F1 2023 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

F1 2023

Jul 29, 2006
Bridgend
New season so we need a new thread, I did consider calling it the 'Max Verstappen 3rd world title thread' but thought I'd try not to be too pessimistic about the season ahead!

Looking forward to the season as ever, just hope that Red Bull aren't too far ahead. Ferrari look strong, Aston Martin could be a real joker this season, especially with Alonso, not sure where Mercedes are - possibly behind Alpine. The less said about Mclaren the better after testing......

My top 5 in the drivers this season; Max, Charles, Carlos, Checo, Fernando
Top 5 constructors; Red Bull, Ferrari, Aston, Merc, Alpine

Andy S

Administrator
Staff member
🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 15, 2003
New season so we need a new thread, I did consider calling it the 'Max Verstappen 3rd world title thread' but thought I'd try not to be too pessimistic about the season ahead!

Looking forward to the season as ever, just hope that Red Bull aren't too far ahead. Ferrari look strong, Aston Martin could be a real joker this season, especially with Alonso, not sure where Mercedes are - possibly behind Alpine. The less said about Mclaren the better after testing......

My top 5 in the drivers this season; Max, Charles, Carlos, Checo, Fernando
Top 5 constructors; Red Bull, Ferrari, Aston, Merc, Alpine
Write off Mercedes at your peril! 😂

I think Lewis will have a slow start but I strongly suspect a modicum of “sandbagging” taking place.

Free practise doesn’t really show anything but qualifying tonight…then we should see what the score really is.

Anyone but Verstappen for the title! :)

Reactions: smudja

GreenThing

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
Sandbagging hasn’t been a thing for years and definitely isn’t a thing now. The teams have a single 3 day test and haven’t the track time to play games. Even if they did have the time, what good does sandbagging do? Teams will develop to the best of their ability regardless of whether their main competitor is 2s faster or slower. Yes, it’s a thing that cars don’t show their true pace in testing, but it’s down to the actual testing programme rather than hiding the pace, they also run their engines lean as to preserve them for the season.

As of who will win? Don’t really care as long as it’s a good battle to the end.

Reactions: Brussels Bureaucrat

Argyleloyal

Pasoti Announcer.
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
Brickfields Donor
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 25, 2016
Max Verstappen wins

1) Max Verstappen, Red Bull

2) Sergio Perez, Red Bull

3) Fernando Alonso, Aston Martin

4) Carlos Sainz, Ferrari

5) Lewis Hamilton, Mercedes

6) Lance Stroll, Aston Martin

7) George Russell, Mercedes

8) Valtteri Bottas, Alfa Romeo

9) Pierre Gasly, Alpine

10) Alex Albon, Williams

• Eye-Roll
Reactions: smudja
Jul 29, 2006
Bridgend
George Russell has claimed that Red Bull could win all 23 races this year, sadly he might be right, they were in a league of their own yesterday. Aston Martin will have a huge amount more of development time than Red Bull which might help the situation.

Ferrari as ever, quick but unreliable - Leclerc potentially facing engine penalties at the 2nd race of the season. Mercedes in a world of trouble, Mclaren an absolute shambles.

Credit to Gasly and Albon yesterday who I thought did really well to get points.

GreenThing

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
The race for the win was non-eventful, but luckily we didn’t see much of Max, just the battle between the Astons and the Mercs. Ignoring the red bulls, it was a good race.

Aug 3, 2013
Coningsby
Love F1 love seeing how the teams work out the rules and build their cars. Would love to see a time laspe of setting up their moto homes and hospitality areas. As for this year a red bull train i thibk.

Merc stuck to their guns with side pods and kept flogging a dead horse. Spent so much time recovering from bouncing last year they lacked development on their zero pods idea. It may be fruitful but not quickly enough for them. Shame as i like lewis and george. Shame on McLaren this yeah but wow Fernando yes.

Reactions: Brussels Bureaucrat

Brussels Bureaucrat

Cream First
✅ Evergreen
Jun 16, 2017
Ixelles/The City of Plymouth
It looks like we're well into the Red Bull era, doesn't it?

I wonder if Lewis Hamilton will ever win another Grand Prix. It seems ridiculous to even type that, but it's not at all inconceivable that he'll never have another car that is challenging for titles.

GreenThing

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth

I wonder if Lewis Hamilton will ever win another Grand Prix. It seems ridiculous to even type that, but it's not at all inconceivable that he'll never have another car that is challenging for titles.
The problem Merc have is the limited funds and testing time. If they have gone down the wrong route with their car, the cost cap won’t allow them to bring in a new car mid-season and there isn’t enough testing time to get it working. If this season is a write off, the only sensible solution is to make sure they finish last in the constructors championship to maximise their wind tunnel and cfd allowance for next year.

Brussels Bureaucrat

Cream First
✅ Evergreen
Jun 16, 2017
Ixelles/The City of Plymouth
The problem Merc have is the limited funds and testing time. If they have gone down the wrong route with their car, the cost cap won’t allow them to bring in a new car mid-season and there isn’t enough testing time to get it working. If this season is a write off, the only sensible solution is to make sure they finish last in the constructors championship to maximise their wind tunnel and cfd allowance for next year.

I'm not sure sensible is the word I'd use, but it's certainly one strategy!

Jul 29, 2006
Bridgend
They've probably already avoided last this season with a double points finish in the first race! Alpha Tauri and Haas look a long way off in race conditions!

The thought of Lewis not winning another race seems ridiculous but its also very possible. If Mercedes don't improve as the year goes on, will he sign a new contract and carry on next year? I know he's saying he'll carry on until he wins the 8th but surely there has to be the possibility of winning it for him to want to hang around.

GreenThing

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
Seems that way, but the race for 3rd has been pretty good so far.