England Vs Colombia | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

England Vs Colombia

Sep 6, 2006
Knibbsworth":35bec74e said:
oldage":35bec74e said:
Didn't help did it.,He missed!

The keeper saved, there's a difference. The Colombian player missed when he hit the bar. Nice of you to draw attention and discuss the one out of five penalty takers who had theirs saved. English blame mentality?

Pasoti is the same when Carey has an effort saved, suddenly everyone is an expert and tells him where he should have put it. Any penalty can be saved.

Nonsense. No keeper would have saved Trippier's.

Mar 8, 2011
Plymouth
Justin":19f8oclb said:
England were woeful.

Emphasis on winning matches through set pieces and practising the dark arts to win free kicks. Oh dear - show some class England!

Not a single shot on target from open play throughout 120 minutes against a poor Columbia.

How can anyone be happy with that?
Oh dear :lol:

We weren't as good as can potentially be but who cares? (We were still better than Columbia) I'm sure Germany, Spain, Portugal and Argentina are very envious of England right now.

Mar 8, 2011
Plymouth
Knibbsworth":1fmept0w said:
oldage":1fmept0w said:

The keeper saved, there's a difference. The Colombian player missed when he hit the bar. Nice of you to draw attention and discuss the one out of five penalty takers who had theirs saved. English blame mentality?

Pasoti is the same when Carey has an effort saved, suddenly everyone is an expert and tells him where he should have put it. Any penalty can be saved.
:clap:

Jul 24, 2009
Some bizarre comments, we won, scored 4 penalties and weā€™re focusing on the one we missed, really? Not a perfect performance but deserved it too. I was surprised by Colombia, they were poor and some of their antics were shameful.

Had a another great night in the pub watching this England side which is more than can be said for the last few tournaments combined.

Come on England!

Mar 14, 2009
The scuffing up of the penalty spot, before Kane took his penalty, by about 3 different Columbians was gamesmanship that went too far.

I understand the importance these games have on their nations, you only have to see that with the reaction of England fans, but the scuffing up of the spot was to me completely rotten, dirty and sickening. Especially when at home you watch them cheating in this manner and yet VAR fails to even book the culprits.

Also have we really sunk to these levels where VAR is used by ā€œfootballing actorsā€ in order to increase their chances of getting an opposition player sent off.

As soon as England went one up the antics of the Columbians was appalling. Thatā€™s not to say England didnā€™t have their moments either in the game where they went down too easily for my liking.

Iā€™m just delighted to finally see an England team win a penalty shoot out, and in the World Cup. I do actually think we might experience another one against the Swedes because lm not sure we can open up well organised teams up easily. Unfortunately, itā€™s the reason l donā€™t us us winning the World Cup as we are lacking in the final 3rd of the pitch in terms of creating chances from open play.

However, what happens now l think England have given something back to the fans in this World Cup and hopefully have something to build on.

Apr 30, 2011
I thought it was a fair performance and we deserved to win. I thought that the ref was very weak but it must be quite unsettling for a ref to have VAR making decisions for him such as the booking for the butt on Henderson.

We were sloppy in the final 3rd and Alli and Lindgard struggled to find the pockets of space that they exploited so well in the first two games.

I didn't see the sense on bringing Vardy on, he is a finisher and someone I would bring on when chasing a game. Rashford can get the ball and take us up the pitch which would helped to relieve some pressure.

Each team that gets to the final of a major tournament is likely to have to win at least one game on penalties, tournament football is such fine margins. Looking back over the years how much more success would we have had had we only won 50% of the shoot outs we'd been involved in.

I'm hopeful but not confident of beating the Swedes on Saturday and winning on pens going into that fixture should give us some resilience and confidence if it goes to pens again.

Croatia is a different proposition and we would have to be spot on with our set peices or more creative than last night to turn them over before penalties.

Jun 24, 2008
Anyone here complaining about a "scrape" through to the quarters based on that performance clearly has not been watching a majority of the games in this years World Cup.

