Fletcher's body language last night | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Fletcher's body language last night

Jun 21, 2005
N Hampshire
As others have said, I don't think we should be too hard on Fletcher, he's only trying his best, if thats not good enough it's then the fault of the clubs management for not helping or removing him.

Sad thing now is, the only excitement we can look forward to this season is seeing a new decent experienced manager :-(

Feb 13, 2004
Not where I should be.
GB1, he IS the club's management!

He needs to come out and say something like "we were below standard tonight, I am not happy with the effort put in. Clearly we need to up our fitness levels and set piece work. Because of this we are going to to double sessions on the training pitch starting at 9am tomorrow"

If he was actually honest about things, perhaps he would gain a bit more credibility and even some sympathy and support from the fans.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
It's itchingly irritating which further divides the support from his managerial post. Again I put some blame on Brent, we need a clear and concise judgment based on the reality that we face right now.

To smoke screen it with stonewall denial shows a complete lack of respect to the fanbase both on the management and owner front.

To be where we are right now with no knowledgeably chairman to take the footballing helm shows a complete part time attitude from Brent. If I wanted/needed an employee as important as Brent needs a chairman then I'd bust a gut on a daily basis to find one. It does NOT take 5 months and still be looking. Maybe he thinks we're a little slow down here but nothing he has said has yet been delivered.

Right now we are a poor state of affairs from the board room to the players and no one seems capable, bothered or willing to stand up, grab the problem by the scruff of the neck and beat it out of argyle.

I want my club back and football to be the priority again. That seems a long way away from the shambles we are at present.

Apr 4, 2010
Cornwall
Cerbera":3nzp7nob said:
GB1, he IS the club's management!

He needs to come out and say something like "we were below standard tonight, I am not happy with the effort put in. Clearly we need to up our fitness levels and set piece work. Because of this we are going to to double sessions on the training pitch starting at 9am tomorrow"

If he was actually honest about things, perhaps he would gain a bit more credibility and even some sympathy and support from the fans.

No, that is how you would go about dealing with the media if you were in charge that doesn't make it the right way to proceed.

There is not just one way to manage a football team, Fletch has chosen his desired route and has stuck with it. He keeps his cards close to his chest and only ever gives people as much information as he thinks they should have. This may seem like he is pushing the fans away but he is only doing this as he sees it as the way forward. A lot of managers do it, a lot of managers don't like talking to the media and it doesn't make them any less of a manager, in fact it shows that they are considering every angle including the outside influences provided by the media and fans.

Maybe giving more away interview wise would get him a bit more credibility and support from us fans but he's not in it for our support or sympathy, he wants results and although he is struggling to get them right now he feels the best way of getting them is by doing things his way, whether he is right or wrong is open to debate but I applaud him for not selling out his beliefs and sticking with it.

Feb 13, 2004
Not where I should be.
You applaud him for not selling out his beliefs all you like. He won't thank you when he's out of work and looking to manage somewhere in the BSS/BSN.

All we are seeing from the club and the manager is a stone wall of silence on the clear failings. Failings of the Chairman (really, you get more letters asking you to keep Carl Fletcher? I call BS on that) the manager for his lack of ability and man management and the players for no commitment.

Al little honesty and openness which we were all promised this time, would go a long way. Instead we get news of redundancies and choose next season's shirt FFS!

Apr 4, 2010
Cornwall
Cerbera":1xe140hb said:
You applaud him for not selling out his beliefs all you like. He won't thank you when he's out of work and looking to manage somewhere in the BSS/BSN.

All we are seeing from the club and the manager is a stone wall of silence on the clear failings. Failings of the Chairman (really, you get more letters asking you to keep Carl Fletcher? I call BS on that) the manager for his lack of ability and man management and the players for no commitment.

Al little honesty and openness which we were all promised this time, would go a long way. Instead we get news of redundancies and choose next season's shirt FFS!

