Games that get stuck in your head | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Games that get stuck in your head

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
argyle_flyer":3fk3z8d0 said:
Sheffield Wednesday 1-3 Argyle 2003

A Tuesday night game, over a thousand there. Absolutely dominated the game from start to finish. A brace from Friio.
i was there also.brilliant match.

Nov 18, 2011
The 4-0 victory away at Accrington in 2012 will always live long in my mind. A rare bright spot in a season where things were at their absolute lowest and you weren't sure if you were ever going to see Argyle again.

The apocalyptic hailstorm near the end of the game whilst loads of the green army were stood topless in the open terrace will live long in the memory!

I looked up our line up for the game and aside from Hourihane it was a real rag tag bunch. It really demonstrates how much the squad has improved in quality since then.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Away at Notts County after Sturrock left for Southampton. I think Luke saved a penalty and there was a lovely feeling of togetherness and 'we're still going to do this'.

Sep 6, 2006
nick_PASTIE":2l8l6fva said:
jerryatricjanner":2l8l6fva said:
earl grey":2l8l6fva said:
Cardiff-2006 3-3. Probably wrong on something there tho.
That was a good one if that is the one where Cocko bundled it in at the Devonport End deep in stoppage time.

Atmosphere was incredible in the second half, made more toxic by the glee the Cardiff fans had goaded us with in the first half. Loudest I’ve ever heard the Mayflower that night.

I remember a 4-4 around New Years in 1984 when we lost Crudgie and I think Nisbet went in goal, pretty sure we were losing and came back to draw. Freezing and foggy but I was 7 so may be a little hazy!

Can also remember a night at Ninian around then when we stood next to Michael Foot and they gave us what felt like the main stand and we won. Bizarre, car broke down on the way home too.

More recently, QPR promotion game, same season at Loftus, Notts Forest home first game back in Champ, play off v Portsmouth all stick in head vividly!

Remember the 4.4 well. V Cardiff. 4.2 down with a couple of minutes to go. HP was rocking. We went on the attack for the 5th in last seconds and it was deafening. Was 85/6 promotion season.
But for those old enough there can only be one game. Biggest game in our history by a mile. Villa Park April 14th 1984

ChepstowGreen

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
♣️ SWAG Member
Jade Berrow 23/24
May 1, 2006
Steve Evans":fzf7v5gr said:
argyle_flyer":fzf7v5gr said:
Sheffield Wednesday 1-3 Argyle 2003

A Tuesday night game, over a thousand there. Absolutely dominated the game from start to finish. A brace from Friio.
i was there also.brilliant match.

Yes me too, a great night

ChepstowGreen

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
♣️ SWAG Member
Jade Berrow 23/24
May 1, 2006
Obviously there have been quite a few incredibly memorable games through the years (though no way near as many as I would like LOL) but to me these are some of the ones which really stand out that I went to.

3-1 v Reading 1994
3-2 at Swansea late 90s
0-3 at Scarborough the Jimmy Glass year (for all the wrong reasons)
2-3 v Wycombe play off semi (special last 20 mins for the whole atmosphere and late rally, unbelievable we were so awful in second leg)
8-1 at Hartlepool

Back in the era of Ceefax, watching us win 3-2 at Stockport on the Friday night in 93/94 around a mate's house, with Castle getting that second half hat-trick, is also a special memory even though the goals just flashed up on a TV screen.

Obviously there were the defeats (1-5 and 0-7 v Brentford, relegation at Burnley, play off defeat v Burnley, etc etc). All in all these moments stick with you don't they, for better and for worse.

COYG

Nov 6, 2006
I remember my first three away games when I was 9. We drew 3-3 at Crystal Palace, won 5-1 at Hereford and won 7-3 at Bournemouth ! What a start to my great away days. Had some bad ones to at Bolton when we lost 5-1 and 7-2 both times. Other ones to remember were Sheff Wed 1 Argyle 3, Darlo 1 Argyle 4, Ipswich away in the full members cup losing 2-1 last kick of the match with 9 from Plymouth and 5 from London in the away end lol

Sep 21, 2003
Peverell
Joe Totale":qd9ylq8t said:
The 4-0 victory away at Accrington in 2012 will always live long in my mind. A rare bright spot in a season where things were at their absolute lowest and you weren't sure if you were ever going to see Argyle again.

The apocalyptic hailstorm near the end of the game whilst loads of the green army were stood topless in the open terrace will live long in the memory!

I looked up our line up for the game and aside from Hourihane it was a real rag tag bunch. It really demonstrates how much the squad has improved in quality since then.

Good shout. I was lucky enough to be there and get hailed on too. At the other end of the spectrum was Exeter away in 15/16. Managed to turn three points into none in a crazy ten minute spell.

Jul 3, 2013
And who can forget that Stonebridge moment against them lot up the road back in 2001, McCarthy and Chopsy in the opposition ranks to make it more sweet.

There is a YouTube video on it with Trigger, Romain and Stonebridge which is well worth a watch.

