Funniest moment at Argyle | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Funniest moment at Argyle

S

Steve_Barrie

Not at HP but Dwight Marshall being caught in the nuts by a celebrating fan after he scored at Chester has always made me giggle

Apr 20, 2011
Tetbury
I remember a home game against Coventry in the Pulis era. Dennis Wise came on and my Dad said to me, being quite young at the time, 'he's a dirty b*stard'. First thing he did was hack Pericard to the floor and get a yellow. Priceless.

Chanting 'you're not singing anymore' to Cardiff fans when they were top of the league, 3-0 up and we came back to 3-3 was equally brilliant. As was singing 'shall we sing a song for you?' at Wolves in our penultimate season in the CCC after Gallagher scored in the first minute and we defended for our lives for the rest. In that same game, Ebanks-Blake missed a one on one with Larrieu, blasting it out the stadium, and we cheered as if we'd scored. I remember seeing Sky Sports News later on and Paul Merson commented that it had almost hit his car. Absolutely brilliant.

There was another game at Home Park where the Lyndo linesman had given us nothing all game. Finally a foul was committed so blatantly that he had to raise his flag, but he was so desperate that he threw it onto the pitch. Just shows how crowds can get on people's backs.

Sep 23, 2005
greendan47":2293gzlw said:
Seem to remember a few seasons ago we were playing Swansea at home.
A Swansea player went down injured and their physio came on to help the player.
I remember she was a rather plump lady and as soon as she came on, she was greeted by the chant from
the Swansea fans of "thats why we sh*g sheep ... thats why we sh*g sheep"
It was hilarious at the time but very embarrasing for her!!

Yep one of my funniest moments too

and the "only one Vickie Pollard" chant helped :lol:

Dec 27, 2004
Southampton
Centre Circle":1h0t54mo said:
I remember a home game against Coventry in the Pulis era. Dennis Wise came on and my Dad said to me, being quite young at the time, 'he's a dirty b*stard'. First thing he did was hack Pericard to the floor and get a yellow. Priceless.

Chanting 'you're not singing anymore' to Cardiff fans when they were top of the league, 3-0 up and we came back to 3-3 was equally brilliant. As was singing 'shall we sing a song for you?' at Wolves in our penultimate season in the CCC after Gallagher scored in the first minute and we defended for our lives for the rest. In that same game, Ebanks-Blake missed a one on one with Larrieu, blasting it out the stadium, and we cheered as if we'd scored. I remember seeing Sky Sports News later on and Paul Merson commented that it had almost hit his car. Absolutely brilliant.

There was another game at Home Park where the Lyndo linesman had given us nothing all game. Finally a foul was committed so blatantly that he had to raise his flag, but he was so desperate that he threw it onto the pitch. Just shows how crowds can get on people's backs.

When he missed I remember all the Argyle Fans chanting - "what a waste of money"

Jun 28, 2011
Plymouth
greendan47":3s7f7snz said:
Seem to remember a few seasons ago we were playing Swansea at home.
A Swansea player went down injured and their physio came on to help the player.
I remember she was a rather plump lady and as soon as she came on, she was greeted by the chant from
the Swansea fans of "thats why we sh*g sheep ... thats why we sh*g sheep"
It was hilarious at the time but very embarrasing for her!!

They were also chanting 'one more pasty and you're dead'.

Sep 22, 2011
The occasion in the noughties era when the stretcher bearers ran on to help some player writhing around on the floor. One of the stretcher bearers pulled up with a ham string injury. I shouldn't have really but I laughed my ruddy socks off.

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
Dave Summers":2svbqy06 said:
Back in the eighties a small dog ran onto the pitch.

Cue the Devonport End, 'One Jack Russell, there's only one Jack Russell.........'

:)
That for me too. I thought it was Everton fans in the Lyndy when we played them in the cup but you could well be right. I have recounted that incident many times as my funniest moment at Home Park.

Jul 3, 2006
Always makes me laugh when the ref goes off injured and you get the whole ground singing 'you're not fit to referee'... think the first time I heard it was a home game with Watford in the Championship, we won 1-0 so an all-round good day.

