Gyabi goes back to Leeds | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Gyabi goes back to Leeds

Apr 15, 2004
East Devon
Ex Premier League is a poor man's Houghton! Seriously?
'Ex' being the appropriate prefix BG ..... maybe he's 'ex' for the reason - there's alot of miles on the clock and a number of injuries. Not doubting his previous pedigree - Bielsa loved him apparently but he's shown little or nothing so far. That Wednesday performance sticks in my mind and I can't shift it.

Oct 9, 2023
Exactly this. He was great when he first joined but post-injury was poor. Hopefully the break will have got him back to his previous level again.
I also think Gyabi will be a miss. Yes, he's inconsistent but he was really good in some of the games and provided the energy in midfield we otherwise lacked. We don't have another player like him.
Yes, we will badly miss Gyabi's
box-to-box energy as our midfield is fairly static and not the fastest .

Any free agents out there to replace Gyabi ?

Whether there are or not,
obviously, Devine , Callum Wright and Roberts will have bigger roles to play now in midfield .

As regards high energy and speed,
how about Mumba (from Monday onwards) being used more either :
a) In a central midfield role (like Azaz, Mayor before) as the link between midfield and the striker(s) or,
b) As a number 10 with Whittaker both playing centrally just behind Hardie ?

Also, could Sousa with his energy, speed, tall, athletic body be used in a central midfield role a la Kamará , Gyabi,
Nicky Marker etc. to win headers,
move us up the pitch, cover the
central defenders , give assists,
even score goals !

Ideas or just clutching at straws !!

demportdave

🍌 Bomber Harris.
Jul 6, 2005
Disappointing news, I thought Gyabi had something about him.

Our January transfer window dealings look pretty poor now. We needed it to be as successful as last season but that's obviously not going to be the case.

Gyabi and Forshaw remind me of when we signed Alan Peacock and Alan Sealey in 1967-68 season.

Like Forshaw and Gyabi, each of them were good players when fit but unfortunately, both were crocks who ended up barely playing for Argyle.

Because of serious knee issues, Peacock had spent more time in Leeds General Infirmary than he did on the training pitch and Sealey had never recovered from a badly broken leg he got playing cricket!

We were relegated from the second tier that season, as were Rotherham...

Sep 6, 2006
'Ex' being the appropriate prefix BG ..... maybe he's 'ex' for the reason - there's alot of miles on the clock and a number of injuries. Not doubting his previous pedigree - Bielsa loved him apparently but he's shown little or nothing so far. That Wednesday performance sticks in my mind and I can't shift it.
Course he's ex or he wouldn't be with us. You seem to be judging him on one mistake V Wednesday.

Sep 22, 2020
this is a bad blow. i would say he was the best addition in january. Phillips looks great at 6'5" and has played well at times but his lack of experience has cost critical goals.

Houghton offers nothing going forward and is very limited. Randell is better and can find the forward pass and has goals in him but can get caught on the ball.

Both were seemingly replaced as not quite up to it but with darko gone and forshaw doubtful we are back to the pre christmas players less cundle and azaz.

all in the balance but seems things are going against us.

Apr 15, 2004
East Devon
Course he's ex or he wouldn't be with us. You seem to be judging him on one mistake V Wednesday.
Forshaw's whole 70-odd minutes against Wednesday was dire .... to be fair so were the rest. But the change when Houghton came on was remarkable. Against Ipswich it was the other way round - we were well in the game until he replaced Houghton... Then he started with two bad blunders, and from then on the whole team could barely string two passes together. So no, not judging him on one mistake.

I accept he may be struggling for fitness and may yet show his previous undoubted class. I certainly hope so. That reminds me - against Sunderland he picked up an injury but didn't want to go off .... He struggled on then went off for treatment which was when they scored against our 10 men. (Hasney was going nuts on the radio saying he should be subbed BEFORE the goal). Then a few minutes later he did go off. Too late. Poor from him and the manager imo.

Last edited:

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Let's hope not! What is the obsession with Wright? Made reasonable contribution towards end of last season but never up to Championship standard. Not for me - too lightweight and no pace...

It's not an obsession, at least not from me, I was merely pointing out that Gyabi has recently played further forward in the number 10 role and with him now no longer an Argyle player Wright might get a chance.

It could be that lack of numbers due to injury and suspension that Wright (and maybe Scarr) will be on the bench against Norwich.

Jan 16, 2024
Totally agree.

I’d like to a see a midfield three of Forshaw, Houghton and Devine (Randell interchangeable with Houghton).
Playing with a back 4, I'd be interested to see Pleggy as the holding midfielder sitting deep and two of Forshaw, Houghton, Randell or Devine ahead.
Like others have commented its a shame to lose Gyabi, but he was inconsistent and we need people at worst scoring 7 out of 10 each game if we're going to get the points we need.

Reactions: Paul green14

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
This has to become a positive and be an opportunity for someone else. Alfie Devine, and maybe even Callum Wright… step right up.

Ok CW has struggled, but he still has the ability to unlock a tiring defence at this level. See the last minute winner v Stoke.

Oct 9, 2023
Playing with a back 4, I'd be interested to see Pleggy as the holding midfielder sitting deep and two of Forshaw, Houghton, Randell or Devine ahead.
Like others have commented its a shame to lose Gyabi, but he was inconsistent and we need people at worst scoring 7 out of 10 each game if we're going to get the points we need.
Yes, Pleggy as the holding midfielder ,
or Devine or even Edwards at times, all of whom can alternate with Houghton.

Thus allowing Forshaw and Randell to play further forward and this could be good for Argyle as Randell has a great shot on him and is very dangerous
( just outside and just inside the box of
the opposition).

With Pleggy used in midfield, then hopefully Dan Scarr will be picked
in defence more often to help
the first team with his aerial power in both boxes, his fearless never-say-die attitude, his leadership skills
guiding and helping the younger players.

Reactions: Green gino