Grandstand Redevelopment - Argyle Admin Staff on the move! | Page 10 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Grandstand Redevelopment - Argyle Admin Staff on the move!

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Neilz5419":fj8f0okp said:
How can the tenders not come in within budget, surely costings would have already been done and a preferred contractor in place ready to start once planning was passed, if not where has the figure of 5 million come from or is it just a case of having to keep sharpening our pencils in terms of what we are getting until we are within our 5 million budget, all seems a bit ass about face to me, some clarification or simple structure/time line would be helpful in dispelling any rumours.

Projects always go over-budget for a whole variety of reasons. Unforeseen circumstances, weather, changes in the economy, accidents, a rise in building materials etc etc etc.

Obviously the hope is that doesn't happen, but it doesn't point to PAFC 'ass about face' incompetency if it does.

May 16, 2016
Biggs":37p9dw7j said:
Neilz5419":37p9dw7j said:
How can the tenders not come in within budget, surely costings would have already been done and a preferred contractor in place ready to start once planning was passed, if not where has the figure of 5 million come from or is it just a case of having to keep sharpening our pencils in terms of what we are getting until we are within our 5 million budget, all seems a bit ass about face to me, some clarification or simple structure/time line would be helpful in dispelling any rumours.

Projects always go over-budget for a whole variety of reasons. Unforeseen circumstances, weather, changes in the economy, accidents, a rise in building materials etc etc etc.

Obviously the hope is that doesn't happen, but it doesn't point to PAFC 'ass about face' incompetency if it does.

At any other project it would be almost expected or 'one of those things' , here however, It's bound to be incompetence and cheap option based poor decision making. ;)

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Biggs":1tdm0cft said:
X Isle":1tdm0cft said:
This is the thing though. Logically, despite offices and infrastructure moving out, the club would, you'd have thought, keep the seats available during the season. But have the club ever gone on record at any point to say this?, is there a loose schedule of works available?

It is also however not inconceivable that we were doing so badly earlier in the season that thoughts of high demand at the back end of the season were fanciful to say the least. They COULD have decided at that point to sacrifice a few games at the end of the season to get the works pushed forward before the summer.

There is some logic in both scenarios. My original question was does anyone know. It seems we don't :sad:

As the upper tier seating is 'relatively' unaffected by the work going on (with most of the rebuilding happening to the lower tier and extending the back out), it's not inconceivable that there will be very little disruption with the upper tier work happening in the off-season. Concourse refitting, reseating etc.

I can't see that happening to be honest, H&S is bound to have a say in something so very logical. Plus, working around things in such a way could slow things right down.

May 8, 2011
The Club all through the process have talked about the phasing of the works, even last week in a Herald article it was mentioned, basically the Far Post and changing rooms are built, then the internals of the Grandstand are stripped and the extension built, finally the upper tier and roof done.
I am surprised so many people don’t seem aware and assume the seating will be closed on day 1 of the works.

Jul 29, 2010
HC Green":1axrw1vr said:
The Club all through the process have talked about the phasing of the works, even last week in a Herald article it was mentioned, basically the Far Post and changing rooms are built, then the internals of the Grandstand are stripped and the extension built, finally the upper tier and roof done.
I am surprised so many people don’t seem aware and assume the seating will be closed on day 1 of the works.
I am sorry it surprises you HC, but not everyone follows local media and not everyone hangs on every official site article on redevelopment, not least down to previous false dawns and historic vagueness on detail.

Assumptions arise when clarity is not forthcoming. In fairness it is also an assumption on your part that because 'upper grandstand' is mentioned last on the list the effect of the former has no bearing on the latter. As Ian says the health and safety implications of fee paying customers having access and egress from what could be at all points surrounding it a building site are huge.

Clarity on when they anticipate the current grandstand's 'farewell game' will be would be welcome. Apart from anything else they could (nay should) make a marketing gimmick out of it, 'last chance to watch from the seats your great/grandfolks used'.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
X Isle":dy1uqq68 said:
Apart from anything else they could (nay should) make a marketing gimmick out of it, 'last chance to watch from the seats your great/grandfolks used'.

