Games that get stuck in your head | Page 5 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Games that get stuck in your head

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
jay_smithy":23r22o4z said:
Portsmouth home in the play offs, best footballing memory, hartleys winner sends chills down my spine everytime I watch it.

Go on then, we all love watching that one!!

0LoZTHa.gif

Ray Stidwell

Jam First
āœ… Evergreen
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
Sep 20, 2003
Penn, near High Wycombe
lipsonlad67":36s1smzc said:
Ray_Stidwell":36s1smzc said:
argyle_flyer":36s1smzc said:
Sheffield Wednesday 1-3 Argyle 2003

A Tuesday night game, over a thousand there. Absolutely dominated the game from start to finish. A brace from Friio.

I couldnā€™t make it, but that view was also expressed to me by a neighbour, a life-long Owls fanatic, who took to chanting ā€œFriioā€ whenever he saw me over the next few months!
He was almost proud of that being the finest Away performance heā€™d ever seen against his beloved Wednesday.

About 10 years after that game, got chatting to a chap at work about football, turns out he follows the Owls, his eyes lit up when I told him about my club Argyle. Without any prompting, he waxed lyrical about that match and just how good Argyle and their supporters were that night.

Interesting, Curious isnā€™t it?!
The only time I recall at Home Park being similarly enthralled by the opposition & ā€œ giving over toā€ & indeed marvelling at their superiority was October 1967 when Chris Chilton & Ken Wagstaffe of Hull were just superb in a Hull 5-2 Thrashing of us.

Emu

Oct 3, 2003
Sarf London
Ray_Stidwell":v1q5zx91 said:
argyle_flyer":v1q5zx91 said:

A Tuesday night game, over a thousand there. Absolutely dominated the game from start to finish. A brace from Friio.

I couldnā€™t make it, but that view was also expressed to me by a neighbour, a life-long Owls fanatic, who took to chanting ā€œFriioā€ whenever he saw me over the next few months!
He was almost proud of that being the finest Away performance heā€™d ever seen against his beloved Wednesday.

One of the finest Argyle away performances I can remember seeing Ray. Funnily enough, one of the closest to that was three day before (I think) when we hammered Port Vale 5-1 at Vale Park. Happy days!

Flagman

šŸ‡®šŸ‡ŖšŸ‡®šŸ‡ŖšŸ‡®šŸ‡ŖšŸ‡®šŸ‡ŖšŸ‡®šŸ‡ŖšŸ‡®šŸ‡Ŗ
Auction Winner šŸ‘Øā€āš–ļø
Oct 16, 2003
Leixlip, Co. Kildare, Ireland
nick_PASTIE":5b8wgynf said:
jerryatricjanner":5b8wgynf said:
earl grey":5b8wgynf said:
Cardiff-2006 3-3. Probably wrong on something there tho.
That was a good one if that is the one where Cocko bundled it in at the Devonport End deep in stoppage time.

Atmosphere was incredible in the second half, made more toxic by the glee the Cardiff fans had goaded us with in the first half. Loudest Iā€™ve ever heard the Mayflower that night.

I remember a 4-4 around New Years in 1984 when we lost Crudgie and I think Nisbet went in goal, pretty sure we were losing and came back to draw. Freezing and foggy but I was 7 so may be a little hazy!

Can also remember a night at Ninian around then when we stood next to Michael Foot and they gave us what felt like the main stand and we won. Bizarre, car broke down on the way home too.

More recently, QPR promotion game, same season at Loftus, Notts Forest home first game back in Champ, play off v Portsmouth all stick in head vividly!
That game is the one game that sticks in my mind too. I think it was Boxing day in the 85-86 promotion season. The game was memorable because of the injury to Crudgie, the terrible condition of the pitch due to heavy rain and the efforts of one man, Kevin Hodges who chased everything with 20 minutes to go and was the catalyst for us earning a point when the game seemed lost. For me it was that game and that player that defined the 85-86 promotion season. Oh and a certain Mr Tommy Tynan, but his contribution was much later in the season. The foundations were laid on boxing day 1985

Sep 6, 2006
Flagman":1yc45z1u said:
nick_PASTIE":1yc45z1u said:
jerryatricjanner":1yc45z1u said:
earl grey":1yc45z1u said:
Cardiff-2006 3-3. Probably wrong on something there tho.
That was a good one if that is the one where Cocko bundled it in at the Devonport End deep in stoppage time.