Aug 5, 2012
Gravesend - Kent
Larry David":3li4h4ow said:
willgreen78":3li4h4ow said:
I think for pure craziness the 6-4 against Preston in 1984 is the one that sticks in my mind. I don't remember exactly how the scoring went but I think we were 3-2 up, then went 4-3 down with 5 mins left. I remember Preston brought a surprisingly large following, and they were all up on the fence between the Barn Park and Mayflower terrace when the 4th went in. In the last 5 mins. we equalised then got a 5th. Cue bedlam and us on the fence the same as them. The police grabbed a load of us and chucked us the back of the Mayflower. We walked around to the demport where the big gate was open, walked back in just in time for the 6th in injury time!
Incredible match.

Yes this one for me. The Tommy English game. Abiding memory for me is a bloke in the away end taking off and throwing his Parka on the floor in disgust as we scored the fifth.

This is still the strangest game I've ever seen. I think the reason it's never much mentioned is the fact there was only 4,000 odd there. I thought Argyle were 3-1 down at ht (could be wrong there) but I do remember Preston's first two goals were unfortunately excellent.

Playing for them at centre-half was Tommy Booth - ex Man City & England who got himself sent off much to the delight of the crowd who had been giving him stick all game. Even one of the corner flags got snapped in half in the second half. It was that kind of game with either a goal or an 'incident' occurring every five minutes. There can't be too many games in our history, if any, where Argyle have come from behind to win 6-4!

cheshiregreen

✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
Feb 17, 2004
cheshire
Some of mine covered off already.

Hillsborough- after that night I knew we were on our way to promotion and it was only October but as cold as February.

Rochdale away - promotion night.

Stanley in the hailstorm.

Not seen anyone mention the Birmingham Lge Cup game in 73/4. there was electricity rationing due to a miners strike so game was played in afternoon. As I was still at school it was lucky the game was near end term. Fantastic volley from Steve Davey after Mariner flicked Furnell's clearance on ball rocketed in from around 25 yards.

Another offering - Palace at home season after in Cup. Big Mal back at Home Park. Argyle 2-1 up and seconds left when Alan Whittle went down in box. Venables spot kick saved by big Jim and it was the last kick of the game. Home Park joyous celebration for all in green.

Emu

Oct 3, 2003
Sarf London
gru_mpy":1uyd88bp said:
Larry David":1uyd88bp said:
willgreen78":1uyd88bp said:
I think for pure craziness the 6-4 against Preston in 1984 is the one that sticks in my mind. I don't remember exactly how the scoring went but I think we were 3-2 up, then went 4-3 down with 5 mins left. I remember Preston brought a surprisingly large following, and they were all up on the fence between the Barn Park and Mayflower terrace when the 4th went in. In the last 5 mins. we equalised then got a 5th. Cue bedlam and us on the fence the same as them. The police grabbed a load of us and chucked us the back of the Mayflower. We walked around to the demport where the big gate was open, walked back in just in time for the 6th in injury time!
Incredible match.

Yes this one for me. The Tommy English game. Abiding memory for me is a bloke in the away end taking off and throwing his Parka on the floor in disgust as we scored the fifth.

This is still the strangest game I've ever seen. I think the reason it's never much mentioned is the fact there was only 4,000 odd there. I thought Argyle were 3-1 down at ht (could be wrong there) but I do remember Preston's first two goals were unfortunately excellent.

Playing for them at centre-half was Tommy Booth - ex Man City & England who got himself sent off much to the delight of the crowd who had been giving him stick all game. Even one of the corner flags got snapped in half in the second half. It was that kind of game with either a goal or an 'incident' occurring every five minutes. There can't be too many games in our history, if any, where Argyle have come from behind to win 6-4!

Remember that Preston game as a 12 year old. What a crazy ending that was. Both teams looked like scoring every time they went on the attack.Luckily Argyle pulled it out of the bag!

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
As ever with me it has to be way back? March 1959 and an 8-3 win at home to Mansfield Town. After a shocking 4-2 home defeat to Accrington on the Wednesday previous we look like we may be throwing promotion away. But the Stags are all over the place and we race into 3-0 lead after 20 minutes - Swinscoe og 2 mins, Govan (9) and Penk (20). Mansfield's Downie (26) and Ripley (28) make it an interesting interval. On 48 minutes Downie equalises in front of 17,000 stunned supporters. The crowd turns on the team. And although it is the best part of 60 years ago I remember the shout from beside me. Penk, running with the ball down the touchline in front of the stand is told by the man next to me: "Open your legs Penk, you won't drop nothing." (It did occur to me to say to him that should be "anything" and not "nothing" but even back then no one liked an 11 year old pedant) But two in three minutes from Gauld (62) and Johnny Williams (65) bring back the smiles. Gauld is then tripped 10 yards outside the box but stumbles on and dives flat out to win a penalty. Carter scores from a 79th minute penalty. 6-3 and all is calm but Johnny Williams hammers in a seventh on 88 minutes. My friend next to me is now shouting: "What a team, what a team." And then the perfect symmetry. Poor old Bob Swinscoe finishes as he started - with an og on 89 minutes. (The following season Swinscoe returns with Mansfield reserve side - and scores an og!)