FAO Derek - Quality NOT Quantity This Time | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

FAO Derek - Quality NOT Quantity This Time

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
Not many managers are able to recruit a like for like replacement who is prepared to be able, and willing, to sit on the bench in case the preferred option is injured. As has been stated by many, we were very unfortunate to lose Taylor and Threlkeld to long term injuries. Also, some of our other signings have not achieved the expected standard.

ATS and Lameiras have taken a while to settle and some will say that Edwards has not quite come up to expectations. To add to that, we have had the unprecedented goalkeeper situation that no manager could have predicted.

The only baffling situation has been DA’s perseverance, until recently, with Gary Miller. Even a green tint like me can’t fathom that one although I do believe that, like Kelvin Mellor before him, he always gives 100%.

Aug 17, 2011
Kings Tamerton
davie nine":14iwzt2i said:
Not many managers are able to recruit a like for like replacement who is prepared to be able, and willing, to sit on the bench in case the preferred option is injured. As has been stated by many, we were very unfortunate to lose Taylor and Threlkeld to long term injuries. Also, some of our other signings have not achieved the expected standard.

ATS and Lameiras have taken a while to settle and some will say that Edwards has not quite come up to expectations. To add to that, we have had the unprecedented goalkeeper situation that no manager could have predicted.

The only baffling situation has been DA’s perseverance, until recently, with Gary Miller. Even a green tint like me can’t fathom that one although I do believe that, like Kelvin Mellor before him, he always gives 100%.

So your logic is that if Adams had signed a striker that could play up front on his own that he might have to spend time on the bench rather than Ciftci or Blissett who can’t play the lone striker role and had to be on the pitch? Your example isn’t the only baffling situation. Lameiras hadn’t really taken time to settle either had he? As he was the star of pre-season.

Adams messed up as he didn’t recruit players for his preferred formation and as has been recognised, the team looks far, far more potent with Taylor back. Two things that were incredibly frustrating is the red cards and the goal keeping injuries of which I can totally agree with you didn’t help but I am still slightly (to a degree) worried that DA allowed the teams indiscipline to continue for too long (it seemed). The keeping injuries are a once in a thousand managers career problems he had to face.

Feb 8, 2005
Ade the green":14gndu99 said:
davie nine":14gndu99 said:

So your logic is that if Adams had signed a striker that could play up front on his own that he might have to spend time on the bench rather than Ciftci or Blissett who can’t play the lone striker role and had to be on the pitch? Your example isn’t the only baffling situation. Lameiras hadn’t really taken time to settle either had he? As he was the star of pre-season.

Adams messed up as he didn’t recruit players for his preferred formation and as has been recognised, the team looks far, far more potent with Taylor back. Two things that were incredibly frustrating is the red cards and the goal keeping injuries of which I can totally agree with you didn’t help but I am still slightly (to a degree) worried that DA allowed the teams indiscipline to continue for too long (it seemed). The keeping injuries are a once in a thousand managers career problems he had to face.

I agree that Adams was a little short up front, but how do you know that Adams didn't put in bids for several footballers, first choices, second choices, third and fourth and fifth choices, but was turned down with the player going to another club, even late in the window. It did happen, as we know, and he could have either ran out of time or he ran out of the right quality player to offer a contract to.

You make it look and sound so easy!!

You cannot force a player to come to Plymouth.

Aug 17, 2011
Kings Tamerton
jimsing":2woawuiw said:
Ade the green":2woawuiw said:
davie nine":2woawuiw said:

I agree that Adams was a little short up front, but how do you know that Adams didn't put in bids for several footballers, first choices, second choices, third and fourth and fifth choices, but was turned down with the player going to another club, even late in the window. It did happen, as we know, and he could have either ran out of time or he ran out of the right quality player to offer a contract to.

You make it look and sound so easy!!

You cannot force a player to come to Plymouth.

I don’t know but whatever, he should have made it his priority rather than swanning off to Holland for a week for an increasingly irrelevant “tour”.

We knew very early that we would be promoted and yet he was more ill prepared for the season ahead than when he was dropped in it by Sheridan. For whatever reason.

And, if we couldn’t get them before there’s no chance of getting them in January from what you just said. We’ll see because it’s still a priority.

