Huddersfield v Argyle match thread | Page 25 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Huddersfield v Argyle match thread

Aug 15, 2015
Knibbsworth":1rvzljzq said:
Shoenice":1rvzljzq said:
Yes there is. I'm sick of that prat pulling me up for objective comments. All I did was say Mayor was great and that he needs to show this form in L1. I then said we are playing Huddersfields kids and let's not get carried away. Every outfield player but 1 ranges from 17-22. If you observe that + league appearances, this is pretty much factually correct.

Then that prat as usual comes in and thinks he can call me this and that. Jog on.

Can you explain how a 22 year old is now a 'kid'? It's hardly Michael Owen against Argentina is it. If a 22 year old gets in trouble they don't get sent to young offenders. You are 5 years past being treated as a minor.

When David Beckham kicked Diego Simeone, and the country booed him, blamed him, spat at him, and burned effigies of him (encouraged by the media), he was 23.

When they play for Huddersfield against a League One side they are a child, apparently.

As I mentioned before, why does Fornah, Watts, Cooper, Jephcott and Opoku not get treated like 'kids' when they had a poor game or inconsistent patch? They get called poo and blamed for every bad result and poor performance.

You've really misunderstood the situation. If you read my post, I also referred to league appearances. I'd like to think you would have cottoned on.

The reason we give stick to Jepchott, Opoku, Fornah etc is because they are first team professionals at Argyle's level. That is, they are deemed as first team players. Then there are other players who are not deemed ready yet (and maybe discarded eventually), think Law & Lolos.

The Huddersfield team we played last night included nine 17-22 year olds, none of whom are considered first team players at Huddersfield. I'm surprised I have to explain this. We played a team last night, that really we should turn over every single time. We could have had 5/6. It's like putting out an Argyle team consisting of Law, Lolos, Pursall, Randell, etc etc. Those latter four have not been deemed ready for L1 standard, and maybe in some cases, not at all eventually.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
It's a very difficult line to follow sometimes.

The Mods upstairs have differing opinions on some posters, when they ALL agree the person tends to be dumped but THAT is very very rare.

BG gets on my nits if I'm honest, however he does (when times allow) attend and awful lot of matches and is therefore surely allowed a voice. The last person who got a reaction like him lived in Cyprus, had no inclination to attend games even when he came back home for a few weeks and delighted in winding Argyle fans up, which in turn, led to hijacks of most threads when he 'voiced his opinion'. He had to go and I'm certainly glad he's an ex poster.

Also BG does tend to argue with people more than anyone I've known and this is the part that could lead to his downfall. If only he could wind in the personal 'you are idiot' type posts, it would make the Mods life a lot easier, and that's all they are after.

The other poster who polarises opinions is Oldage, now I believe he is more like our Cypriot Troll in so many ways but again, the Mods haven't yet binned him. Again for many reasons, but it does show the site IS far more tolerant than we used to be.

During a recent Mod discussion a few of them mentioned that people 'out and about' had said to them that they 'dare not post as certain people would pick on them; etc etc. THIS is the main worry we all have, people can be scared off by this type of scenario.

All we ask is posters think about their style, particularly but not solely BG and Oldage and try to see what the problem is.

Many many moons ago, when idiots like Rickler were on this site, I actually enjoyed hitting the ban button, but these days we've come so far as a site, and we will never go back to those times where there was so much animosity.

Just think about things folk, we're all meant to be Argyle fans and we should all try to get along a bit more.

Our rules are simple, no swearing no libellous comments and no trolling. All opinions are allowed and indeed are welcomed.

Ian
Site Owner

Aug 5, 2016
Shoenice":2bbpl9es said:
Knibbsworth":2bbpl9es said:
Shoenice":2bbpl9es said:
Yes there is. I'm sick of that prat pulling me up for objective comments. All I did was say Mayor was great and that he needs to show this form in L1. I then said we are playing Huddersfields kids and let's not get carried away. Every outfield player but 1 ranges from 17-22. If you observe that + league appearances, this is pretty much factually correct.

Then that prat as usual comes in and thinks he can call me this and that. Jog on.

Can you explain how a 22 year old is now a 'kid'? It's hardly Michael Owen against Argentina is it. If a 22 year old gets in trouble they don't get sent to young offenders. You are 5 years past being treated as a minor.

When David Beckham kicked Diego Simeone, and the country booed him, blamed him, spat at him, and burned effigies of him (encouraged by the media), he was 23.

When they play for Huddersfield against a League One side they are a child, apparently.

As I mentioned before, why does Fornah, Watts, Cooper, Jephcott and Opoku not get treated like 'kids' when they had a poor game or inconsistent patch? They get called poo and blamed for every bad result and poor performance.

You've really misunderstood the situation. If you read my post, I also referred to league appearances. I'd like to think you would have cottoned on.

The reason we give stick to Jepchott, Opoku, Fornah etc is because they are first team professionals at Argyle's level. That is, they are deemed as first team players. Then there are other players who are not deemed ready yet (and maybe discarded eventually), think Law & Lolos.

The Huddersfield team we played last night included nine 17-22 year olds, none of whom are considered first team players at Huddersfield. I'm surprised I have to explain this. We played a team last night, that really we should turn over every single time. We could have had 5/6. It's like putting out an Argyle team consisting of Law, Lolos, Pursall, Randell, etc etc. Those latter four have not been deemed ready for L1 standard, and maybe in some cases, not at all eventually.

I don't actually care. The history books will show we won 3-2.

Mayor was instrumental in our win. I'd rather he had a good game than an ineffective one.

My point remains their young players weren't all that much younger than ours, so there is no point using the word 'kids' to diminish the result repeatedly. It isn't our fault that we give our 19-23 year olds plenty of experience in the league as well, and as a result they are better.

