England and Argyle . Twins ..... | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

England and Argyle . Twins .....

Oct 10, 2018
Why did you bother turning on the TV, if you knew Wngland was going to be that boring, your Mt's, or Mr.must just love you.

Oct 10, 2018
Last time England was entertaining Beckham was sent off for lunging at a Argie. Why I refuse to what this Isosceles school of football.

Reactions: Green 1886
Mar 23, 2008
Pretty much given up watching England over the past few years under Southgate as it is the same, safe as houses, risk averse and frankly dull to watch football every time.
I distinctly remember commenting around a year ago that at least I had argyle to deliver some attacking and exciting football and yet here we are. I even remember saying how I wondered what an England team under Schumacher would look like with all the attacking flair available.

A year or so on, England still play the same sideways, conservative, brain numbing football and Argyle have sadly gone the same way. The major difference being Argyle don’t pose a set piece threat which was the only way England were going to score last night.
I was watching last night, trying to have a weekend away from the stresses of strains. Telling myself 'don't compare to Argyle, don't compare to Argyle, don't compare to Argyle' when my son turned to be and said 'they play just like Argyle do!' 🥱
Hard to drive any car quickly with the handbrake yanked up.

Oct 31, 2015
Have to say a few of us discussed the game last night and boy the synergies.

Boring, low risk and waiting for something to happen against Brazil reserves. Those England players should have been going for it but were held back by dull tactics.

Definite synergies between them and us although the levels are completely different 🤣

Reactions: Green 1886

memory man

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
But look at how previous generations of excellent players have been stifled by England managers: Currie, Hudson, Bowles, Le Tissier, Beckham, Charlie George. They get slotted into some rigid formation that rarely changes and are expected to just confirm when what those creative players need is some freedom to go and express themselves. Foden is wasted out wide, for example, in the current team. At club level his manager has the guts to encourage players to go out and express themselves.
How do you include Beckham in that list? If ever a man made the most of his talent it is Beckham. Without his outstanding enthusiasm and willingness to go the extra mile the teams of his era would have been even poorer. If some of the rest of your mavericks had shown the same effort and enthusiasm they may well have earned more caps. I would also say that he is the only one in your list that was not blessed with a natural talent. He made the very most of what he was given and worked hard to improve it. He certainly wasn't stifled in that match against Greece when he covered every single blade of grass in search of qualification in 2001, culminating with that superb free kick.

Feb 11, 2024
Simple answer... Southgate ruining England and preventing them reaching their full potential (i think if we swapped out Southgate before the last 2 tournaments we would have won atleast one of them).

Ditto the above for Foster with Argyle at a much lower level/ standard of course

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
I still hope Ian Foster comes good but this is actually a part of the reason as to why I questioned his credentials when he was appointed, most people seemed to be waxing lyrical about how he’d been involved with the England set up, why should we automatically assume that’s a good thing? Watching England tends to send me to sleep. And it isn’t just Foster. Millwall appointed Joe Edwards directly from the England set up, he’s already been shown the door. I’m just not sure the set up at St George’s Park is quite as “elite” as it’s made out to be, whatever “elite” actually means.
i think "elite" in this context is self proclaimed.pleased to say i haven't watched england for more than two decades.

Jul 6, 2005
Apparently, Foster said England were "immense" and executed the game plan perfectly...

What the heck are the FA doing at St Georges Park to come out with such dull, boring and negative tactics?

We have fantastic attacking players but pretty average defenders, especially at CB. We're always likely to concede but we have enough attacking potential to out-score anyone. So with the likes of Foden and Bellingham, etc. surely England should be looking to get forward and take the game to the opposition.

Yet Southgate chooses caution every time, even against arguably the weakest Brazil side in anyone's memory who were coming off 3 straight defeats.

The upcoming Euros will no doubt follow what has become a familiar pattern from England under Southgate.

A couple of "flatter to deceive" wins to get everyone excited followed by a lack-lustre and negative display against one of the better sides in the knock-out stages.

The sooner he takes over at Old Trafford, the better.

Feb 26, 2022
The weather here has been indifferent this weekend - sunny periods, but heavy showers and spiky hail and a cold wind. I would have liked to have got onto some garden areas but very wet. So all in all, it has turned into a bit of a boring weekend - IF has a lot to answer for hasn`t he ? I looked in here to see `what`s on` I find this thread . IF stands no chance does he when some ( how many ? ) are prepared to `stick the knife in` at every opportunity - like a load of spoilt kids I think sometimes. I was going to reply to the OP and use the word `prat`, but the mods would likely delete that and so I have not used it !! Grow up some people and if the `caps fits` you will likely reply in a certain way !!