Eight game mini-League of eight teams. | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Eight game mini-League of eight teams.

Graham Clark

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
🚑 Steve Hooper
Nov 18, 2018
We are in an eight game mini-League of eight teams (Millwall to Sheffield Wednesday - on the assumption Rotherham are down). We are currently third in that League with two teams to go down. We have the best GD (by five) and a two point (or three point advantage with GD) over the bottom two. Like all but one of the others we also play two of the seven other teams. Most ony have one game v the top four - Blackburn have four of their eight.

In the Adams relegation season of 2018-2019 at the 38 game stage we were 15th with 45 points, three points clear of the relegation zone and with a better GD of 6. I only reflect upon those facts because the trauma of the post-Blackpool collapse still haunts me to this day. What haunts me even more is that under Ian Foster we are in severe danger of following the same free fall collapse at the business end of the season.

In James Stables and Alberto Lauciello superlative statistical analysis of 'Fozball' the statistical truth is beyond alarming. For a data driven club there is no sugar coating the reality, not least the recent calamitous home performances. The statistical truth is that we are sleepwalking in the footsteps of the Adams collapse in confidence in the team and management that defined perhaps the most inexcusable relegation of modern times. This time we have the facts to support the argument.

Returning to the eight game mini-League Championship, survival is perfectly doable. As ever at the top and bottom of Leagues where tensions and desire dictate outcomes rather than form, it is all to play for as the comfort zone of the 50 point target or nine points from the eight games is the achievable target.

All this means the silence from Home Park during the International break has been slightly mystifying. Hopefully, today that will be addressed in advance of the two Easter games. The Adams relegation collapse was accelerated by a lack of unity that became unbearably toxic at Accrington. We must learn lessons from that relegation. We are well placed in the mini-League to survive. What is missing is 'we are all in this together', 'we need you' and we will 'fight, fight fight' to secure our Championship status. For me, that comes from Joe Edwards as club and team captain. We need to believe. We have come so far and we are up against it. Time for us all to stand up and be counted and that should start today.

Oct 8, 2005
cattedown
Totally agree. Watching our team at Home Park is frighteningly boring. No shots on target is the polar opposite to what we have seen previously. The football from January is light and day to previous months. We seem to be sleepwalking into relegation. I’m very surprised we haven’t heard from people at the top, either reassurance or a rallying call. It seems they’re not sure how to deal with this situation which for a club like ours is very strange. The silence is deafening.

Topboy

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Oct 2, 2003
Plympton
Much as I don't want to start a Fozzy out thread (has this been done? ;)), I said before Shuey left that should Argyle go down I actually wouldn't have had a problem with it (I'd have been utterly dissapointed and gutted) as we'd have gone down fighting and playing some lovely football. We just wouldn't have been quite good enough.

However what I've witnessed over the past few weeks / months has been unacceptable. Aimlessly drifting towards the abyss with a man at the helm who seems to relish is his personal mini war with the fans.

I sadly can't see us staying up.

Devizes Green

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Feb 8, 2016
We are in an eight game mini-League of eight teams (Millwall to Sheffield Wednesday - on the assumption Rotherham are down). We are currently third in that League with two teams to go down. We have the best GD (by five) and a two point (or three point advantage with GD) over the bottom two. Like all but one of the others we also play two of the seven other teams. Most ony have one game v the top four - Blackburn have four of their eight.

In the Adams relegation season of 2018-2019 at the 38 game stage we were 15th with 45 points, three points clear of the relegation zone and with a better GD of 6. I only reflect upon those facts because the trauma of the post-Blackpool collapse still haunts me to this day. What haunts me even more is that under Ian Foster we are in severe danger of following the same free fall collapse at the business end of the season.

In James Stables and Alberto Lauciello superlative statistical analysis of 'Fozball' the statistical truth is beyond alarming. For a data driven club there is no sugar coating the reality, not least the recent calamitous home performances. The statistical truth is that we are sleepwalking in the footsteps of the Adams collapse in confidence in the team and management that defined perhaps the most inexcusable relegation of modern times. This time we have the facts to support the argument.

Returning to the eight game mini-League Championship, survival is perfectly doable. As ever at the top and bottom of Leagues where tensions and desire dictate outcomes rather than form, it is all to play for as the comfort zone of the 50 point target or nine points from the eight games is the achievable target.

