Emperor's New Clothes | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Emperor's New Clothes

Dec 2, 2010
Everything about us smacks of this at the moment. We cannot all be stupid and incompetent like the people in the story and continue to see things that are not there.

The owner wants a new Chairman, but can't find one. The CEO is also the FD and has another job! We have an inexperienced management and coaching team who are struggling to deliver results.

Today's result just sums it up. A year on and it was a dreadful performance, albeit with 10 men. We never once seriously troubled their keeper.

Let's start at the top and get the Board sorted out, including a Director responsible for the football product and who can mentor Fletcher and get the playing staff sorted out.

The squad is large, but imbalanced and not good enough at this level. We have no stregth in depth in central defence or midfield and too many strikers who don't play as strikers or just don't play.

I can understand that we are a work in progress, but it's time for this club to get suited and booted and start to look the part.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
Pilgrim61":1u834gjn said:
Everything about us smacks of this at the moment. We cannot all be stupid and incompetent like the people in the story and continue to see things that are not there.

The owner wants a new Chairman, but can't find one. The CEO is also the FD and has another job! We have an inexperienced management and coaching team who are struggling to deliver results.

Today's result just sums it up. A year on and it was a dreadful performance, albeit with 10 men. We never once seriously troubled their keeper.

Let's start at the top and get the Board sorted out, including a Director responsible for the football product and who can mentor Fletcher and get the playing staff sorted out.

The squad is large, but imbalanced and not good enough at this level. We have no stregth in depth in central defence or midfield and too many strikers who don't play as strikers or just don't play.

I can understand that we are a work in progress, but it's time for this club to get suited and booted and start to look the part.

The whole set up from top to bottom on a footballing front is lacking and no one seems to have any leadership or urgency in sorting out our problems.

Dec 2, 2010
As said in several other threads, james Brent has got to sort out the mess and start by getting someone in who knows how to run a club.

When he sits in the directors' box on Wednesday and sees an attendance that is probably 1000 down on the last home game, maybe he'll start to realise it's time for action.

Lesley Somerville

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jan 1, 2011
Plymouth
Let's be realistic. JB has many business interests, he's a busy man. He also no doubt has contingency plans for pafc but he is not going to react to a defeat like tonight's in the way that some fans are calling for. He will be taking the long view and I believe also he'll be loyal to Fletch, up to a point. I don't think we have by any means reached that point but I also agree that we are lacking experience on the coaching team. Surely that could be remedied?

Jan 27, 2012
I've always been concerned that PASOTI frowns upon any criticism of Brent because he was the one who saved the club. He did save the club and he's done some good things BUT like those before him his main focus is on property development for personal gain.

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
Lesley - you say be realistic then spout nonsense.

If Brent is a busy man even more important that he surrounds himself with people who know what they're doing. The fact that he hasn't suggests that either he doesn't know where to look or that he isn't prepared to pay the necessary wage. There is a third option - he doesn't care. I've been fed the line that he's now a fan, he's genuine, etc. Something's not right.

As for standing by Fletcher - that's a weakness. I've seen many managers come and go - Fletcher is showing all the signs of one who hasn't a clue what he's doing - formations that don't work, poor signings, clinging to individuals who aren't playing well, ineffective substitutions and poorer second-half performances compared to first demonstrating that team talks aren't being understood or the motivation's not there.

T

Tynan's Dad

Let's be fair, Brent came in from the start saying he had no money to invest but would save the club if nobody else was going to. That is what is has done. We still have a club. We are now likely to hover around in League Two until such time that either Brent decides he wishes to invest or a new investor comes in.

Aug 21, 2008
Plymouth
We may have no money but a competent manager would at least get the players playing as a team rather than looking like 11 (or 10) strangers.

Our full time players should be better man-for-man than a bunch of part-timers but they played like a team, we didn't.

Jun 23, 2011
Plymouth
Mark Pedlar":391zureg said:
Lesley - you say be realistic then spout nonsense.

If Brent is a busy man even more important that he surrounds himself with people who know what they're doing. The fact that he hasn't suggests that either he doesn't know where to look or that he isn't prepared to pay the necessary wage. There is a third option - he doesn't care. I've been fed the line that he's now a fan, he's genuine, etc. Something's not right.

