From Fairytale to Nightmare (or is it reality) | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

From Fairytale to Nightmare (or is it reality)

Jan 7, 2004
I’ve said it a few times, but it’s taken us 13 years to get back here for it to be undone in 6 months with a nice big TV deal on the horizon would be a massive gut punch.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
I know we’re all preparing ourselves for Birmingham to beat Norwich but it hasn’t happened yet.

We aren’t relegated yet.

I’m in the dumps but I’m hoping the players have one last fight in them

I think we’ll end the season with a limp 2 nil defeat, we never play well on the final day. Then it’s all about the other game.

Dec 18, 2023
I have no love for Pompey or Derby, but, I would say to their decent fans that your club needs to spend big on players in the summer.
You may think your players are the best thing since sliced bread, but the Championship is a different animal since you were both in it last time.
It will eat you up and spit you out in a matter of a couple months.
All the hard work that paved you to get back in the Championship will mean nothing in this league.
All that said, the only place I want to be come next wknd after the games is to be in The Championship what a division to be part of.
And, if we are still in this division surely the lessons of this season must be learnt and never repeated.

Jun 27, 2019
I’m not so sure. Pompey are up, Derby are up, I’d tip Bolton to win the play offs. You’ll have Huddersfield and Rotherham I guess but on the whole I don’t think League 1 will be all that strong next year.
Wrexham and Stockport are loaded and will both have budgets at least as big as ours, Reading will have been sold by then and will be a force, Wigan are getting their act together and have a good manager, Charlton have a very good manager and an excellent squad and three of Bolton, Peterborough, Barnsley and Oxford will still be in the league.

Its going to be as tough as it always is for a club like ours.

Feb 8, 2005
I said it as soon as Dewsnip was appointed. Keep us up, he’s the hero, take us down and he will be off (to Stoke probably).. We should have got a manager in. Warnock was available and willing as were a number of others who would have surely got more of a tune out of what we have.
We have tried to survive in a multi million pound league on the cheap and we are now seeing where that is going to get us. It’s nothing to do with hindsight, it’s how it works
Warnock again!

Let it go.

We had the lowest budget in the league. We are where we are expected to be.

Apr 15, 2008
London
I’m not so sure. Pompey are up, Derby are up, I’d tip Bolton to win the play offs. You’ll have Huddersfield and Rotherham I guess but on the whole I don’t think League 1 will be all that strong next year.
Yeah, that is a fair point. But always the chance Reading and Wigan could be rescued. Peterborough and Barnsley are always strong. It's going to be hard, especially if we don't get the manager recruitment right.

Reactions: Cobi Budge

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Obviously the Foster appointment was a failure but to be fair the coaching staff that left for Stoke were for some reason not replaced. What were the club thinking?

Because it was Foster’s decision not to hire anyone. But that should have been foreseen at the job offer stage, and how we ended up without proper fitness and conditioning staff should also never have happened. The latter is possibly not the head coach’s remit… who knows, it was clearly a total mess.

Sep 6, 2006
I think we’ll end the season with a limp 2 nil defeat, we never play well on the final day. Then it’s all about the other game.
Yep agree. Worth putting money on a double 0.2 and 1.0 or 2.0 Birmingham. We were also 8.1 for relegation before yesterday which is ridiculous odds. Took that up as a hedge.

Jul 6, 2005
Because it was Foster’s decision not to hire anyone. But that should have been foreseen at the job offer stage, and how we ended up without proper fitness and conditioning staff should also never have happened. The latter is possibly not the head coach’s remit… who knows, it was clearly a total mess.
Hallett admits to not knowing too much about football and although Foster was a Dewsnip choice, at the interview, why didn't Hallett and Parkinson at least ask why a guy with zero experience wasn't looking to bring any help with him?

Were they trying to save money on staff or did Dewsnip think that with him and Nance, Foster didn't need anyone else?

An absolute lash up with the most important position in the club, and just when we thought that Argyle were now so well run and professional.

Sep 6, 2006
Hallett admits to not knowing too much about football and although Foster was a Dewsnip choice, at the interview, why didn't Hallett and Parkinson at least ask why a guy with zero experience wasn't looking to bring any help with him?

Were they trying to save money on staff or did Dewsnip think that with him and Nance, Foster didn't need anyone else?

An absolute lash up with the most important position in the club, and just when we thought that Argyle were now so well run and professional.
I understand one of the physios was a student. If correct says it all re cost cutting and explaining the position we find ourselves in.

Sep 3, 2011
I didn't know that. But similar to what you said if that's the case then alarm bells should have been ringing loud & clear at the interview stage

Sep 3, 2011
I understand one of the physios was a student. If correct says it all re cost cutting and explaining the position we find ourselves in.
I wouldn't have thought Argyle would have to be cost cutting, find that hard to believe. If relegated then they surely will be cost cutting