Dave Smith RIP | Page 6 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Dave Smith RIP

Emu

Oct 3, 2003
Sarf London
RIP Dave, what an iconic Argyle manager he was. I think he was my 4th Argyle manager, but the first one where I experienced a promotion. Remember the times so vividly. The days when you would turn up to Home Park and it really was a proper fortress.

So many abiding memories, not least the Bristol City match in 85/86, and of course the 6-1 and 6-3 victories over Huddersfield and Leeds in 87/88. Then the comeback against Manchester City and Stewart 'Stretch' Evans with the winner. Happy days. :)

Last edited:

The Pasty Kid

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Aug 16, 2006
Liskeard
I don't have the best memory for individual games, but I do remember the 3-2 against Manchester City, I was about nine or ten, and utterly miserable at half time

Reactions: Lyndhurst Road End
Mar 11, 2021
Tavistock
Dave Smith - what a manager. And a lovely bloke. And he knew how to get the best from his lads.
Gone but never forgotten.

Jan 6, 2004
My “first” Argyle manager and probably my favourite. The promotion diary of the 85/86 season was fascinating. Terrific manager but his methods were so so different from today’s football, with him it was all about percentages, he got actively cross about short passing.

Sep 15, 2010
Plympton
I used to teach in a school in Plymouth. We had an in service training day. During a break for coffee our head of PE introduced me to him knowing I was a fan of Argyle and we three sat down to chat. Two hours later I realised I'd missed my next session. What a man he was! His stories were legend and I learned so much as a teacher from him, not just about football either.
RIP Ciderman

LipsonJock

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
Brickfields Donor
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 8, 2013
RIP, a brilliant coach and carried on coaching youngsters. A legend.

I agree with Pogles about the pre-match chat with the crowd when he was amazingly honest about the reason for his team selection. Regarding the famous Reading game, I’m sure he said that it wasn’t until they were on the team bus leaving that he said to his assistant manager (who was that btw) ‘I guess we’ve dropped down the table a bit now’, and was amazed to hear they’d won.

Wonderful man, great communicator. Very sad news.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
I wonder if ANY manager apart from Dave Smith ever talked about team selection over a microphone beside the pitch pre match?

Anyone?

BigAl

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 10, 2006
Deeply saddened. One of my favourite periods as an Argyle fan. A great manager. RIP

Reactions: Greenbean
Dec 28, 2010
Very sad news, such a genuinely nice guy aswell as top manager.

Had the pleasure of being part of his football training school at a young age of on the fields of what was John Kitto school grounds.

But more recently over the past 6-7 years working on and servicing his vehicle, dropping him back home to Wembury area where he loved living. Sharing his memories on the journey home and putting his analysis on modern day football with games recently played on the weekend previous. Very strong football brain even after all those years since retirement.

RIP Dave 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