Atmosphere was incredible in the second half, made more toxic by the glee the Cardiff fans had goaded us with in the first half. Loudest Iā€™ve ever heard the Mayflower that night.

I remember a 4-4 around New Years in 1984 when we lost Crudgie and I think Nisbet went in goal, pretty sure we were losing and came back to draw. Freezing and foggy but I was 7 so may be a little hazy!

Can also remember a night at Ninian around then when we stood next to Michael Foot and they gave us what felt like the main stand and we won. Bizarre, car broke down on the way home too.

More recently, QPR promotion game, same season at Loftus, Notts Forest home first game back in Champ, play off v Portsmouth all stick in head vividly!
That game is the one game that sticks in my mind too. I think it was Boxing day in the 85-86 promotion season. The game was memorable because of the injury to Crudgie, the terrible condition of the pitch due to heavy rain and the efforts of one man, Kevin Hodges who chased everything with 20 minutes to go and was the catalyst for us earning a point when the game seemed lost. For me it was that game and that player that defined the 85-86 promotion season. Oh and a certain Mr Tommy Tynan, but his contribution was much later in the season. The foundations were laid on boxing day 1985

It was New Years Day

Jun 24, 2008
I remember the 6-1 drubbing of Newport County well.

I can also remember the game vs Barnsley which got called off due to rain. We were losing but didn't we win the replay of this game?

Forest of Dean Green

āœ… Evergreen
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
Mar 5, 2009
Gloucestershire
September 2001. The 'Joe Kinnear' game. Everyone packed into one stand. On the way to 102 points. Beautiful.

Also, very fond memories of the 3 nil win against Exeter when the stands had all reopened.

Feb 2, 2007
macleanie":275wgi4u said:

I can also remember the game vs Barnsley which got called off due to rain. We were losing but didn't we win the replay of this game?

I think we scored first but then shipped 3 or 4 before the ref called a halt, much to our amusement. Got a feeling the rearranged game was a 0-0 or 1-1 draw. Got soaked in the Central Park water feature that night. Think we had an abandonment against Leicester a couple of years before that too for similar reasons.

Jun 24, 2008
nick_PASTIE":2xsbst14 said:
macleanie":2xsbst14 said:

I think we scored first but then shipped 3 or 4 before the ref called a halt, much to our amusement. Got a feeling the rearranged game was a 0-0 or 1-1 draw. Got soaked in the Central Park water feature that night. Think we had an abandonment against Leicester a couple of years before that too for similar reasons.

You may be right. I just remember feeling amused that we got points from the replay which we really shouldn't have had. Probably the only bit of luck that went our way around that time!

Was a crazy night, can remember the goals, the ball getting stuck in the mud from a pass around the centre circle and the ref just giving up ordering players off the pitch much to our amusement!

May 22, 2006
Ah, the Barnsley game. 4-1 down at half-time, I don't think I've ever heard an abandonment received with such enthusiasm. The ref called the game off at 60 minutes, and the Barnsley faithful were incandescent. By the time they re-arranged the fixture, we'd shored up the defence a little but couldn't score to save our lives, thus a very drab 0-0.

The abandonment against Leicester worked against us. We were playing some terrific football (under Pulis no less) and Chadwick had scored a rare, rare goal to put us 1 up at half time, but the players never re-emerged. To be fair I've never known such persistently heavy rain over such a long period, I remember having to take my socks off and wringing them out. I'm sure parts of Central Park were flooded. But we won the re-arranged fixture with a Wottsy special, so no harm done.

Emu":30qaoklh said:
Ray_Stidwell":30qaoklh said:
argyle_flyer":30qaoklh said:

One of the finest Argyle away performances I can remember seeing Ray. Funnily enough, one of the closest to that was three day before (I think) when we hammered Port Vale 5-1 at Vale Park. Happy days!

That Port Vale game is one that always sticks in my head. Friio was immense again that day, getting a standing ovation from all 4 sides of Vale Park when he was substituted. I can still see his shot curling into the top corner even now.

I recall the motorway being shut on the way up and there being a continuous stream of Argyle fans coming in all match, even late into the second half.

Before the match Port Vale were close to the top, and we were about 10th, and we played them off the pitch. That was when I realised what a team we had and we were going to do well that season.

Looking back at the green bible, we beat Tranmere 6-0 the Saturday before, Bristol City 4-0 in the cup in the week, 5-1 against Vale and then it was the Sheffield Wednesday game. What a ten days!