Final day: what we need to do | Page 16 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Final day: what we need to do

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
I see Dion Sanderson - Birmingham City captain - has been stripped of his captaincy. Also appearing in court today - April 30th - on a drink driving charge. It all helps - at least I hope so.

If you think we are worried just take take a look at some of the Brum thoughts

I wouldn't be as bothered if I was a Birmingham fan, because the investment they're getting is all locked in and their future is surely pretty bright. Whereas this could be a sliding doors moment for us.

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
Those of a nervous disposition look away now.

The last time we played a game on May 4th and the only time since 2008 was the game against Scunthorpe in 2019 where although we won we ended up relegated to League Two.

Thanks to GoS.
On May 4th 1968 Argyle lost at home to Bolton 1-2 and the following week, won at home 2-1 against Palace in the old Division Two. Nevertheless, Argyle ended up 22nd and were relegated. I should not get too hung up over games played on a particular date. On May 4th 1987 we played Stoke at home and lost 1-3. The good news was, that despite the result against our nemesis, we ended up 7th in the League. One of Argyle's best season's performance.
we are not relegated yet !!!

Jun 27, 2019
As opposed to bankrupting ourselves over reaching...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/articles/ckr5yy29k82o

Not going well for Schalke either, chasing the dream.
Why does it have to be one of two extremes? ie. bankruptcy or League One mediocrity.

There is a scenario in which SH finds an investor who is willing to provide a financial crutch while we establish ourselves in the Championship. If we achieve our five-year plan of challenging for the Premier League then their financial stake will be small fry compared with the riches on offer in the top flight.

There's another scenario in which we fail to attract new investors but sell Whittaker in the summer and reinvest that cash and the new TV money into the squad. We may have cocked up our January business but I'd still back our recruitment team to find several gems in the summer.

If we go down then the investor bubble is likely to burst, Morgan's valuation will probably plummet and the calibre of player we'll be able to attract will be much weaker. We may not come back up for years and will have missed out on the Sky TV gravy train.

So yes, in my view it will be a big deal if we go down. A very big deal.

Jan 6, 2004
I dont disagree with you entirely Woodsy, but I dont see the increased sky tv money as a particularly big issue. The way football economics seems to work is that this will be swallowed up immediately by wage inflation, its probably already being factored into player contract negotiations now.

Jun 27, 2019
I dont disagree with you entirely Woodsy, but I dont see the increased sky tv money as a particularly big issue. The way football economics seems to work is that this will be swallowed up immediately by wage inflation, its probably already being factored into player contract negotiations now.
You're probably right, but that'll just make it even harder for us to compete if we go down and come back up because the gulf between League One and the Championship will be even bigger than it is now.

Jan 6, 2004
You're probably right, but that'll just make it even harder for us to compete if we go down and come back up because the gulf between League One and the Championship will be even bigger than it is now.
But if we come back up we will immediately have access to the increased sky tv money? I am not saying it will be easy, I just dont see why it should be harder than now. The reason we are struggling is not because we have just been promoted, our revenues are healthy, even by championship standards, it is that our owner is not prepared to subsidise the playing budget the way every other non parachute club does.

It is what makes the whole situation so frustrating. The club is brilliantly run as a business and fantastically well supported and on a revenue basis alone we are comfortably now big enough to compete in the championship, but this is not enough because every other bugger is having millions extra put in by investors/owners.

Jul 12, 2016
Why does it have to be one of two extremes? ie. bankruptcy or League One mediocrity.

There is a scenario in which SH finds an investor who is willing to provide a financial crutch while we establish ourselves in the Championship. If we achieve our five-year plan of challenging for the Premier League then their financial stake will be small fry compared with the riches on offer in the top flight.

There's another scenario in which we fail to attract new investors but sell Whittaker in the summer and reinvest that cash and the new TV money into the squad. We may have cocked up our January business but I'd still back our recruitment team to find several gems in the summer.

If we go down then the investor bubble is likely to burst, Morgan's valuation will probably plummet and the calibre of player we'll be able to attract will be much weaker. We may not come back up for years and will have missed out on the Sky TV gravy train.

So yes, in my view it will be a big deal if we go down. A very big deal.
I wouldn’t back our recruitment team. Wrong choice for head coach and unable to find the right players.

Reactions: greengodwin
Jun 27, 2019
I wouldn’t back our recruitment team. Wrong choice for head coach and unable to find the right players.
The manager wasn't their choice. As for recruitment, they did identify Whittaker, Azaz, Mumba, Hardie, Ennis etc so they've shown they know what they're doing. Our problem has been January recruitment, but that's probably more down to budgetary constraints rather than a flaw in the process.

Reactions: jthep

Argyleloyal

Pasoti Announcer.
Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
Brickfields Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 25, 2016
But is it?

We miss out on tv money, but with a decent manager and sales funding incoming, can we not look to the play-offs as a minimum?

With our excellent home form returning, with home crowds sold out again, and with less opposition fans giving us more chance of more home supporters watching the match, surely we can make a good go of it if we go down?

In my opinion it is a big deal if we go down, lose loads of money, Morgan, Hardie, Galloway and Gibson will probably go and few others and it will take us ages no doubt to get promoted again and I don’t think the home games will be sell outs like the past two seasons so there’s money lost there as well

Reactions: Devizes Green
Aug 30, 2006
Back to the thread in hand...what do we need to do on Saturday.
I have just watched again the Hull V Ipswich match and firmly believe Hull are definitely vulnerable to Morgs and Bundu. We need to be tidy and tight in midfield that means 3 centrally and brave, direct and quick in the breakdowns...we will get few chances so need to shoot freely and get the crowd on side from the outset.

My biggest fear ....Lady Luck..........goes by the name of Stansfield!

Feb 8, 2005
In my opinion it is a big deal if we go down, lose loads of money, Morgan, Hardie, Galloway and Gibson will probably go and few others and it will take us ages no doubt to get promoted again and I don’t think the home games will be sell outs like the past two seasons so there’s money lost there as well
Nothing lost if we go down. You cannot lose what you haven't got. We'll lose a few players that will want to remain playing in the Championship, but we will recoup and even improve their value in order to purchase others who want a chance at playing their in the future.

The most important thing to do is get a Manager/Head Coach that will turn the players into a team. It might take a few months to really get going, for the manager to see what he has left, for the players to get the way he wants them to play and, barring injuries, we should be able to target the play-offs again, and if we outperform then who knows where we will end up?

I don't think we will lose many season ticket holders, and with a waiting list we will still be able to sell out I'm sure.

As I said no money lost because we didn't have it to lose it in the first place.

May 4, 2012
Sunderland
Back to the thread in hand...what do we need to do on Saturday.
I have just watched again the Hull V Ipswich match and firmly believe Hull are definitely vulnerable to Morgs and Bundu. We need to be tidy and tight in midfield that means 3 centrally and brave, direct and quick in the breakdowns...we will get few chances so need to shoot freely and get the crowd on side from the outset.

My biggest fear ....Lady Luck..........goes by the name of Stansfield!
They didn't seem to like Hutchinson cutting in from the right to shoot. They couldn't handle him. The way to cause them problems has been highlighted, and if we can get the ball to Whittaker in similar areas (and support him with other players getting up around him so he's not out of the game) then we can definitely cause them problems. Just a case of whether we'll do that or not, and I think we're more likely not to with the plan likely to be more defensive.

Reactions: Pbennyboy