Dave Smith RIP | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Dave Smith RIP

Stuart Bloye

✅ Evergreen
Sep 17, 2003
RIP Cider man. Thanks for so much, especially the 4-0 against Brizzle. I bumped into him in Wembury, but was too shy (in awe) to speak to him.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
I spent about 4 hours with him about 5 years ago, the man had the mind of a 20 year old.

A briliant raconteur and by God he still knew about football.

Reactions: Rowlypilgrim

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Quick question how did Dave get the Ciderman name ? I guess it must be pretty obvious but I was too young to know at the time

Q: You are affectionately known to Argyle fans as ‘Ciderman’, how did that nickname come about?

DS: I am not sure how the ‘Ciderman’ nickname came about …I have an idea that when we went down to Padstow for the monthly draw with the Bill Pearce, I was having a drink of cider with the ‘locals’ of the pub and perhaps the name stuck…maybe started using it myself as a form of identity, would you believe?
Just perhaps someone else might have the real answer?

Link.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wexford Green

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Well well well I always thought he just named himself that.

I can remember his story about the rainbow over Home Park which he saw from the train and he knew that Argyle was for him.

Feb 24, 2008
So sad, what a horrible week.

I was at Elm Park, Reading, in 1987/88 when we won one nil in August to go top of the old second division (just two seasons after the 4 v 3 nightmare). We scored in injury time in the first half and Ciderman was reportedly already inside making the half time tea. Apparently, no one told him we were one nil up and, with about 10 minutes to go, and to the astonishment of my late dad and myself, he brought on an attacker! Thank goodness we held out!

Great memory Ciderman. Great Argyle manager. RIP

ps I have no idea if the above story about Dave making the tea is true, but this was what I was told the next day.
He certainly went to the changing room just before 1/2 time. He heard the roar for us scoring, but believed it was the 1/2 time whistle.
He only found out we'd won after the game when a player said "boss we won" believe they were getting a hard time in the dressing room afterwards

Reactions: Stuart Bloye
Mar 1, 2005
Southampton
The Russ Abbot show ran from 1986 to 1991 and two of the main characters were Cooperman and Blunderwoman. They were quite big at the time, and I always thought that "Ciderman" was a play on Cooperman because of Dave Smith's great personality and humour.

Graham Clark

✅ Evergreen
Nov 18, 2018
One of the Argyle greats. The 4-0 win v Bristol,City the pinnacle. Always a gentleman and all you ever wanted an Argyle manager to be. RIP Ciderman.

Beyton Green

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Feb 19, 2005
Terrible news. One of the very best supporting Argyle times. RIP

Jan 27, 2012
A legendary manager. Argyle royalty.

Although there will rightly be tributes to the Queen at the next match, I hope that at another match there can be a minutes silence and a dedicated announcement about Dave Smith. He was a special manager.

Last edited:

Rowlypilgrim

Jam First
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 13, 2021
As so many have already stated here, great times for the club under a very popular manager. RIP gaffer, thanks for the memories

monkeywrench

Administrator
Staff member
Brickfields Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jan 12, 2006
Cornwall
Absolute legend and an absolute gent. The loveliest of guys.

Never forget the Smith promotion season and the mighty attempt to get in the then 1st Division.