strengthening if we are to avoid continual relegation battles. Am I right in thinking that most (all?) of the last capital injection went straight to infrastructure, Brickfields etc.? I'm not saying all of any future investment should go to the team, but I really think a significant chunk of it should do.
When your infrastructure is so far behind the teams you're competing with that's also going to make it difficult to sign players though. It's got to be used on both if we're realistic about the club moving forward, and doing so for the long term, not just the short term.

Feb 8, 2005
Hallett is looking long term.

We have always looked towards short term spending, on the team mainly, and where has that got us?

Disappointment, as usual.

Hallett is bucking the trend and looking at the future of the club, not just the here and now.

We may suffer a little now, but it will be for the best in the long run.

Trust him, he knows what he is doing.

Aug 12, 2010
South Wales
The difficulty is we would need a regular annual investment to increase the wage bill in a way that effects performance, possibly in the magnitude of 40k a week.
And most investors will want their money back.

Argyleloyal

Pasoti Announcer.
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
Brickfields Donor
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 25, 2016
I would think any potential investor is going to wait and see how this relegation battle pans out first.

Probably because Simon said, how much they will pay will depend on what league we are in

Feb 20, 2021
I’ve always thought we must be a good prospect for Investment.. Debt free, money in the bank, well run, selling out our stadium, academy on the way, we own significant amounts of land around the stadium.

The price of Championship clubs seems to have gone through the roof recently. Ipswich have recently sold a 40% share for ‘up to £105 million.’ Watford were also in talks over a £170 million takeover at the start of the year. You probably need to take both of those figues with a pinch of salt.

We were valued at £20 million when Argyle Green took a 20% stake in August 2022. As a Championship Club that must be a lot higher.

Just shows the stakes for Simon Hallett on us staying up.