Favourite headed goal? | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Favourite headed goal?

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
In my first year watching, I remember Frank Lord, really strong in the air, getting on the end of great crosses. He looked like a giant out there, sobering to meet him years later when I was fully grown, to find he was about my size!! Either I'm a giant or he wasn't (really). He was but just not physically I guess! :nworthy:

Some bog standard (good choice of words) away match at Newport County, Tuesday night maybe?, chuckng it down. Dave Kemp up front, we were stood right behind the near post. Corner!! Kempy points to the near post, runs in, BANG!, top corner, keeper rooted, defenders shocked.

Good goal!! Not long later (I think) Kempy points (repeat) ... BANG!. top corner etc.

Gave a real insight into pro football, Kempy was good, they knew what he was going to do but couldn't stop him .... or ... (some) pro footballers aren't the quickest to catch on to a pattern of play!! :lol:

Now Kempy was little but immense in the air!! :nworthy:

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
I remember when George Kirby signed in early 1960ā€™s, he played 14 games before scoring. In that time, he had numerous headers that hit the woodwork or were brilliantly saved. It was a great relief when he finally scored and my recollection is that it was a great header although I may be wrong.
Kirby went on to score 39 goals in 104 games for Argyle. Many of them headers.

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
Pogleswoody":2gh6w7yf said:
In my first year watching, I remember Frank Lord, really strong in the air, getting on the end of great crosses. He looked like a giant out there, sobering to meet him years later when I was fully grown, to find he was about my size!! Either I'm a giant or he wasn't (really). He was but just not physically I guess! :nworthy:

Some bog standard (good choice of words) away match at Newport County, Tuesday night maybe?, chuckng it down. Dave Kemp up front, we were stood right behind the near post. Corner!! Kempy points to the near post, runs in, BANG!, top corner, keeper rooted, defenders shocked.

Good goal!! Not long later (I think) Kempy points (repeat) ... BANG!. top corner etc.

Gave a real insight into pro football, Kempy was good, they knew what he was going to do but couldn't stop him .... or ... (some) pro footballers aren't the quickest to catch on to a pattern of play!! :lol:

Now Kempy was little but immense in the air!! :nworthy:

It is strange how players who look like towering giants from the stands, actually arenā€™t when you meet them. I bumped into Adrian Burrows whilst out walking my dogs near Exeter a few years ago and the same applies. He wasnā€™t nearly as big as I thought , although Iā€™m 6ft 4 myself! Have to say though, he still looked in good shape and wouldnā€™t have been far from his playing weight. Much like myself!!

Feb 15, 2005
Triggers header against QPR and I remember a lot of Rangers fans congratulating us after the match outside the ground.

May 7, 2019
Aaron D.":2j1rpt59 said:
Mauge at Wembley and Trigger v QPR for the importance and mad celebrations.

Yes! Those were the exact same two headed goals that I was going to mention. :thumbup:

Dec 30, 2011
seagreen":bf0tllt8 said:
There have been many important and memorable ones but my personal favourite was at a wet Home Park on boxing day 1971 when Hughie Reed became a superhero by defying gravity to hurl himself horizontally at the ball to score against Torquay.It is captured memorably in a picture where all the other players are miles from Hughie and looking on in apparent awe. I had a great view from the Devonport end of the grandstand, this must have been a Christmas treat as our usual spot was standing on the plylon base at the Barnpark end!

Fully agree with Seagreen. As soon as I saw the subject Favourite headed goal?, I immediately thought of Hughie Reed. It was even more special because he had torn Torquay apart with his dribbling and nobody deserved a goal more, but no-one expected the shortest player in the league to score with a diving header. Most memorable Argyle breakaway goal IMHO.

Dec 30, 2011
davegreenarmy":8q2apxed said:
DrewPAFC":8q2apxed said:
Aside from Triggers..

... the Friio double. 1-0 down in injury time, 2 (almost identical) headers in the last minutes to win 2-1, right in front of the 'Demport.

Beauty.

Vs. Gillingham. Went on this thread to say these goals.

Both great goals and still don't know how he got his head to the 2nd one. Awful game that we were losing 0-1 till Friio's double, then whole stadium seemed to be chanting his name.

Dec 30, 2011
James_Dennis":1ybxndu5 said:
Paul Williams at the far post vs Colchester, play-off semis in May 1996. What a game and what relief after the Burnley game two years previouslty! Experience-wise, probably my best football match ever.

another great goal in a great game - you dont expect your full-back to appear in the penalty box on the end of a breakaway

Dec 30, 2011
Got to be some Mariner headers amongst them - the one I remember best thought was after he joined Ipswich to win a match against Liverpool

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
greensalt":ny0ke1f9 said:
Got to be some Mariner headers amongst them - the one I remember best thought was after he joined Ipswich to win a match against Liverpool

I was at that match GS, with a Plymouthian Liverpool-supporting mate of mine. We knew Mariner would score - and he did! :cool:

Dec 30, 2011
Devongreenowl":1rbxcypz said:
greensalt":1rbxcypz said:

I was at that match GS, with a Plymothian Liverpool-supporting mate of mine. We knew Mariner would score - and he did! :cool:

I seem to recall another v Portsmouth on his debut when we won 4-0 after Westward TV had written us off earlier that evening. Andy Rogers and Brian Johnson also made their debuts on the wings as the team had been struggling in the league.

We had Ernie Machin behind those 3 and Steve Davey, who should have been part of the promotion team but fell out with Waiters allegedly because he refused to play right wing instead of as a striker.