Croatia scraped past Denmark, Belgium past Japan, Spain out to average side, Germany out in Groups, Portugal drew against Iran, France drew to Denmark and quite a few other last gasp 1 nil wins to bigger sides throughout.

World Cup is not played on paper, any team can beat any team in this competition and this year has been incredible. We were patient and resilient...two of the things Gareth Southgate promised. Unlike 2 years ago we have a way of playing and determination. More importantly we won and on pens.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner šŸ‘Øā€āš–ļø
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
oldage":2n74v4b3 said:
Nearly lost it cause of Henderson.Just knew he would miss as soon as he started keepy uppy on the way to take his penalty.What a prat.

Odd comment.

There wasnā€™t anything wrong with Hendersonā€™s penalty, just a good save, if he hadnā€™t have got to it everyone would be saying what a good penalty it was, bottom corner with power.

Apr 5, 2008
Justin":kcgypgns said:
England were woeful.

Emphasis on winning matches through set pieces and practising the dark arts to win free kicks. Oh dear - show some class England!

Not a single shot on target from open play throughout 120 minutes against a poor Columbia.

How can anyone be happy with that?

You sound like a bitter Scotsman to me :lol: :lol:

May 22, 2006
Balham_Green":t0rsizmg said:
oldage":t0rsizmg said:

At least he had the bottle to take one unlike Vardy. Thought he was hopeless when he came on. This squad has very little after the first Xi.

Also Henderson penalty was better than Dyer's. Ospina should have saved it.

Vardy pulled his groin, so didn't take the fifth penalty, as had been planned.

He's out of Saturday's game.

Sep 6, 2006
Cobi Budge":3rit8wqs said:
oldage":3rit8wqs said:
Nearly lost it cause of Henderson.Just knew he would miss as soon as he started keepy uppy on the way to take his penalty.What a prat.

Odd comment.

There wasnā€™t anything wrong with Hendersonā€™s penalty, just a good save, if he hadnā€™t have got to it everyone would be saying what a good penalty it was, bottom corner with power.

There was something wrong with it. he said himself it was a good height for keeper. Also he made it very obvious which way he was going. Seems to me Ospina was much stronger going to his left than right. We were told England had done their research!

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
šŸ† Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Oct 31, 2010
In the end it came down to strong hands. Pickford pushed away the ball with his hand and while Ospina got a hand to Dier's penalty he couldn't stop it.

It's impressive the amount of research and analysis that Southgate and his coaches have brought into the England set-up.

FourMarkGreen

Jam First
May 25, 2016
macleanie":1u25wui2 said:
Anyone here complaining about a "scrape" through to the quarters based on that performance clearly has not been watching a majority of the games in this years World Cup.

Croatia scraped past Denmark, Belgium past Japan, Spain out to average side, Germany out in Groups, Portugal drew against Iran, France drew to Denmark and quite a few other last gasp 1 nil wins to bigger sides throughout.

World Cup is not played on paper, any team can beat any team in this competition and this year has been incredible. We were patient and resilient...two of the things Gareth Southgate promised. Unlike 2 years ago we have a way of playing and determination. More importantly we won and on pens.

Spot on and England thoroughly deserved to go through imho. Columbia were an unpleasant, cynical, disruptive outfit. Lucky not to have that guy sent off for the head butt, and lucky not to concede a second pen in the 2nd half. The way they tried to intimidate the ref at the first pen award plus the deliberate scuffing of the spot was disgraceful - I thought FIFA were clamping down on all this? Pity the ref wasn't stronger at that point. Columbia got what they deserved and I'm glad to see the back of them.

In contrast btw to Japan who were brilliant in every respect and unlucky to go out against Belgium.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
āœ… Evergreen
šŸŽ« S.T. Donor šŸŽ«
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Well I for one am shocked that certain posters are completely unable to enjoy Englandā€™s first ever World Cup penalty shoot out win.

At least we know this weird urge to focus on the negatives from everything, doesnā€™t just apply to Argyle.

Henderson missed. Who cares??

Bizarre.