fletcher out ! | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

fletcher out !

bodspafc

🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
Aug 8, 2005
Bristol
Pilgrim":1q7ahitj said:
You must remember that during the 3 game winning run we had; two of those wins were against the two bottom sides in the league and we only beat Rochdale by having two penalties awarded, as we did at Morecambe. Since the Rochdale game we've registered back to back defeats. Fletcher out.

Ok, but also don't forget that we've just lost 2 away games by 1 goal against 2 teams in the top 6 without 2 of our most important players in the team.

Fletcher in!

Apr 21, 2012
Malvern
max":26js1w3o said:
RichPAFC":26js1w3o said:
This defeat was sort of half expected

Course it was expected. We are used to crap, expect crap and get crap!!!
Dont you think the city of Plymouth deserve more that this rubbish? About time Brent got his cheque book out and got us a team the city can be proud of, instead of mediocre rubbish!!!
Spend some of the gate money!!!!!

That might explain this comment then.

1) money does not make a successful football team
2) the lack of patience you and your like are showing now is a direct example of the " I want it all and I want it now" brigade. This attitude is precisely why the entire country is in a poo state and not just OUR football club

Grow up.

N

newquaygreen

bodspafc":v7filk4o said:
Pilgrim":v7filk4o said:
You must remember that during the 3 game winning run we had; two of those wins were against the two bottom sides in the league and we only beat Rochdale by having two penalties awarded, as we did at Morecambe. Since the Rochdale game we've registered back to back defeats. Fletcher out.

Ok, but also don't forget that we've just lost 2 away games by 1 goal against 2 teams in the top 6 without 2 of our most important players in the team.

Fletcher in!

:iagree: :iagree: :iagree:

max

Jan 5, 2012
PORTSMOUTH
hermangelmet":6nz1orwr said:
max":6nz1orwr said:
RichPAFC":6nz1orwr said:
This defeat was sort of half expected

Course it was expected. We are used to crap, expect crap and get crap!!!
Dont you think the city of Plymouth deserve more that this rubbish? About time Brent got his cheque book out and got us a team the city can be proud of, instead of mediocre rubbish!!!
Spend some of the gate money!!!!!

That might explain this comment then.

1) money does not make a successful football team
2) the lack of patience you and your like are showing now is a direct example of the " I want it all and I want it now" brigade. This attitude is precisely why the entire country is in a poo state and not just OUR football club

Grow up.

And how long would you like to wait for a decent team? You are obviouly well used to rubbish and are quite happy to go on taking it.
Some of use have higher standards!!
Money does make a successful team, like it or not!

GET REAL!!

N

NorfolkGreen

When the prediction poll for our finishing place took place, didn't 15th-18th come out as the majority verdict? therefore, we are precisely where we thought and whilst disappointing, we do need to accept our extreme limitations. I am not disappointed by the position, yes I am always unhappy we are not winning, but my expectations are realistic.

As for saying we are worse than last year, especially when stats are used to be so definitive for some arguements, surely we are in a better position after an equal number of games?

No, I'm not happy with our lack of success, but realistically this is where we are and where we may be for some time, with only minor incremental improvements year on year a possibility.

It's like giving your Son £5k to buy a car and then being annoyed when he doesn't come back with a Ferrari.

I would love us to win every game, but in reality, it isn't going to happen. We have key players out at the moment. The Christmas period will tell us a lot, as we will lose a lot of players who are on loan. If we go on a bad run over Christmas, then I will be jumping on the Fletcher Out Bandwagon.

The fact is I am a realist, not an optimist.

G

Greenskin

John Petrie":3d3udrbo said:
We should not be 18th at this stage of the season with a budget that is competitive with the top ten at the least at our disposal.

We should not be bringing Feeney on when we need a goal, he is just not good enough and we need tough decisions to be made about his future. My preference would be not to see him play for us again and for some of our youngsters to be given a chance instead, Lecointe deserves a chance after being thrown in at the deep end last season. Chadwick can also probably be considered in this bracket as well. Up front I think we have two capable forwards, in Griffiths and Madjo, two out of their depth, in Feeney and Chadwick, and a few good prospects deserving of a chance, in Lecointe, Sims and maybe even Tyler Harvey, although I have not seen him myself so it's hard to say.

