Games that get stuck in your head | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Games that get stuck in your head

Sep 24, 2003
Plymouth
There's a 6-3 home win against Leeds that springs to mind, I think it must have been around '87? The obvious ones against QPR, Colchester and Darlington have of course already been mentioned.

Oct 1, 2013
jespafc":67xow90f said:
Swindon away...2003 (or 2004 maybe).

Their fans were awful and right in our face at 2-2...only for King Marino Keith to step up and slot home that winner. First time I've ever been directly threatened at a game, as a Swindon fan informed me that he would be waiting for me outside afterwards! he wasn't of course.

But seeing the Argyle fans celebrate behind the goal and also in the main stand where I was sat was fantastic. I still love watching the highlights of that game today. The second goal was a thing of beauty too.

I was there on that day too... incredible scenes.
Swindon signing "2 nil and you f**ked it up" only then to be brought crashing back down by Marino Keith...
"2 - 2 and you f**ked it up" ... amazing game!

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
Positive: Away to QPR in the League cup. 0-3. Perfect performance start to finish. :scarf:
Negative: I really think 'Remember Reading 4-3' might be on my headstone. Never forget that one! :facepalm:

John Cooper

Cream First
Brickfields Donor
Auction Winner šŸ‘Øā€āš–ļø
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
Feb 20, 2011
Peverell
For the good reasons Argyle away at Oldham where Dougie Anderson had a good game and we won 0-1 from an early Tynan pen.
Orient away win 0-2 in Shiltons days, saw Kevin Ayers gig same night.
Ipswich away, 1-2 win with Laws wonder goal.

For the bad reasons, shitty away when McCormick single handedly threw the game with calamity keeping.
Reading away 4-3 capitulation

May 3, 2017
The match that always sticks with me is that semi final against Colchester in 96. I was in the old Devonport End terrace and I canā€™t recall an atmosphere as electric that night in all my years supporting Argyle. The limbs when that diving header went in from Paul Williams was a sight to behold!

lipsonlad67

šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Apr 17, 2016
Deepest Lincolnshire
Aldershot away in February '13, we desperately needed the points and went away with a deserved 2-1 victory. Also the 3-1 game at Hillsborough, a real footballing masterclass served up by Argyle, the team and the Green Army that night were brilliant.

Aug 3, 2008
Plymouth
Every Saturday":umvigj7i said:
The 7-3 away win at Bournemouth in 75 was rather memorable ... as was the 3-2 at Rushden in 2001. After the Rushden game you just had the feeling the team Paul Sturrock had put together was a bit special ...

I was at that match and I was there when they beat Hereford away 5-0 a couple of weeks later.

Ray Stidwell

Jam First
āœ… Evergreen
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
Sep 20, 2003
Penn, near High Wycombe
Many of those said already, but like Memory Man, Iā€™ll go back a while to November 1973, at Loftus Road, when ā€œThe Impossibleā€ happened & lowly 3rd Division Argyle rocked High Flying QPR 3-0, in the League Cup. Another ā€œbonkers eveningā€ but simply in the sense that we systemically demolished them totally out of accordance with the script.
My girlfriend ( now wife) came ; still doesnā€™t get either:
- me hugging complete strangers
- her obligation ( being a lucky omen) to come with me to all subsequent Argyle matches!

H

handbags blake

How about losing to man city 2-0 then beating them 3-1 in the 80's,good old Kevin summerfield

Ray Stidwell

Jam First
āœ… Evergreen
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
Sep 20, 2003
Penn, near High Wycombe
Pogleswoody":ui7c7b2g said:
Positive: Away to QPR in the League cup. 0-3. Perfect performance start to finish. :scarf:
Negative: I really think 'Remember Reading 4-3' might be on my headstone. Never forget that one! :facepalm:

Indeed Pogleswoody, a great pairing of ā€œopposite ends of the emotional spectrumā€.
But, strangely, maybe the numb feeling of ā€œ how did we lose that?ā€ might have been pipped in April 2016 by that painful 1-2 reverse at Sid Jamesā€™ Park

Ray Stidwell

Jam First
āœ… Evergreen
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
Sep 20, 2003
Penn, near High Wycombe
argyle_flyer":2mpm0266 said:
Sheffield Wednesday 1-3 Argyle 2003

A Tuesday night game, over a thousand there. Absolutely dominated the game from start to finish. A brace from Friio.

I couldnā€™t make it, but that view was also expressed to me by a neighbour, a life-long Owls fanatic, who took to chanting ā€œFriioā€ whenever he saw me over the next few months!
He was almost proud of that being the finest Away performance heā€™d ever seen against his beloved Wednesday.

Feb 18, 2009
Plymouth
Stiffler":24bbnck5 said:
And who can forget that Stonebridge moment against them lot up the road back in 2001, McCarthy and Chopsy in the opposition ranks to make it more sweet.

There is a YouTube video on it with Trigger, Romain and Stonebridge which is well worth a watch.

Sends a shiver down the spine if I ever think of this one.
I just remember it being one of those occasions where I found myself hugging and giving out high fives to complete strangers as well as all me mates there with me.

Feb 23, 2008
Plymouth
Sheff Utd away, 1st game after Holloway walked out on us, remember going there all doom and gloom expecting to get turned over but we won 1-0, halmosi with the goal.

Leicester away, 1-0 win, halmosi again with the goal, without a doubt the best away game Iā€™ve been too, special moment, never forget how much that stand was bouncing that night!

Portsmouth home in the play offs, best footballing memory, hartleys winner sends chills down my spine everytime I watch it.

lipsonlad67

šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Apr 17, 2016
Deepest Lincolnshire
Ray_Stidwell":3ofjprj5 said:
argyle_flyer":3ofjprj5 said:
Sheffield Wednesday 1-3 Argyle 2003

A Tuesday night game, over a thousand there. Absolutely dominated the game from start to finish. A brace from Friio.

I couldnā€™t make it, but that view was also expressed to me by a neighbour, a life-long Owls fanatic, who took to chanting ā€œFriioā€ whenever he saw me over the next few months!
He was almost proud of that being the finest Away performance heā€™d ever seen against his beloved Wednesday.

About 10 years after that game, got chatting to a chap at work about football, turns out he follows the Owls, his eyes lit up when I told him about my club Argyle. Without any prompting, he waxed lyrical about that match and just how good Argyle and their supporters were that night.