Huddersfield v Argyle match thread | Page 26 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Huddersfield v Argyle match thread

Oct 20, 2015
WoodsyGreen":has84ods said:
For what it's worth, I've had a read through the entire Huddersfield match thread on their forum and the abuse and in-fighting is far worse than on here. Either they're always like that or Covid has made people a bit loopy.

The general consensus seemed to be:

-The ref was from the lower leagues and was shocking - letting all our fouls go and blowing up for everything they did
-We were very average and their first-team would have destroyed us, but we were deserved winners on the night
-We were too physical and canny for their kids and basically used dark arts and tactical fouls to win the game
-Their right-back had a terrible game and was at fault for all three of our goals
-Nouble should have been sent off for an elbow late on (one or two acknowledged their player should have gone for that crazy two-footed stamp early doors).
-Some don't care they're out of the cup as they've got a small squad, while others thought their manager disrespected the competition and it's a shame even second tier clubs play their reserves these days.

Thanks Woodsy. Always good to hear the other perspective and stops us getting carried away. In response to "them" I would say:

1) I didn't notice ref particularly which ought to be a good sign. And if he's from lower leagues - welcome to our world.

2) We were pretty average on balance. That's been apparent for a few months. If they want to progress in the competition, they need a few experienced first teamers. It would have made the difference.

3) Bring on the dark arts! About bloody time. I was loving the last five minutes, a glimpse into the Wycombe fan's world. Although we really didn't do anything 'out there' eg feign head injury etc.

4) Didn't notice their RB was particularly bad but almost all of them looked pretty young and therefore, by definition, inexperienced. It was their chance to catch the manager's eye and by and large most of them failed.

5) I didn't see either of these incidents. But Nouble in a manoeuvre is like turning a supertanker. I would stay well clear unless I was at least the same size.

6) Think I'm leaning towards the 'disrespect the competition' side of things, I don't know Huddersfield's story but they ought to have put out a half decent side. Smacks of entitlement, and a lack of desire. They're only one relegation away from playing the likes of us next season, and Prem looks out of reach for them for some time.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
Shoenice":3ve4k57o said:
Knibbsworth":3ve4k57o said:
Knibbsworth":3ve4k57o said:
Yes there is. I'm sick of that prat pulling me up for objective comments. All I did was say Mayor was great and that he needs to show this form in L1. I then said we are playing Huddersfields kids and let's not get carried away. Every outfield player but 1 ranges from 17-22. If you observe that + league appearances, this is pretty much factually correct.

Then that prat as usual comes in and thinks he can call me this and that. Jog on.

Can you explain how a 22 year old is now a 'kid'? It's hardly Michael Owen against Argentina is it. If a 22 year old gets in trouble they don't get sent to young offenders. You are 5 years past being treated as a minor.

When David Beckham kicked Diego Simeone, and the country booed him, blamed him, spat at him, and burned effigies of him (encouraged by the media), he was 23.

When they play for Huddersfield against a League One side they are a child, apparently.

As I mentioned before, why does Fornah, Watts, Cooper, Jephcott and Opoku not get treated like 'kids' when they had a poor game or inconsistent patch? They get called poo and blamed for every bad result and poor performance.

You've really misunderstood the situation. If you read my post, I also referred to league appearances. I'd like to think you would have cottoned on.

The reason we give stick to Jepchott, Opoku, Fornah etc is because they are first team professionals at Argyle's level. That is, they are deemed as first team players. Then there are other players who are not deemed ready yet (and maybe discarded eventually), think Law & Lolos.

The Huddersfield team we played last night included nine 17-22 year olds, none of whom are considered first team players at Huddersfield. I'm surprised I have to explain this. We played a team last night, that really we should turn over every single time. We could have had 5/6. It's like putting out an Argyle team consisting of Law, Lolos, Pursall, Randell, etc etc. Those latter four have not been deemed ready for L1 standard, and maybe in some cases, not at all eventually.

I don't actually care. The history books will show we won 3-2.

Mayor was instrumental in our win. I'd rather he had a good game than an ineffective one.

My point remains their young players weren't all that much younger than ours, so there is no point using the word 'kids' to diminish the result repeatedly. It isn't our fault that we give our 19-23 year olds plenty of experience in the league as well, and as a result they are better.

You don't care, but you care enough to have replied in the 1st place, and then to have replied with another four paragraphs? Or just a really weak argument perhaps.