We are still very vulnerable from set-pieces. We give away too many around our box because too often we end up defending too deeply and get suckered into giving away silly free kicks. If we aren't going to have height in our team then we need to press high up the pitch, to cut down on the opposition's chances of getting free kicks in dangerous areas, and be more disciplined around our own area. This also has the added bonus of allowing us to win the ball higher up the pitch, and, in my opinion, we have played our best football when playing a high line.

We have, however, improved in a few areas. Fletch has brought in a pacey full back, in Griffiths, which makes us a better prospect both going forward and in defence. We have also seen an improvement in our possession football, where increased confidence and movement has seen us boss games and look likely to score. These improvements are good signs, and Fletch deserves praise for them.

We have just lost two tough away games and performed well in at least one of them, the problem lies with the repetition of the same mistakes. We need to play a higher line, we need to keep pressing high up the pitch and we need not to see Feeney play up front. It will take bravery from Fletch to get us to push up the pitch, and to drop experienced players in favour of promising youth, but, if the old players aren't good enough then stop hoping that it might work and if you concede too many goals from set pieces then push up the pitch and make sure that the fouls, if they are still committed, are committed in less dangerous areas.

I've said it plenty of times before, and I'm going to say it again, inexperienced managers normally have experienced assistants, DoF's and coaches around them to help speed up the learning experience. I still think that Fletch needs these around him to help him build on the positive changes he has brought in, and to point out his persistent failings. Sometimes a new perspective can help. After recent signs of improvement I'd give him a few more games to see if he can bring about more improvements, if we see the same mistakes then we will need a fresh perspective and a fresh approach to the squad.

I would also say that we need to see an end to arguments based around limited resources and rebuilding. We have seen Fletch bring in a lot of players since he took charge so it is nobodies fault but his own if he doesn't have the required players in each position, we are not operating in the lower part of the league in terms of budgets and we are an attractive proposition to players at this level. We were in the Championship not long ago; our history shows that we have spent far more time at higher levels than this; we get higher crowds, home and away, than most in this league and we are able to compete in terms of wages with the vast majority of the league, this is what makes us an attractive proposition. For young players wanting games we are a club who can give them game time and has potential to progress through the leagues and to older players we are attractive because of location, lifestyle and the attraction of helping club turn itself around at the end of their careers.

Well said sir.

Oct 5, 2003
Devon
Sticking to my preferance - Fletcher made assistant to someone with experience of running a football club and building squads. Fletcher has time to learn and may well become a good coach but I don't want to see it happen at Argyle's expense. We can't afford to spend too long playing at this level because I believe our crowds are already 'too high' considering the quality of the team and could fall, making promotion that much harder. After all the upheaval Argyle would surely benefit from having some real managerial experience at the club.

Apr 4, 2010
Cornwall
I think our winning run has pushed peoples expectations up a little high, a few weeks of comparing ourselves to the play-off teams and suddenly we think we are just as good and deserve to be there. A run in against two of the play-off teams suggests that isn't the case, arguably we could have got something from this weeks two games however going up against two of the leagues better sides away from home was always going to be a challenge and 0 points although disapointing isn't the end of the world.

I would love to see us fighting with the best of them this season but the truth is at this stage in the long rebuild process the best of them are just out of our reach. It's sad I know but life, previous owners and a history of over spending have hit us hard. After Wimbledon I felt very low and couldn't see a way out for us today however I feel a little disapointed but half expected us to struggle.

Hopefully there were signs of life there, the stats don't look great on paper but I'll be interested to hear what exactly went wrong...

Edited to add...
I disagree John, you say that rebuilding and limited resources shouldn't be considered as a factor however what Fletch is doing doesn't just come down to his choices in player, his plans for this club are to change the whole tactical side of things which takes time to build during that time it is going to be very hit and miss results wise as changes begin to take affect. If we want change for the better and an end to the hoof ball tactics that have done us very little favours in the last few years then we need to stick with it. I know we can't blame our financial difficulties forever but it is still a factor when the entire club has become so accustomed to fighting for its life and not striving for better, I hope that Fletch is the man to turn this club back into a club fighting for promotions but we all have to accept that will take time, it will be the same for any manager that comes in, you can bring in as manynew players as you like but without the ability to get rid of the old ones the culture of struggling for one's life will take time to shake off and replace with a winning mentality.