Feb 21, 2012
Plymouth
Well noted MM,I have always wanted a defender on each post to defend corners,some tactics do not need to be changed just because the game has,
as you said,someone on that far post may have stopped that goal.

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
Perhaps Ryan Lowe deserves some credit for outwitting the Huddersfield manager, who probably thought Argyle would select quite a few non-regulars. He selects a team of kids and Argyle rock up with basically the full first team squad. Game set and match to Ryan Lowe in my book. Argyle are in the 4th round and Huddersfield aren’t. Simple.

Aug 5, 2016
Devongreenowl":3rgv9i0z said:
Perhaps Ryan Lowe deserves some credit for outwitting the Huddersfield manager, who probably thought Argyle would select quite a few non-regulars. He selects a team of kids and Argyle rock up with basically the full first team squad. Game set and match to Ryan Lowe in my book. Argyle are in the 4th round and Huddersfield aren’t. Simple.

What would be the purpose of Argyle selecting an inexperienced team to play a side a division above us? I don't know why anyone would expect that.

Manchester City and Chelsea (who have European football to worry about) have fielded strong first teams this weekend, but Derby County and Huddersfield Town are messing about playing teenagers trying their best to get knocked out.

Argyle have made over £100,000 from the FA Cup at a time clubs are desperate for money. So I don't understand the logic in any lower league side messing about in the FA Cup at the moment.

Sep 2, 2008
Knibbsworth":27q9xc06 said:
Devongreenowl":27q9xc06 said:

What would be the purpose of Argyle selecting an inexperienced team to play a side a division above us? I don't know why anyone would expect that.

Manchester City and Chelsea (who have European football to worry about) have fielded strong first teams this weekend, but Derby County and Huddersfield Town are messing about playing teenagers trying their best to get knocked out.

Argyle have made over £100,000 from the FA Cup at a time clubs are desperate for money. So I don't understand the logic in any lower league side messing about in the FA Cup at the moment.

Neither do I. Also, match fitness needs to be maintained so the 1st team should play regular football as in due course they will be knocked out and back to playing league football the next week.

Dec 8, 2019
Knibbsworth":3gp7c8k3 said:
Devongreenowl":3gp7c8k3 said:

Only my opinion, I think Derby would have played a decent team, COVID permitting. A team can only really gain confidence from wins and, like us, that is what they need

Lousy Pint

Jam First
Sep 23, 2005
Milano
IJN":vui4vggl said:
BG gets on my nits if I'm honest, however he does (when times allow) attend and awful lot of matches and is therefore surely allowed a voice. The last person who got a reaction like him lived in Cyprus, had no inclination to attend games even when he came back home for a few weeks and delighted in winding Argyle fans up, which in turn, led to hijacks of most threads when he 'voiced his opinion'. He had to go and I'm certainly glad he's an ex poster.

Also BG does tend to argue with people more than anyone I've known and this is the part that could lead to his downfall. If only he could wind in the personal 'you are idiot' type posts, it would make the Mods life a lot easier, and that's all they are after.

I dunno Ian, I have been on the receiving end of BGs responses in the past, but I can't say I was that bothered by them. What I find with him, is that he questions what posters have written, often justifiably, even if a tad over zealously at times. But, as you say, BG is green through and through.
However, I would far rather that than some of the 'agenda' type posters who, no matter how well a player plays, will find ways of criticising them. Very tedious.
I would go as far as to say that BG is a victim of his own 'success' in winding people up. Some of the criticism he gets seems way over the top to me. As has been said, some people need to 'grow a pair'.
Free the Balham One!!!
:silent: :scarf:

Sep 2, 2008
IJN":10r4dh0a said:
Also BG does tend to argue with people more than anyone I've known and this is the part that could lead to his downfall. If only he could wind in the personal 'you are idiot' type posts,

He certainly contests their opinion and to be fair some people really do post some pretty idiotic stuff (usually the trolls). I find that if you are able to quantify what you say then invariably the keyboard tennis stops as it's recognised how you came to taking a particular view/stance. It may well be an alternative view but tbf to BG once that clarification has been provided he does seem to respect that. As I've said before, some people need to grow a set. Sticks and stones come to mind...

Aug 15, 2015
Knibbsworth":3b4xit0x said:
Shoenice":3b4xit0x said:
Knibbsworth":3b4xit0x said:
Shoenice":3b4xit0x said:

I don't actually care. The history books will show we won 3-2.

Mayor was instrumental in our win. I'd rather he had a good game than an ineffective one.

My point remains their young players weren't all that much younger than ours, so there is no point using the word 'kids' to diminish the result repeatedly. It isn't our fault that we give our 19-23 year olds plenty of experience in the league as well, and as a result they are better.

You don't care, but you care enough to have replied in the 1st place, and then to have replied with another four paragraphs? Or just a really weak argument perhaps.

I never denied that we won 3-2 or that Mayor was instrumental. And yes, they were kids. Whereas our young players are playing at 1st team level in League 1, the Huddersfield players, much like Tafari Moore and ASB (Arsenal & Man City), will likely end up in non-league and out of football. As mentioned, and not just by myself either, we were facing perhaps the weakest opposition we will face all season. Nothing to get carried away about.

GreenThing

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
No one should have to justify why they do or do not like a player. Sometimes it’s just gut instinct or a personal opinion, yet we are often challenged to provide evidence or proof, then accused of making things up. It’s a football forum, not a court of law.

May 8, 2011
Devongreenowl":3iyuk9oq said:

Argyle had all the available fit first team players in the match day squad, apart from recalling players currently out on loan or using U18 players there weren’t any other payers to pick.