How are we going to score enough | Page 9 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

How are we going to score enough

Jannerz

🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jul 30, 2022
Just as a matter of opinion do you ever think the referee and /or his Assistants are ever rubbish or useless. I am an ex referee and not afraid to criticise where in my eyes it is warranted.
I'm surprised to hear you are an ex official Oldage? I would have thought the main quality a good ref needs is a cool pragmatic and balanced head, not prone to exaggerated thinking or bias? Mind you one trait of refs seems to be that they do always back their judgement to always be right. You must have been quite prolific with the red card I imagine, as you might have viewed every foul as really poor or rubbish? I'm not trying to be too critical and there is an element of tongue in cheek, it just surprised me you said that.

• Haha
Reactions: Lancastergreen
Feb 24, 2008
I personally think the vision of becoming a Sustainable Championship Club is laughable with our current set up. Sustainable League One Club Yes. Sadly and it really does pain me to say it's all about Money these days. Loans and signing Players out of Contract are not going to get us up the Ladder. You've got to put your hand in your pocket and pay serious money for players. As much as I'm happy we are now a well run club after those traumatic years we have to accept that we will be a resident of League One for many years just like we were in the Old Division 3.

Jul 12, 2016
I'm surprised to hear you are an ex official Oldage? I would have thought the main quality a good ref needs is a cool pragmatic and balanced head, not prone to exaggerated thinking or bias? Mind you one trait of refs seems to be that they do always back their judgement to always be right. You must have been quite prolific with the red card I imagine, as you might have viewed every foul as really poor or rubbish? I'm not trying to be too critical and there is an element of tongue in cheek, it just surprised me you said that.
Fouls are never rubbish or really poor. I’ve witnessed a lot of bad ones and acted accordingly. I have a balanced head and am not biased but say it’s as I see it . If some fans give what in my opinion are OTT comments I will counter it and stand my ground.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2013
Just as a matter of opinion do you ever think the referee and /or his Assistants are ever rubbish or useless. I am an ex referee and not afraid to criticise where in my eyes it is warranted.
In some situations I think referees make decisions that are very poor or incorrect, but wouldn’t enlarge that and say that they are “rubbish” or “useless” in the sense that every single decision they make is poor or incorrect.
Same with players, they may do things during matches that are very poor, but it doesn’t make them “rubbish” players, because every professional footballer has already shown they have considerable abilities.

Oct 5, 2013
I personally think the vision of becoming a Sustainable Championship Club is laughable with our current set up. Sustainable League One Club Yes. Sadly and it really does pain me to say it's all about Money these days. Loans and signing Players out of Contract are not going to get us up the Ladder. You've got to put your hand in your pocket and pay serious money for players. As much as I'm happy we are now a well run club after those traumatic years we have to accept that we will be a resident of League One for many years just like we were in the Old Division 3.
But if you’re right that would mean Mr Hallett’s ambition for the club had not come to fruition......... And I believe it will come to fruition!

• Haha

Jannerz

🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jul 30, 2022
Fouls are never rubbish or really poor. I’ve witnessed a lot of bad ones and acted accordingly. I have a balanced head and am not biased but say it’s as I see it . If some fans give what in my opinion are OTT comments I will counter it and stand my ground.
Do I get a yellow, red..or just a caution? :unsure::ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Mar 21, 2010
Plymouth
l think we need another creative midfielder for competition for Azaz & Mayor. We need somebody who is a goal threat.

Whittaker we need to be patient with. I’m wondering how many times he played a no10 role.
If we bring in another player capable of slotting into the number 10 role , there is a young versatile left footed player at Chelsea who may be being lined up for a loan move , Harvey Vale , quite likely too good for us , but can play at wing back , across the midfield and more attacking roles , there are some good videos of him . From watching those videos, I think he would be an excellent signing and provide competition in several positions.

Reactions: JannerinCardiff

MGM

✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 7, 2021
If we bring in another player capable of slotting into the number 10 role , there is a young versatile left footed player at Chelsea who may be being lined up for a loan move , Harvey Vale , quite likely too good for us , but can play at wing back , across the midfield and more attacking roles , there are some good videos of him . From watching those videos, I think he would be an excellent signing and provide competition in several positions.

Unless someone is leaving l can’t see any more movement in transfer market.

Ive never seen this player but from your description sounds like he has potential.

My one worry with Argyle recruitment is physicality. I watched Sheffield Wednesday reserve side and they look like monsters.

Reactions: Tugboat

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
In some situations I think referees make decisions that are very poor or incorrect, but wouldn’t enlarge that and say that they are “rubbish” or “useless” in the sense that every single decision they make is poor or incorrect.
Same with players, they may do things during matches that are very poor, but it doesn’t make them “rubbish” players, because every professional footballer has already shown they have considerable abilities.
The current dry spell serves to remind me of the Minister for Drought, who was so successful that his portfolio was later changed from Drought to Floods, the Rt Hon. Denis Howell MP. When it comes to rubbish referees he was the genuine article. On 11 Feb 1961 he refereed Argyle v Huddersfirld. At some stage an Argyle fan threw an empty Simonds Brown Ale bottle at him. The thrower was neither found nor prosecuted. So bad was Howell that even the keenest policeman would gave sided with the 'offender'. The FA were not so benevolent, closing our ground for 2 weeks On 18 Mar 61 we were forced to entertain Ipswich at Plainmoor. And if your still unsure about attaching the word rubbish to referees, ask any supporter in their 70s or 80s about a certain GW Pullin (Bristol) and an infamous game v Southend in April 1958, the nearest Home Park has ever come to a lynching. Happy days😃

Lancastergreen

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿
Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
Jan 12, 2017
Plymouth
I think today answered the OP point

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
At least you acknowledge they were rubbish. That’s two of us !
I think promoted Wigan were very happy with Kell Watts last season and Bolton with Aimson to be fair. Maybe they weren't played in a position to show their strengths so well here?

Reactions: Dan Ellard
Aug 6, 2022
But we didn't struggle for goals last season and we haven't lost a single player that we wouldn't want to lose. So we are as good as last year, and only better. There's no evidence to suggest we struggle for goals, any more or less than last season. Fans claiming that our formation change could be responsible, is laughable, and frankly clutching at straws. Not a single one of these people could put together a powerpoint with a detailed examination of how our current formation is likely to see us score less than last year. So until someone can produce something impressive with considerable data/research that suggests how we might be worse off, then it's based on nothing at present other than just short-term reactions to a game here, a game there. It's no different to a lad going to the gym for the first time in his life and complaining after that he's not built like Cristiano Ronaldo, and then deeming that a failure. Believe in the process. Play the long game. You can't win 46 games a year, scoring 3 goals per game. If after 15-20 games we continue to score 1, 1 & 0 continuously as we have done, then maybe it's time to consider that something is not right. But coming to panic conclusions after 3 games? We've played 2 top-end L1 sides in those 3 games, and a particularly awkward L1 side in the other. Give the process time to yield its potential.

The thing is that if we suddenly core 3 at the weekend - what will people in here actually say? I'm genuinely curious. Would they still say we have a problem? Or suddenly we're good? What would happen?

And that's why it's never good to jump to conclusions after 2 league games. We've just put 2 past Peterborough and won and they are always up at the top end of L1.