As for standing by Fletcher - that's a weakness. I've seen many managers come and go - Fletcher is showing all the signs of one who hasn't a clue what he's doing - formations that don't work, poor signings, clinging to individuals who aren't playing well, ineffective substitutions and poorer second-half performances compared to first demonstrating that team talks aren't being understood or the motivation's not there.

Hard to disagree with any of that t be honest. Which is a shame, as it paints a rather grim picture.

We can never acheive any success with nofootball management/admin experience at the club. We need changes now. I did want Fletch to be given time but yesterday (not the result, the "performance") has finished it for me. We need a new manager.

Dec 2, 2010
Here's a theory about part of the reticence on Mr Brent's part to sort out the Board vacancies / structure.

A new Chairman or DoF have to add value. That means they get more out of Fletch or they decide he's not up to it. From his statement today the latter is clearly something that isn't going to happen anytime soon.

I can accept the continued support but I can't accept that Fletcher should not have someone on the club who can give him direction and support. It is clear to 90% of us that Argyle are lacking in a number of areas - defending set pieces (no one on the post when they hit it from a corner), our own set pieces and corners, and finishing...to name a few.

I was led to believe that Mr Brent had engaged headhunters to fill the Chairman job. Well what football person is going to do that part time for little pay. No wonder they can't find anyone! Bring in someone like Colin Lee who has a great pedigree and has done a fantastic job at Notts County. The guy knows the business, the lower leagues and is a great coach.

I bet you that every other manager in Mr Brent's businesses have objectives, goals and targets. Mr Brent articulated the 3 areas they set for Fletch as objectives last week and was happy that 2 out of 3 were being delivered....the one not being results. the trouble is, this one is what it's all about.

I really hope that we turn over Burton and Gillingham this week, but does anyone really believe that? I'm not sure even Fletch does. But if we do, it does not take away the need for the above points to be sorted out.

Jul 25, 2011
Now the red mist has started to settle I think it would be well deserved to actually give Dorchester a bit of credit. They looked like they would have given most league 2 side a run for their money at home with a man advantage.Thats not to try and white wash a poor defeat but Dorchester actually looked comfortable for pace and strength and certainly werent short of confidence. It'll be interesting how they play against Luton or nuneaton.

Flagman

🇮🇪🇮🇪🇮🇪🇮🇪🇮🇪🇮🇪
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Oct 16, 2003
Leixlip, Co. Kildare, Ireland
Lots of jerking knees all over the place at the moment.

Everyone is justifiably upset that we lost to a non league club (second year running). Salt rubbed in wounds with an Ex-Argyle and current scum Player scoring the winner.

The team on the pitch today was 5 players short of the team that played the week before. Loans and injuries affected the team. Players had to come in and do a job, sadly they didn't, part of that could be the fact that they don't play together (in combat situations) enough.

The substitutions haven't helped either, they just didn't work. But as even the commentators pointed out, CF is 32, very inexperienced. Sturrock even said that you learn more from a defeat, I suspect CF will do so. I expect a response. We have two very, very tough games coming up and it will be interesting to see how the Argyle aquit themselves.

Decisions on any possible change to the manager should happen at the end of the season, if at all. IMHO.

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
Flagman":uo8cny5o said:

Everyone is justifiably upset that we lost to a non league club (second year running). Salt rubbed in wounds with an Ex-Argyle and current scum Player scoring the winner.

The team on the pitch today was 5 players short of the team that played the week before. Loans and injuries affected the team. Players had to come in and do a job, sadly they didn't, part of that could be the fact that they don't play together (in combat situations) enough.

The substitutions haven't helped either, they just didn't work. But as even the commentators pointed out, CF is 32, very inexperienced. Sturrock even said that you learn more from a defeat, I suspect CF will do so. I expect a response. We have two very, very tough games coming up and it will be interesting to see how the Argyle aquit themselves.

Decisions on any possible change to the manager should happen at the end of the season, if at all. IMHO.

:facepalm:

ejh

Sep 27, 2012
Flagman":1i3tmviv said:

I'm one of Fletcher's disciples, but you are defending something which is indefensible. A few players out, boo hoo. I was all for playing Richards and Lennox and Lecointe, yet Fletch went with his strongest team available. At the end of the day, none of the Argyle players work at Royal Mail to make ends meet, so that should end the sympathy for Fletch and the team. We got humbled in spirit, attitude and desire and everyone needs to reflect on that.