All this means the silence from Home Park during the International break has been slightly mystifying. Hopefully, today that will be addressed in advance of the two Easter games. The Adams relegation collapse was accelerated by a lack of unity that became unbearably toxic at Accrington. We must learn lessons from that relegation. We are well placed in the mini-League to survive. What is missing is 'we are all in this together', 'we need you' and we will 'fight, fight fight' to secure our Championship status. For me, that comes from Joe Edwards as club and team captain. We need to believe. We have come so far and we are up against it. Time for us all to stand up and be counted and that should start today.
Excellent post as always Graham.I agree that the silence from HP is deafening and your comments about Joe are very valid as he seems to have been sidelined for whatever reasons on and off the pitch.

May 22, 2006
Current betting to get relegated:
8/11 Wednesday; 7/4 Huddersfield; 2/1 Birmingham; 5/2 QPR; 4/1 Blackburn; 4/1 Argyle; 7/1 Stoke; 12/1 Millwall.

Reactions: Tavy Tony
Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
I can't see where nine points are coming from, I'm struggling with six if I'm honest.

The most games we have won in any eight game spell this season is 3 and that was when we were good and had a competent coach, so I agree, I struggle to see nine points. We would now have to all but hit our best form of the season to now reach the 52 point mark and that would be a remarkable turnaround in fortunes.

I know the cliche is “worry about ourselves”, but I think our survival is very reliant on a couple other teams below us continuing to be really poor (Birmingham, Huddersfield and hopefully Stoke).

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Foster's record is winning one point per game, so to get to 50 points he has to slightly better that at 1.125 per game.

With no game for nearly two weeks any rallying call up until this week will have been wasted, I'll be disappointed if there's not some kind of galvanising message from the club in the next two days but then again we have to play an in-form free-scoring Norwich City so a heavy defeat against them will kill off any positive message from the club before the Bristol City game.
It's a pity we didn't have a home game first, perhaps the rallying call will come over the weekend?

Fans are calling for a rallying call from Edwards, Hallett or even Parkinson and Dewsnip when usually it's the manager who calls for fans to get behind the team and I haven't seen many fans, if any, asking Foster to do that which sadly highlights our current predicament.

Dec 30, 2020
The run we're on reminds me less of the collapse under Adams than under Lowe and Schumacher in 2020/21.

As has happened this season, we had our easier fixtures frontloaded and a pretty dodgy transfer window, getting rid of some of our more reliable performers. In harder games with a team made up of kids on loan, the opposition generally just walked through us while we created virtually nothing at the other end. Had fans been allowed into the games, I think Lowe's position might have come under more pressure.

The good omen is that we stayed up that season, and kicked on from there.

The bad omen is that from this stage, we took four points from our final eight games, W1 D1 L6 with a record of 20 goals conceded and four scored. I wouldn't bet against something similar this time round.

Reactions: Lancastergreen
Jun 22, 2005
I can see us getting an absolute battering at Norwich which is worrying for the GD. If we lose 1 nil but made a good go of it fair enough but I think we all know how its going to go.
If we went down with Shuey still in charge then I think we would have come straight back up again. If we go down with Foster in charge then I fear the worst.....

Sep 6, 2006
The most games we have won in any eight game spell this season is 3 and that was when we were good and had a competent coach, so I agree, I struggle to see nine points. We would now have to all but hit our best form of the season to now reach the 52 point mark and that would be a remarkable turnaround in fortunes.

I know the cliche is “worry about ourselves”, but I think our survival is very reliant on a couple other teams below us continuing to be really poor (Birmingham, Huddersfield and hopefully Stoke).
No way will all those teams get 52 points or anywhere near. With our goal difference 49 should be enough. With our not too challenging run in if we don't get a point a game we deserve to go down. I can't see us winning many but with our defence we should be able to get a few draws

Reactions: IvyG and Justin
May 4, 2012
Sunderland
If we're going to do it, I think it's going to be in the three games after Norwich. Bristol City (H), Rotherham (A), QPR (H). We have to come out of that run with seven points minimum. City have nothing to play for, everyone is beating Rotherham and then being at home we should get something v QPR. If we don't then I don't see where we get any further points.