And... I'm hoping... 'chance to BUY the seats your great/grandfolks used' :thumbup:

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Biggs":em1ee0ah said:
X Isle":em1ee0ah said:
Apart from anything else they could (nay should) make a marketing gimmick out of it, 'last chance to watch from the seats your great/grandfolks used'.

And... I'm hoping... 'chance to BUY the seats your great/grandfolks used' :thumbup:

Most people in the grandstand look as if they've been sat there since it was built, let alone their grandparents :)

May 8, 2011
X Isle":2wd2bn8o said:
HC Green":2wd2bn8o said:
I am sorry it surprises you HC, but not everyone follows local media and not everyone hangs on every official site article on redevelopment, not least down to previous false dawns and historic vagueness on detail.

Assumptions arise when clarity is not forthcoming. In fairness it is also an assumption on your part that because 'upper grandstand' is mentioned last on the list the effect of the former has no bearing on the latter. As Ian says the health and safety implications of fee paying customers having access and egress from what could be at all points surrounding it a building site are huge.

Clarity on when they anticipate the current grandstand's 'farewell game' will be would be welcome. Apart from anything else they could (nay should) make a marketing gimmick out of it, 'last chance to watch from the seats your great/grandfolks used'.

I surprised at comments about people not following media coverage of the Grandstand refurb as it is a rather major development.

As for marketing for tonight’s game, I think over the last few weeks there have been enough clues that work is starting soon such as

Argyle leasing temporary office space at Crownhill,
Community Trust staff moved to the new offices,
Portakabin moved to the other end of HHP,
Remaining admin staff moving to Crownhill on Friday,
Green Taverners meeting re FFC tonight,
Marquee relocating from 25th Feb.

If the work isn’t starting soon, then why are Argyle are going through quite a bit of expense and disruption?

Keepitgreen

🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
HC Green":2rwmdnvu said:
X Isle":2rwmdnvu said:
HC Green":2rwmdnvu said:

I surprised at comments about people not following media coverage of the Grandstand refurb as it is a rather major development.

As for marketing for tonight’s game, I think over the last few weeks there have been enough clues that work is starting soon such as

If the work isn’t starting soon, then why are Argyle are going through quite a bit of expense and disruption?
That's where the ice rink is going.

Argyle Nutter

Golf Liaison Officer ⛳️
🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
Brickfields Donor
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jan 16, 2006
On the sunny side of the street
X Isle":1xc1gb06 said:
HC Green":1xc1gb06 said:

Now
You'vee spoilt p Rick Cowdreys April fool Twitter gimmick So he's gona have to think up something else.

Oct 24, 2010
Neilz5419":1r47063b said:
esmer":1r47063b said:
The tender process would take around three months from the date of planning so the start should be early March. The obvious hurdle is whether the tenders come within budget, if not there would be delays in looking for cost savings or obtaining more finance.

The cost plan would have been done at a very early stage based on preliminary information before detailed working drawings were available.The one thing which is true of cost plans is that they are always wrong, it's just a question of by how much and in which direction.

May 8, 2011
Keepitgreen":2c6t1rji said:
HC Green":2c6t1rji said:
X Isle":2c6t1rji said:
HC Green":2c6t1rji said:

That's where the ice rink is going.

The shop and ticket office are staying for the time being so that will stop any work in that part of HHP.

Jul 29, 2010
HC. I know all that. The answer to my original question isn't in there. I'll give it a further stripdown...

When will the current grandstand's last game be?

May 8, 2011
X Isle":6yizkabt said:
HC. I know all that. The answer to my original question isn't in there. I'll give it a further stripdown...

When will the current grandstand's last game be?

Difficult to say as the fixtures for 2018/19 haven’t been released yet.

T

The Grumpy Loyal

Smiffy obviously isn’t aware that impact on seating at games in the Grandstand wont be until next season, at the earliest.