Grandstand Redevelopment - Argyle Admin Staff on the move! | Page 9 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Grandstand Redevelopment - Argyle Admin Staff on the move!

S

satfan

dunlop":33tgye60 said:
Sat in a different seat in the Grandstand tonight watching the youth team the girders are definitely a problem.
Surely a cantilever upward pointing roof would end the girder problem. It would be disappointing if they are still there remember Gorden sparks pillar was to be removed and put in his garden.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
The pillars also hold up the Leitch stand from the ground up.

I think if Argyle paid £50m for the refurb I don’t think it would be enough to defy gravity!

Steve Dean

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
IJN":2jfwicle said:

I think if Argyle paid £50m for the refurb I don’t think it would be enough to defy gravity!
Nah, just slice through 'em.

No problem!

Image3.jpg

Jul 29, 2010
Does anyone know if a recognisable 'schedule of works' is out?

Nothing precise, just a loose idea at what point certain actions are due. Primarily I'm after a ballpark date for when the Grandstand is last used for paying customers. I'd really like to get down for that game... and shift/leave arrangements need to be made well in advance :sad:

Have they said it will be open and being used throughout this season?

Jul 29, 2010
GreensOnScreen":fv0dr1gh said:
IJN":fv0dr1gh said:

Nah, just slice through 'em.

No problem!

Image3.jpg
Great photo but to my untrained eye I am unsure it would be so easy to just slice them off where the seating starts.

A trained eye might convince me otherwise but the roof may well be partially bracing the front and rear pillars.

Daz

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
Pasoti Quiz Champions
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 30, 2003
X Isle":26cetocn said:

Nothing precise, just a loose idea at what point certain actions are due. Primarily I'm after a ballpark date for when the Grandstand is last used for paying customers. I'd really like to get down for that game... and shift/leave arrangements need to be made well in advance :sad:

On the Argyle twitter account they have posted this today "The end of an era - tonight is the last chance to see #pafc under floodlights with the Mayflower grandstand as we know it".

Argyle Nutter

Golf Liaison Officer ⛳️
🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
Brickfields Donor
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jan 16, 2006
On the sunny side of the street
Daz":4f005eu0 said:
X Isle":4f005eu0 said:

On the Argyle twitter account they have posted this today "The end of an era - tonight is the last chance to see #pafc under floodlights with the Mayflower grandstand as we know it".

I would imagine that it is only due to tonight being the last scheduled evening game this season, with the main work on the stand starting in May after the playoffs.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
There are only four pillars as well, quite spaced out so you're only ever going to be 'affected' by one at a time.

I sit there all the time and it's never been an issue, indeed I sit there BECAUSE of the great view.

The cost (money we don't have) to remove them is completely disproportionate to the benefits, though I'm not sure if the extended roof in Stage 2 allows a solution...?

Jul 29, 2010
Biggs":1xuge4oj said:
There are only four pillars as well, quite spaced out so you're only ever going to be 'affected' by one at a time.

I sit there all the time and it's never been an issue, indeed I sit there BECAUSE of the great view.

The cost (money we don't have) to remove them is completely disproportionate to the benefits, though I'm not sure if the extended roof in Stage 2 allows a solution...?
This, with big brass knobs on.

Imagine the almighty sh*tfit that would erupt if multi-millions were spent on something that really isn't a problem at the expense of team strengthening.

Some people really do want their cake and eat it. The Grandstand really *IS* the best view in the house and the pillars have spoilt anything for me. Let us not spend money that we really don't have to.

cheshiregreen

✅ Evergreen
Feb 17, 2004
cheshire
Daz":ongtodaz said:
X Isle":ongtodaz said:

What about the play off semi? That could be an evening game. Pessimistic about our chances :)

Jul 29, 2010
cheshiregreen":12m70ltc said:
Daz":12m70ltc said:
X Isle":12m70ltc said:

What about the play off semi? That could be an evening game. Pessimistic about our chances :)
:lol:

This is the thing though. Logically, despite offices and infrastructure moving out, the club would, you'd have thought, keep the seats available during the season. But have the club ever gone on record at any point to say this?, is there a loose schedule of works available?

It is also however not inconceivable that we were doing so badly earlier in the season that thoughts of high demand at the back end of the season were fanciful to say the least. They COULD have decided at that point to sacrifice a few games at the end of the season to get the works pushed forward before the summer.

There is some logic in both scenarios. My original question was does anyone know. It seems we don't :sad:

Oct 24, 2010
The tender process would take around three months from the date of planning so the start should be early March. The obvious hurdle is whether the tenders come within budget, if not there would be delays in looking for cost savings or obtaining more finance.

Feb 17, 2017
esmer":3uvy8dmw said:
The tender process would take around three months from the date of planning so the start should be early March. The obvious hurdle is whether the tenders come within budget, if not there would be delays in looking for cost savings or obtaining more finance.

How can the tenders not come in within budget, surely costings would have already been done and a preferred contractor in place ready to start once planning was passed, if not where has the figure of 5 million come from or is it just a case of having to keep sharpening our pencils in terms of what we are getting until we are within our 5 million budget, all seems a bit ass about face to me, some clarification or simple structure/time line would be helpful in dispelling any rumours.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
X Isle":3e5vqnc3 said:
This is the thing though. Logically, despite offices and infrastructure moving out, the club would, you'd have thought, keep the seats available during the season. But have the club ever gone on record at any point to say this?, is there a loose schedule of works available?

It is also however not inconceivable that we were doing so badly earlier in the season that thoughts of high demand at the back end of the season were fanciful to say the least. They COULD have decided at that point to sacrifice a few games at the end of the season to get the works pushed forward before the summer.

There is some logic in both scenarios. My original question was does anyone know. It seems we don't :sad:

As the upper tier seating is 'relatively' unaffected by the work going on (with most of the rebuilding happening to the lower tier and extending the back out), it's not inconceivable that there will be very little disruption with the upper tier work happening in the off-season. Concourse refitting, reseating etc.