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
"Swanning off to Holland"? Does it make a difference whether he was in Holland or Plymouth? He would have identified targets with his scouting team and contacts and wouldn't necessarily be involved in contract negotiations anyway should it have got to that stage with a potential signing. He was hardly the other side of the world should he have been needed.

Aug 17, 2011
Kings Tamerton
jerryatricjanner":2ok6d7uw said:
"Swanning off to Holland"? Does it make a difference whether he was in Holland or Plymouth? He would have identified targets with his scouting team and contacts and wouldn't necessarily be involved in contract negotiations anyway should it have got to that stage with a potential signing. He was hardly the other side of the world should he have been needed.

Okay, forget the Dutch holiday. Should he have made it a priority to get in another striker like Taylor with Taylor’s strengths? Did he? and forget no-one wanted to join us, if that’s the case we will not have any luck getting in the required personnel in January as we are in a worse position then.

Mar 27, 2013
BIDEFORD NORTH DEVON
Quailty signing has started already with Remi Matthews on loan for the rest of the season

Feeling Confident more will follow shortly

Last seasons January transfers made the different and We Won Promotion

Looking forward to 2018

Exciting times ahead at PAFC

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
I agree Ade, we looked woefully short of decent striking options when the season started and that we appeared to have signed too many back up wide players. However, it wasn't necessarily the fault of Adams. He too might have seen what our greatest need was but things might have conspired against him for all we know. Without knowing fully what happened behind the scenes it is all too easy to lay the blame at his door.
To January and yes a good addition up front is still priority, as is a suitable replacement IF Toums leaves. The other priority of course was goalkeeper and this has already been very well looked after with the return of Matthews. We start January in a better position than we started the season as far as playing personnel goes and with lessons learnt by the end of the month the situation will have further improved.

Aug 17, 2011
Kings Tamerton
jerryatricjanner":2pz57h0q said:
I agree Ade, we looked woefully short of decent striking options when the season started and that we appeared to have signed too many back up wide players. However, it wasn't necessarily the fault of Adams. He too might have seen what our greatest need was but things might have conspired against him for all we know. Without knowing fully what happened behind the scenes it is all too easy to lay the blame at his door.
To January and yes a good addition up front is still priority, as is a suitable replacement IF Toums leaves. The other priority of course was goalkeeper and this has already been very well looked after with the return of Matthews. We start January in a better position than we started the season as far as playing personnel goes and with lessons learnt by the end of the month the situation will have further improved.

We can only look forward and whilst it is relevant to look at our failings (all) from the beginning of the season a good January window can (somewhat) make up for it. I would hate to be here in February decrying “no back up for Taylor”, but that hasn’t happened yet so i’ll say no more about it until the next window closes (we’ll, maybe a “yippee” here if we sign an adequate backup and a “wow” there if Toums resigns).

May 8, 2011
Ade the green":3kyrtblc said:
jerryatricjanner":3kyrtblc said:

We can only look forward and whilst it is relevant to look at our failings (all) from the beginning of the season a good January window can (somewhat) make up for it. I would hate to be here in February decrying “no back up for Taylor”, but that hasn’t happened yet so i’ll say no more about it until the next window closes (we’ll, maybe a “yippee” here if we sign an adequate backup and a “wow” there if Toums resigns).

I thought the beginning of the season was pretty good, 4 points from the first 3 games.

Aug 17, 2011
Kings Tamerton
HC Green":2i1e60re said:
Ade the green":2i1e60re said:
jerryatricjanner":2i1e60re said:

I thought the beginning of the season was pretty good, 4 points from the first 3 games.

Yeah, that was brilliant form. Let’s play what happened next! You’re a joke if you can’t recognise any poor form and only concentrate on the good.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
HC Green":1ms4krqd said:
Ade the green":1ms4krqd said:
jerryatricjanner":1ms4krqd said:

Yep, it was a good start and even in the defeat against Peterborough we played very well.

Aug 17, 2011
Kings Tamerton
PL2 3DQ":3jaqib6c said:
HC Green":3jaqib6c said:
Ade the green":3jaqib6c said:
jerryatricjanner":3jaqib6c said:

Yep, it was a good start and even in the defeat against Peterborough we played very well.

Didn’t matter though did it? And for every we played well and lost i’ll counter with a we played poo and won. No doubt you place that in the pro list as well.

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
Me too, if 3 games is a fair barometer. I do think we are in a better place now though with Threkeld and Taylor back, Toums and the goalkeeping position strengthened.