Eight game mini-League of eight teams. | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Eight game mini-League of eight teams.

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
No way will all those teams get 52 points or anywhere near. With our goal difference 49 should be enough. With our not too challenging run in if we don't get a point a game we deserve to go down. I can't see us winning many but with our defence we should be able to get a few draws

I agree that 52 probably wonā€™t be needed but itā€™s the figure where it would take a really freak situation to be relegated (remember that time we missed the playoffs with 80 pointsā€¦).

The other thing to take into account is there could be big point swings in the games between the bottom 8 sides, of which there are quite a few. If we beat a QPR or Millwall, it has a massive boost on our chances, but if you lose not so much!

Feb 24, 2008
If we're going to do it, I think it's going to be in the three games after Norwich. Bristol City (H), Rotherham (A), QPR (H). We have to come out of that run with seven points minimum. City have nothing to play for, everyone is beating Rotherham and then being at home we should get something v QPR. If we don't then I don't see where we get any further points.
Did you see qpr v West brom? Qpr chucked the kitchen sink at boro and got a 2 2 draw. We haven't got anything like that in our armoury at present.
Hope I'm wrong but fearing the worst.

Greendawe

ā™£ļø PASALB Member
Mar 20, 2020
This is the most well argued and sobering thread I have seen recently. I will not repeat many other threads but it all points to the conclusion that something must change and quickly.

Aug 1, 2006
On a more positive note, our away form has improved from 6 points in 14 games to 7 points in 5 games. I still think we'll obtain enough points to stay up. I think goal difference will play a huge part and thankfully we're sitting well in that department

Reactions: Ade the green

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
āœ… Evergreen
šŸŽ« S.T. Donor šŸŽ«
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Yeah, itā€™s a great post. Momentum, unity and belief are massive in these situations but Iā€™m not seeing any of those things. Thatā€™s scary, or it would be scary if I hadnā€™t accepted that we are going down already :censored: (thereā€™s that lack of belief).

My personal view is that we would have seen some of that if a change was made after Preston, the toxicity would have cleared, weā€™d have a fresh start and the players may feel freed up to express themselves. But as thatā€™s not happened, we could really do with some sort of unifying event or message.

Reactions: Deacster
Dec 26, 2022
If we're going to do it, I think it's going to be in the three games after Norwich. Bristol City (H), Rotherham (A), QPR (H). We have to come out of that run with seven points minimum. City have nothing to play for, everyone is beating Rotherham and then being at home we should get something v QPR. If we don't then I don't see where we get any further points.
Spo on. A absolute min 5 point return from these three games will keep us in the hunt for a little longer but anything less and we'll be gone, I fear. I just can't see where the next three points are coming from partic at home where we have been dire in the main ....

Several times I opined on here at the start of the season that if we have to progress by being a yo-yo club, by virtue of our size and finances, then so be it. In truth I didnā€™t think it would come to this, but I too simply cannot see where enough points can come from. No choice but grow some and prepare for next yearā€™s campaign. Grrrrr.

Reactions: greenpilled
Jan 12, 2009
We are in an eight game mini-League of eight teams (Millwall to Sheffield Wednesday - on the assumption Rotherham are down). We are currently third in that League with two teams to go down. We have the best GD (by five) and a two point (or three point advantage with GD) over the bottom two. Like all but one of the others we also play two of the seven other teams. Most ony have one game v the top four - Blackburn have four of their eight.

In the Adams relegation season of 2018-2019 at the 38 game stage we were 15th with 45 points, three points clear of the relegation zone and with a better GD of 6. I only reflect upon those facts because the trauma of the post-Blackpool collapse still haunts me to this day. What haunts me even more is that under Ian Foster we are in severe danger of following the same free fall collapse at the business end of the season.

In James Stables and Alberto Lauciello superlative statistical analysis of 'Fozball' the statistical truth is beyond alarming. For a data driven club there is no sugar coating the reality, not least the recent calamitous home performances. The statistical truth is that we are sleepwalking in the footsteps of the Adams collapse in confidence in the team and management that defined perhaps the most inexcusable relegation of modern times. This time we have the facts to support the argument.

Returning to the eight game mini-League Championship, survival is perfectly doable. As ever at the top and bottom of Leagues where tensions and desire dictate outcomes rather than form, it is all to play for as the comfort zone of the 50 point target or nine points from the eight games is the achievable target.

All this means the silence from Home Park during the International break has been slightly mystifying. Hopefully, today that will be addressed in advance of the two Easter games. The Adams relegation collapse was accelerated by a lack of unity that became unbearably toxic at Accrington. We must learn lessons from that relegation. We are well placed in the mini-League to survive. What is missing is 'we are all in this together', 'we need you' and we will 'fight, fight fight' to secure our Championship status. For me, that comes from Joe Edwards as club and team captain. We need to believe. We have come so far and we are up against it. Time for us all to stand up and be counted and that should start today.
Don't expect to hear from Edwards

• Haha
Reactions: Daz
Feb 24, 2009
Paignton, Devon
I'm hoping some serious, open and honest heart to heart chats have taken place between management and the players during the international break. A clear the air, no holds barred discussion as to why our form has slumped, what can be done to turn it around and everyone signing up to an agreed way forward.

Daz

Administrator
Staff member
āœ… Evergreen
Pasoti Quiz Champions
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
Sep 30, 2003
Heā€™s just done a interview with Argyle TV, not sure whatā€™s said mind as not watched yet
The clip on Twitter he talks about the fans getting behind them. Was definitely Edwards though so maybe James isnā€™t quite as ITK as he lets on?

Daz

Administrator
Staff member
āœ… Evergreen
Pasoti Quiz Champions
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
Sep 30, 2003

Devizes Green

Auction Winner šŸ‘Øā€āš–ļø
Feb 8, 2016
The inference is that Joe is one of the majorly unhappy players. He may well be, but he has done an interview.
Yes i get the feeling that he has been sidelined for whatever reason on and off the pitch