I never denied that we won 3-2 or that Mayor was instrumental. And yes, they were kids. Whereas our young players are playing at 1st team level in League 1, the Huddersfield players, much like Tafari Moore and ASB (Arsenal & Man City), will likely end up in non-league and out of football. As mentioned, and not just by myself either, we were facing perhaps the weakest opposition we will face all season. Nothing to get carried away about.
We are not getting carried away; we are just excited by the fact that we are in the 4th round of the FA Cup. If Huddersfield weren’t bothered, that’s their problem.

Jul 12, 2016
Shoenice":1wyvyrsr said:
Knibbsworth":1wyvyrsr said:
Knibbsworth":1wyvyrsr said:
Yes there is. I'm sick of that prat pulling me up for objective comments. All I did was say Mayor was great and that he needs to show this form in L1. I then said we are playing Huddersfields kids and let's not get carried away. Every outfield player but 1 ranges from 17-22. If you observe that + league appearances, this is pretty much factually correct.

Then that prat as usual comes in and thinks he can call me this and that. Jog on.

Can you explain how a 22 year old is now a 'kid'? It's hardly Michael Owen against Argentina is it. If a 22 year old gets in trouble they don't get sent to young offenders. You are 5 years past being treated as a minor.

When David Beckham kicked Diego Simeone, and the country booed him, blamed him, spat at him, and burned effigies of him (encouraged by the media), he was 23.

When they play for Huddersfield against a League One side they are a child, apparently.

As I mentioned before, why does Fornah, Watts, Cooper, Jephcott and Opoku not get treated like 'kids' when they had a poor game or inconsistent patch? They get called poo and blamed for every bad result and poor performance.

You've really misunderstood the situation. If you read my post, I also referred to league appearances. I'd like to think you would have cottoned on.

The reason we give stick to Jepchott, Opoku, Fornah etc is because they are first team professionals at Argyle's level. That is, they are deemed as first team players. Then there are other players who are not deemed ready yet (and maybe discarded eventually), think Law & Lolos.

The Huddersfield team we played last night included nine 17-22 year olds, none of whom are considered first team players at Huddersfield. I'm surprised I have to explain this. We played a team last night, that really we should turn over every single time. We could have had 5/6. It's like putting out an Argyle team consisting of Law, Lolos, Pursall, Randell, etc etc. Those latter four have not been deemed ready for L1 standard, and maybe in some cases, not at all eventually.

Mayor was instrumental in our win. I'd rather he had a good game than an ineffective one.

My point remains their young players weren't all that much younger than ours, so there is no point using the word 'kids' to diminish the result repeatedly. It isn't our fault that we give our 19-23 year olds plenty of experience in the league as well, and as a result they are better.

You don't care, but you care enough to have replied in the 1st place, and then to have replied with another four paragraphs? Or just a really weak argument perhaps.

I never denied that we won 3-2 or that Mayor was instrumental. And yes, they were kids. Whereas our young players are playing at 1st team level in League 1, the Huddersfield players, much like Tafari Moore and ASB (Arsenal & Man City), will likely end up in non-league and out of football. As mentioned, and not just by myself either, we were facing perhaps the weakest opposition we will face all season. Nothing to get carried away about.
Why put the mockers on an away win against a Championship club? To be honest I couldn't care a less if we beat an under 18 side to progress. It is all about making as much extra revenue as we can which is very welcome in the current climate.

ngs

Apr 7, 2020
oldage":nxm5makt said:
Shoenice":nxm5makt said:
Knibbsworth":nxm5makt said:
Knibbsworth":nxm5makt said:

Why put the mockers on an away win against a Championship club? To be honest I couldn't care a less if we beat an under 18 side to progress. It is all about making as much extra revenue as we can which is very welcome in the current climate.

So because they dont play week in week out they are kids compared to the same aged players we have here?

Chelsea bought on Tomori today an England under 21 international who would likely of played with some of the Huddersfield players through the age groups. I'm sure I heard, but may be wrong, he had played something like 50 minutes of 1st team football this season, would you class him as a kid? Would you say hes likely to end up non league? What about Billy Gilmour, Scotland under 21 who has 8 professional appearances in his career?

Just because they play for Huddersfield and are young makes no difference, they are obviously decent players.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
I would have thought that Watts, Fornah and, possibly, Opoku may have played, in the last 2 seasons, against some of the Huddersfield youngsters who played yesterday. I would also have suggested Cooper and Jephcott but I don’t recall our Academy players playing against Huddersfield.