Sorry but what do you expect? Can you really honestly expect any chairman anywhere to come out and say that he has lost all faith in his manager and the search for a replacement has begun but Fletch will remain whilst the search continues? That isn't honesty and openess that is disrespectful and rude, JB will be looking at results etc. and will know things aren't going to plan, Fletch's job will be far from secure however we will only be told as fans when the time comes for Fletch to be removed out of not only respect to a man that has done his best as player and manager for this club but to give him the best opportunity to turn things around whilst he is in charge with the public backing of his chairman even if privately the wheels are in motion for change...

Sep 3, 2009
Wasn't there so can't comment on Fletcher's body language but if true, it is backed up by how he handles the post-match interview - a shrug here, a shrug there, one word answers to questions etc

I don't believe it is because he doesn't care, or, at the other extreme, that he is playing his cards close to his chest (ref: 'ollieargyle') but more that he doesn't know what to do next or how to respond to the most basic of media questioning (it can't get much easier than than open goals given to him on Argyle World's interview 'grilling').

Agree with Cerbera's assessment about pretty much everything else.

Time for a change, we need some experience - the 'give the untried manager in the hope we unearth a diamond in the rough' option has failed.

Feb 13, 2004
Not where I should be.
Ollie, I think you are twisting that a bit. Obviously no Chairman is going to say that his manager is toast and we are looking to replace him. My point was that if the manager was more honest and came out with the sort of comments that the Fireman made after Dorchester, there would PERHAPS be a little more respect for his current position.

He is merrily carrying on as if nothing is wrong.

Aug 10, 2006
he has done that most of the time he has been manager just stands there ok i know some managers do but i would like to see more arm waving and shouting from the touchline even if it's bullshite at least it will look like he has a bit of passion.

Apr 4, 2010
Cornwall
Cerbera":4khp04m7 said:
Ollie, I think you are twisting that a bit. Obviously no Chairman is going to say that his manager is toast and we are looking to replace him. My point was that if the manager was more honest and came out with the sort of comments that the Fireman made after Dorchester, there would PERHAPS be a little more respect for his current position.

He is merrily carrying on as if nothing is wrong.

Apologies, it was a bit of a "shock" statement to back up my argument, I noticed your comments towards the failings of the chairman which for me suggested JB was also at fault for keeping quiet on something, if that wasn't what you meant then I apologise.

I see where you are coming from, however I doubt that Fletch is "merrily carrying on" he knows the situation he is looking at here, which is why we have seen him make some desperate decisions of late (playing as many attacking players as possible against Wimbledon then getting caught out to name one). I would also hope the frustration coming from the the fireman is actually a by-product of the frustration coming from the manager. Just as we wouldn't expect JB to hang Fletch out to dry, to some extent some managers choose to do the same for their players, whilst protecting the players from the media and fans he may actually be giving them what for behind the scenes, which could be the reason for his defence of his younger players a few months ago when they were being booed. I'm not certain of this but I refuse to believe that Fletch is completely oblivious to the situation he finds himself in...

Feb 13, 2004
Not where I should be.
He would have to have the skin of a rhino not to be aware of the feelings of the fans towards him. He only has to look at the internet or the media.
He exited the pitch quick sharp last night when (it seemed like) the whole of the Devonport and Lyndhurst were loudly booing at the end of the game. The loudest and most sustained displeasure I have heard at home.

Mar 23, 2008
Although the body language of a manager is not the be all and end all, I do think its symptomatic of their general aura. I used to like Holloways energy and felt it was symbolic of his manner in and around HP and was infectious. Fletchers body language was uninspiring and lacked energy, much like his team, the two may not be entirely coincidental.

Jul 6, 2011
If we win on saturday all this will be forgotten and Fletch will be our blue-eyed boy again.
That's how much I trust the assertions on this site :mad:

Jul 29, 2010
Nah, been there done that. Had to win at Barnet, and did, benefit of doubt duly given we slip back to this old rubbish again.

So we win on Saturday, does that make everything alright?, can we have confidence it'll not be just another false dawn? No, he's lost me, we'd need 3-5 wins on the spin to compensate for the 3-5 defeats on the spin and that's simply not going to happen.

Saturday, 5pm, I'll still want Fletch to go, win lose or draw. It's taken a long time for him to lose me but lost me he has.