Grant, Edwards or Randell v Ipswich? | Page 5 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Grant, Edwards or Randell v Ipswich?

Who should replace Houghton v Ipswich?

• Randell

Votes: 95 49.7%
  • Edwards

Votes: 55 28.8%
  • Grant

Votes: 32 16.8%
  • Someone else

Votes: 9 4.7%

• Total voters

Graham Clark

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
🚑 Steve Hooper
Nov 18, 2018
Ipswich generally play a 4-2-3-1 system which does not favour a central midfielder (say in a 4-3-3) marking the player in front of the back three which has always been Houghton this season. In the 15 League games Randell has barely played 30 minutes as a substitute and only once for a few minutes in the last 11 League games or so. I don't think he's actually replaced Houghton in those games.

Given how Ipswich play it may give Ryan Lowe the option for playing Edwards in the central role and Broom as RWB (He said recently Ryan Broom was recruited to challenge Joe Edwards in that RWB role). That would resolve the Mayor / Broom conundrum. A surprise option may be Gillesphey who is an accomplished distributor wide and combative. Someone will have to pick up Conor Chaplin who always raises his game against us. Gillesphey might best fulfil that role.

mutley marvel

Cream First
✅ Evergreen
Feb 13, 2021
RL will pick the best squad at his disposal to get the 3 points- he will see the players in training day in day out, mull over possible formations, tactics & adapt the game plan to get the win

He will want to get one over in fellow Scouser Paul Cook- whoever he picks - the unit will be well drilled, very cohesive & mentality switched on from minute 1- the players will see it as just another game in the marathon that is a season in league 1

I will have no worries over the squad he picks as they are all on the same page & very capable

Reactions: David Doidge

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
There are a lot of different views here.

From the beginning I've been thinking if Randell doesn't get a game now, coming in for the position that he covers on the bench. Then when will he get a chance? He's not a 17 year old who'll only come on in dead rubber end of season games. If not now, then when? What game would be suitable for him?

An alternative might be to move Edwards to DM, and bring Randell in as RWB. That way Randell still plays, and out on the right is where he'd been playing on loan at Torquay.

I've also been thinking that Mike Cooper didn't start off last season with too many great overall performances. Many thought he was particularly dodgy on crosses. And he had to work on and improve his game. But without real match time how do you find out where you need to improve? If we genuinely want to develop our youngsters, then they need to play, at least when they can. Now seems like an opportunity for Randell to get a proper game under his belt.

I'd rather keep 90% of the team the same, and if it's not working change it at half time.
I agree. He deserves to be given the opportunity in the role that RL has indicated, on more than one occasion, that he is covering for (Houghton’s). If he is not selected, it will put his career back and harm his confidence. He will not fail for lack of commitment and he should be included in a team that is brimming with confidence rather than a reserve team that is experimental.
He is only just 21 and, admittedly, has not shone in the Pappa John’s games but, on reflection, neither have Wilson, Garrick, Burton, Gillesphey, Edwards, Camara or Agard when they have played in this competition.

up the line

🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
Interesting that those who don't want Randell and would choose Grant to replace Houghton, also suggest anyone but Ryan Law to replace Grant at LWB. Presumably this is again due to inexperience. How are Randell (21) and Law (22, and in his fourth year as a pro) to gain experience if they're not picked?

Sadly, I suspect that amongst those who don't trust these young players is a certain Mr R Lowe. To answer the thread's question, it ought to be Randell, but I don't think it will be.

The above problem is not helped by the apparent lack of competitive senior football for those who don't start for the first team. How much competitive football do Randell and Law play? How does the occasional 20 minutes off the bench prepare Agard if he's needed to play 90? And how are the long term injured (Bolton, Ennis, G Cooper) going to get match ready once the injuries have healed? Not blaming the club for this as I believe steps were being taken to rectify this a couple of years ago, and then Covid arrived. However it is a significant issue for Argyle at present.
Actually good call. Law at LWB, Grant holding mid. Its a possibility

Sep 6, 2006
RL will pick the best squad at his disposal to get the 3 points- he will see the players in training day in day out, mull over possible formations, tactics & adapt the game plan to get the win

He will want to get one over in fellow Scouser Paul Cook- whoever he picks - the unit will be well drilled, very cohesive & mentality switched on from minute 1- the players will see it as just another game in the marathon that is a season in league 1

I will have no worries over the squad he picks as they are all on the same page & very capable
So are you suggesting no point discussing it then? Lowe does get it wrong occasionally you know. He is not above questioning. My concern for this game is how we play without the ball. We can be quite open at times and they could hurt us.

Mar 21, 2010
Plymouth
So are you suggesting no point discussing it then? Lowe does get it wrong occasionally you know. He is not above questioning. My concern for this game is how we play without the ball. We can be quite open at times and they could hurt us.
Not the way I read it BG , looked like mm was just posting her opinion , much the same as you have done after your first sentence.

Argyle Nutter

Golf Liaison Officer ⛳️
🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
Brickfields Donor
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jan 16, 2006
On the sunny side of the street
It needs to be a player who can sit and protect the defence, Camara's strength is running forward so I don't think he's the best candidate.

Grant's partnership with either Mayor or Broom on the left is crucial to the team so I think it will be Edwards with Garrick playing at RWB.

Unfortunately Randell's career has gone backwards this season after much hope at the start, the lack of games and Houghton's excellent form has really hindered him.
This for me

Jul 14, 2005
This for me
I agree..Randell has had limited match time this season. I really rated him at Torquay but League 1 is a big step up. Ipswich are on the up and we need experience in midfield. We have good options at left and right wing back which could release Conor or Joe into CDM role. My choice would be Joe because of his energy and tenacity.

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
Is
That would be very concerning against the highest scorers in the League.
Isn’t attack supposed to be a good form of defence. We are also one of the highest scorers in the league as well as Ipswich and do possess a very good defence considering our goals against. Let them worry about us I say. I thought Garrick looked good at RWB so I’d not be worried about playing him there myself.

Aug 17, 2005
Something interesting last season both peterboro and Hull both lost 11 matches. We are a third of the way into the season and only lost one. So whoever replaces Houghton and whatever the result its not the end of the season should we lose

Reactions: saxman
Mar 16, 2009
London
If we’re serious about promotion we shouldn’t be experimenting in a match against a key rival.

Someone else mentioned starting Edwards in the Houghton role and moving Broom to RWB, where he was so effective for Cheltenham. This sounds like the best solution to me, since it requires the least personnel tweaks, thus provides the least likelihood of stifling our all-important momentum.

Mayor starts and Grant stays as LWB.