Aug 15, 2015
oldage":a1sjpnqn said:
Shoenice":a1sjpnqn said:
Knibbsworth":a1sjpnqn said:
Knibbsworth":a1sjpnqn said:

I'm not putting the mockers on it whatsoever. I simply said that Danny Mayor was terrific, and it would be great for him to show this kind of form in L1 and not in an FA cup match that was clearly meaningless to Huddersfield (for whatever reason). Knibbsworth took offence to that and thought it would be appropriate to sarcastically reply to what was a fair comment, by pointing out the one senior pro of the outfield players. I then pointed out that the other nine players were clearly not considered as first-team players. Not sure how that translates to me putting the mockers on the win?!

Aug 15, 2015
ngs01":1eq8c5un said:
Shoenice":1eq8c5un said:
Knibbsworth":1eq8c5un said:
Knibbsworth":1eq8c5un said:

So because they dont play week in week out they are kids compared to the same aged players we have here?

Chelsea bought on Tomori today an England under 21 international who would likely of played with some of the Huddersfield players through the age groups. I'm sure I heard, but may be wrong, he had played something like 50 minutes of 1st team football this season, would you class him as a kid? Would you say hes likely to end up non league? What about Billy Gilmour, Scotland under 21 who has 8 professional appearances in his career?

Just because they play for Huddersfield and are young makes no difference, they are obviously decent players.

The difference being nine of Huddersfield's eleven were youngsters. That is indicative that they are not playing their first team. Did you recognise a name on their teamsheet? I didn't bar the goalkeeper. It's like us putting out a team of Lolos, Law, Pursall, Cleal, Randell, C. Miller and another three from the academy. What team does that in competitive fixtures? Unless, broke, desperate, or some other peculiar reason like COVID-19, no team really does that.

We'll do well to have even 2/3 of those make it at Argyle. I also think that saying they are obviously decent players doesn't necessarily hold much weight. Take ASB & Tafari Moore as per earlier. You can't find anything on Moore, and ASB is now playing in the Conference North.

Aug 5, 2016
Shoenice":1ggk1zlf said:

Ah. So you have decided now the word 'kids' doesn't actually refer to age, as commonly understood in the Western world, but level of experience.

So Argyle have no 'kids', Huddersfield have lots of them. They even have a 28 year old 'kid' where as we have Jephcott who aged 20 is most definitely not a 'kid'?

Aug 15, 2015
So you didn't know what I meant by 'kids'? This being in relation to the sport of football of course. I'm not sure what the Western world has to do in relation to the specifics of discussing young football players at a professional level. I'm obviously not talking about 10 year olds.

You weren't able to interpret that I was referring to youngsters at a football club, youngsters who typically don't have much of, if any first-team football experience, and therefore are generally not considered for first-team selection? It shouldn't be difficult to interpret the meaning of the word 'kids' in this context, but I suspect you might be on a wind-up.

Dec 3, 2005
I doubt if any Huddersfield supporters recognised many names on our team sheet.

You can only beat the team that is put out in front of you and we did.

On to the next round.

One thing - what is wrong with the 'fixture list' below here, try putting League One fixtures and constantly get Scottish EFL League One lol

ngs

Apr 7, 2020

Just because they play for Huddersfield and are young makes no difference, they are obviously decent players.[/quote][/quote]

The difference being nine of Huddersfield's eleven were youngsters. That is indicative that they are not playing their first team. Did you recognise a name on their teamsheet? I didn't bar the goalkeeper. It's like us putting out a team of Lolos, Law, Pursall, Cleal, Randell, C. Miller and another three from the academy. What team does that in competitive fixtures? Unless, broke, desperate, or some other peculiar reason like COVID-19, no team really does that.

We'll do well to have even 2/3 of those make it at Argyle. I also think that saying they are obviously decent players doesn't necessarily hold much weight. Take ASB & Tafari Moore as per earlier. You can't find anything on Moore, and ASB is now playing in the Conference North.[/quote]

Nine of huddersfields eleven had played 1st team football this season before saturday meaning they only had two debutants, one of which was a 28 year old. Just because you dont recognise them doesnt really hold much weight.

May 8, 2011
There was a very similar thread after Argyle beat an under strength Charlton team in the first round we then went on a seven game non winning run in the league, let’s hope lightening doesn’t strike twice.

Andy S

Administrator
Staff member
🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 15, 2003
I wonder if Chorley's supporters are giving their team grief because they only beat Derby County's 3rd team?

Or are they celebrating the fact that they are in the draw for the 4th round and really don't give a rat's 4rse about who they beat?