G

Greenskin

Ollieargyle9":3j68l2p5 said:
I think our winning run has pushed peoples expectations up a little high, a few weeks of comparing ourselves to the play-off teams and suddenly we think we are just as good and deserve to be there. A run in against two of the play-off teams suggests that isn't the case, arguably we could have got something from this weeks two games however going up against two of the leagues better sides away from home was always going to be a challenge and 0 points although disapointing isn't the end of the world.

I would love to see us fighting with the best of them this season but the truth is at this stage in the long rebuild process the best of them are just out of our reach. It's sad I know but life, previous owners and a history of over spending have hit us hard. After Wimbledon I felt very low and couldn't see a way out for us today however I feel a little disapointed but half expected us to struggle.

Hopefully there were signs of life there, the stats don't look great on paper but I'll be interested to hear what exactly went wrong...

Edited to add...
I disagree John, you say that rebuilding and limited resources shouldn't be considered as a factor however what Fletch is doing doesn't just come down to his choices in player, his plans for this club are to change the whole tactical side of things which takes time to build during that time it is going to be very hit and miss results wise as changes begin to take affect. If we want change for the better and an end to the hoof ball tactics that have done us very little favours in the last few years then we need to stick with it. I know we can't blame our financial difficulties forever but it is still a factor when the entire club has become so accustomed to fighting for its life and not striving for better, I hope that Fletch is the man to turn this club back into a club fighting for promotions but we all have to accept that will take time, it will be the same for any manager that comes in, you can bring in as manynew players as you like but without the ability to get rid of the old ones the culture of struggling for one's life will take time to shake off and replace with a winning mentality.

In what way did Fletcher "not have the ability" to show players like Chadders and Feeney the door at the end of last season?

Mar 23, 2008
imasadpilgrim":1bklog9x said:
im surprised but delighted at the sensible comments so far , my faith in the green army is slightly restored :)
You spoke too soon. Concerned me when people were talking about 4-6 points from these 2 away games.

Aug 28, 2012
Two victories and we were looking up and everything was coming together all looked rosy ..........two defeats and it's Fletcher out once again. Unfortunately we should have taken more points from the first 10 games as we all suspected this run of games against the so called bigger hitters may yield little in the way of points. We have another few weeks of hardship I think but looking at December and January fixtures I feel that we can mount a challenge on the top half - appreciate that is not good enough in some peoples books but as an earlier poster mentioned expectations can run away as they have done over the past few weeks.

Nothing changes my opinion that Fletcher is trying to play a different brand of football to what we have been used to - it won't all come together in one hit and there will be setbacks but I believe we should stay strong and see it through - a good win next week against Dorchester, a couple of league wins and a victory against Oxford in the JPT and we'll be smiling again .......... or am I kidding myself ?

Feb 21, 2008
Plymouth
Greenskin":1rfvtodc said:
Ollieargyle9":1rfvtodc said:

Edited to add...

In what way did Fletcher "not have the ability" to show players like Chadders and Feeney the door at the end of last season?
Well Chadders he couldn't as he was signed till 2013.

I agree with the overall theme of yours and John's postings though.

Apr 4, 2010
Cornwall
Greenskin":2k0wb242 said:
Ollieargyle9":2k0wb242 said:

Edited to add...

Well Chadders was tied down to a 2 year contract which when he signed it early in his return he was looking like a very good player and could do no wrong and Feeney I happen to think is a good enough player at this level, he has put in some very good performances from what I've seen this year, his only problem has been that he has been put up front on his own a lot of the time and hasn't stood much of a chance of making much of an impact. I agree that it was a mistake to have played these two today (and to play Chadwick at all) but I'm guessing Rhys wasn't fit and Madjo was tiring by the end and so the Chadders/Feeney partnership was forced upon us in the end...