Good signs for next season | Page 8 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Good signs for next season

Sep 25, 2010
Looking at the final League tables, one area we desperately need to improve on, is our away record, winning only 3 away games.
If you look at the teams that finished just above us, they won more away games.

Don’t think , going down to the final game, having to win to stay up, would have been necessary, with a better away record.

Apr 15, 2024
What's a 13 goal Championship striker worth then?
A lot less than last February which from memory is last time he scored
Sadly Whittakers valuation will have dropped likewise for a myriad of reasons not least his dire performance against Hull one of far too many last few months

Anyway I'm certain Hardie is going nowhere and if Hallett sticks to contracts signed rather than letting Whittaker do a Shumacher than neither is our top scorer

Where the £10 million comes from for a massive rebuild this summer (over and above new monies next season) I really dont know as Hallett is clearly more interested in the overall portfolio value of the club and I cant blame him

Dec 20, 2022
TBF as I grew up with Evans I know what sort of person he is/was away from the pitch so had no time for him and don't regard him as a legend like many others but I wouldn't have slated him on here, just don't like him.
Its just a shame Balham cant admit that Hardie isn't too bad, I have no idea who the Roger guy is though.
He was or still is an Argyle fan from
Bristol, used to post on here 20 odd years, had a pathological loathing of Mickey Evans.

Reactions: Lancastergreen
Jul 6, 2005
A new manager won't be told 'here are the tactics'. They'll be given the brief that we expect to play a certain way. Attacking entertaining football.

It's not that difficult to grasp is it?
We will probably have the lowest budget in the Championship again next season.

To some extent at least, I think the budget will affect the way we play; it has to.

As such, to expect to be able to put together a team that plays "attacking, entertaining football" might be unrealistic.

Jan 6, 2004
We will probably have the lowest budget in the Championship again next season.

To some extent at least, I think the budget will affect the way we play; it has to.

As such, to expect to be able to put together a team that plays "attacking, entertaining football" might be unrealistic.
And yet attacking entertaining football seemed to serve us best this season despite our low budget

Jul 29, 2012
In terms of what we've established from this season, we can say the squad (contracted) can be broken down into the following;

Top End Championship
Cooper
Whittaker

Championship
Mumba
Gibson
Galloway
Forshaw
Hardie

Good Squad Depth
Hazard
Scarr
Edwards
Houghton
C Wright
Miller
Randell
Bundu

Jury is out
Pleggy
Earley
Sorinola

Not Good Enough
T Wright
Waine

Not Good Enough - YET (Loan)
Issaka
Baker
Endacott
Halls

(my opinion of course)

That is 7 players, with a full substitutes bench, bar none being sold, that can perform effectively and well in a Championship level XI. Add 4 more to come in to cement ourselves in Millwall or Swansea's position next year and we can be happy!
Season just finished , and ignoring the youngsters , we started with 25 players including 5 loanees . Assuming T Wright is transferred and Waine loaned , that leaves us with 16 . As its unlikely that we’ll retain or be able to retain - all of the contracted players - if we are to have the same squad depth , we’ll most likely be signing 5 loan players again I guess - we’re looking at signing 4-8 permanents .

Although contracted players - I’m not including Galloway or Miller - may be placed on the transfer list ( although I don’t think they will ) other than MW, MC , RH and Gibson , it’s difficult to see another Chanpionship club wanting to sign any of the others meaning that they’ll then have the opportunity to prove themselves to the new manager . Realistically though at some stage the promotion squad will break up.

Reactions: demportdave
Jul 29, 2012
And yet attacking entertaining football seemed to serve us best this season despite our low budget
The budget will affect the calibre of players we can sign .

Our budget this year is likely to have been £7M. Quite a lot of other championship clubs budget’s based on last years accounts lodged at Companies House is likely to be in the £12M but quite a lot of those clubs are losing £5M + a year .

With the increase in the tv money it depends on whether they use it to reduce the losses while maintaining current budget or plough it into wages . For us , we have the opportunity to potentially close the gap on other clubs although still being at or towards the bottom of the salary table .