Also, around 5 or 6 years ago someone (Wolves?) had a player called Craig Davies, at the same time that the Channel 4 sketch show 'Bo Selecta!' used to include a character of the same name, based on the popular R&B singer Craig David. The Channel 4 show was n't especially funny, unlike the sight of the Wolves striker warming up in front of the Mayflower terrace to the sound of two thousand Janners all shouting the 'Bo Selecta' catchphrase 'Crrrrrraig Daviessssss' every time he jogged past. The beauty of it was knowing that he got the same treatment week-in, week-out at every ground in the country.

Flagman

🇮🇪🇮🇪🇮🇪🇮🇪🇮🇪🇮🇪
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Oct 16, 2003
Leixlip, Co. Kildare, Ireland
Don't remember the game but we had one of THOSE ref's (yeh the usual give us nothing types), only this one was a little rotund. After a particularly bad decision with various weight comments aimed at the ref one lad shouts out just as the crowd quietened 'My wife's mammaries are smaller than yours.' The fans wife was sat next to him so it had to be said. 'Oh yeh, prove it!'

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
not ribsplitting funny but we played Torquay a few years ago and one of their players got booked: cue: 'You dirty Northern barsteward!!'

best bit was that the ref and the guy being booked were both laughing!

not great but good!!

Mar 25, 2007
Mine was boxing day 2007 vs QPR. Their right-back went to make a clearance and missed the ball completely. He recovered, ran back and tried an overhead kick to save the corner, but booted the ball straight into his own face.

German Shepherd

🚑 Steve Hooper
Oct 2, 2009
Fulwood Lancs
1. Geoff Crudgington playing centre forward at Bolton.
2. John Uzzell slicing a clearance into the tea kiosk at York City.
3. Half time entertainment at Hull City-4 WPCs marching round the pitch with no music.
4. My drunken mate going up to Michael Foot in the away end at Reading saying to him 'I've always wanted to shake Michael Hands foot'.

Too many more too mention.

Wimbledon away last season had a funny moment with Wotton. He got obliterated on the edge of their box and looked in pain. The song "Wotton is a janner, he wears a janner hat, and when he sees a pasty, he says I fancy that" started up. He was visibly laughing as were a few others. Probably explains why the resultant didn't do much but it gave him a lift so did its job.

meetoo

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jul 29, 2010
1. The "shall we sing a thong for you" song aimed at the female physio a few years ago who revealed her thong when bending down to treat an Argyle player.

2. The Iain Dowie post match interview at Home Park when he was asked about Argyle fans throwing Chewits at him and why he was so hacked off... he replied "They wern't my favourite flavour" The next time he came down as a manager a couple Argyle fans gave him some packets of Chewits as he took his seat in the dug out. Brilliant.

3. My personal favourite.... Me asking Ray Clemence "What do you know about football?" when involved in an arguement with him following a pretty nasty tackle on one of his players near to the away dug out. He was lost for words!!

I really do miss the banter around the dug outs. It would certainly be interesting to have some disgruntled Argyle fans around the current home dug out :)

meetoo

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jul 29, 2010
meetoo":1fuj7rff said:
1. The "shall we sing a thong for you" song aimed at the female physio a few years ago who revealed her thong when bending down to treat an Argyle player.

2. The Iain Dowie post match interview at Home Park when he was asked about Argyle fans throwing Chewits at him and why he was so hacked off... he replied "They wern't my favourite flavour" The next time he came down as a manager a couple Argyle fans gave him some packets of Chewits as he took his seat in the dug out. Brilliant.

3. My personal favourite.... Me asking Ray Clemence "What do you know about football?" when involved in an arguement with him following a pretty nasty tackle on one of his players near to the away dug out. He was lost for words!!

I really do miss the banter around the dug outs. It would certainly be interesting to have some disgruntled Argyle fans around the current home dug out :)

Damn I missed one.... Ricky Otto losing his rag and trying to whack an Argyle fan or two with the fold up wooden seat he'd been sat on, when at Home Park with Birmingham City. Apparently he couldn't cope with the banter ;)