Danny Mayor signs for 2 more years | Page 14 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Danny Mayor signs for 2 more years

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
East End Green":3vvoyl9z said:
Devongreenowl":3vvoyl9z said:
[
He’s a recidivist flouncer BG. Chucks dolly out of pram, sulks for a couple of weeks, comes back, repeats.

Recidivist Flouncer - sounds like the name of an over-ambitious prog artist from the 1970s......

Thinking about it EEG - your prog analogy is nearer the mark. Every member of YES other than the great Bill Bruford, could be said to have been a recidivist flouncer. They all left and returned multiple times!

Aug 24, 2014
Plymouth
oldage":3teiy9ed said:
briangreen":3teiy9ed said:
oldage":3teiy9ed said:
Richard Lester":3teiy9ed said:
A message to all you Danny Mayor knockers - you are very much in the minority , please put a sock in it ! The vast majority of fans can appreciate what he brings to the team and very much want him to stay . What must he think when he reads some of the ill-informed rubbish posted on here ?
IMO the vast majority of fans are finally waking up to the fact he is nowhere near as good as we were led to believe.Who are you to say some posts are ill informed rubbish ?To all the Mayor hero worshippers I say give it a rest. Whether he stays or goes there is nothing the fans can do about it.

You back again? Talk about give it a rest.
I feel a big black cloud on the way.. . ..
I've never been away.Keep up! :wave:

Forgetting your "You Win" attention seeking post and quit for a while? Must have been after a win.

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
PlymOdi":2qfd14du said:
oldage":2qfd14du said:
briangreen":2qfd14du said:
oldage":2qfd14du said:
Richard Lester":2qfd14du said:
A message to all you Danny Mayor knockers - you are very much in the minority , please put a sock in it ! The vast majority of fans can appreciate what he brings to the team and very much want him to stay . What must he think when he reads some of the ill-informed rubbish posted on here ?
IMO the vast majority of fans are finally waking up to the fact he is nowhere near as good as we were led to believe.Who are you to say some posts are ill informed rubbish ?To all the Mayor hero worshippers I say give it a rest. Whether he stays or goes there is nothing the fans can do about it.

You back again? Talk about give it a rest.
I feel a big black cloud on the way.. . ..
I've never been away.Keep up! :wave:

Forgetting your "You Win" attention seeking post and quit for a while? Must have been after a win.

Never understood why supporters can't just support myself..

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
This threads become proper boring now :facepalm:

Jun 18, 2005
born St. Columb, Cornwall
Nobby":1qr97x6s said:
Ave_IT":1qr97x6s said:
oldage":1qr97x6s said:
Richard Lester":1qr97x6s said:
It was RL that said he was better than Graham Carey when he arrived and in his second league game he scored an absolute screamer against Salford. It was a stupid thing to say (even if perhaps in jest) and then that goal further raised expectations....but he is no Carey that's for sure. Does that make him a failure? Certainly not - still a terrific player and a massive asset at this level and the way he runs with the ball he's a pleasure to watch. Fingers crossed he'll sign because players like him a few and far between outside the top divisions. That's not hero worship just stating the bleedin' obvious.

Lowe only said it because so many fans were crying about Carey and Lameiras leaving and to give us something to be excited about. It's evident that Mayor isn't as good all-round as those pair, but they are two of the best individual players we've had in the last 20 years. Maybe it's about time we start judging Mayor for what he is. A winger-turned-central midfielder whose great at dribbling and passing, a beast on the transition, but is also inconsistent within games and doesn't score enough goals. It hasn't quite clicked for him here on a consistent basis, but he's played in two entirely different midfields in two seasons, had about 6 different LWB's behind him to link up with and played almost every game during the COVID era. The circumstances haven't been perfect for any player and that's why I can be a bit forgiving about ropey form from an obviously talented player.

I think that's a very fair assessment, well said.

Mar 14, 2009
From my point of view you see Danny Mayor is great on the ball.

Danny Mayor looks a great player compared to what we have in the squad because apart from G Cooper who can do what he does. (And not even sure G Cooper can dribble to that standard).

Yet we play him in a position that l feel doesn’t suit him and affects the balance of the team.

This is where l feel this “Pep” style football that has come into our coaching and game has made people forget about the most crucial thing. Substance.

Man City looked better on the eye last Saturday. Yet they had simply no punch. When it got to dangerous areas of the pitch they couldn’t hurt Chelsea.

Mayor looks great on the eye. Yet in the last third is he really hurting teams? C Grant has a better final ball than Mayor from a wide position and he doesn’t have to take someone on to deliver that ball. So what’s better. The player than can beat a player with a great dribble but can’t deliver an end product or the player who can’t beat anyone but can create a chance from just getting the delivery of the cross right.

People moan about G Cooper when he was on loan here. Firstly, the guy isn’t a left back. And secondly he was very inconsistent. Yet when he got that delivery right it was a beautiful thing to see. I rather have him over Mayor because whilst inconsistent he will eventually create an opportunity for someone.

I’m not Jephcott’s biggest fan. Yet people wonder why he didn’t play so well from January. He was starved of any decent delivery into the box which is his strength. That to me is the job of your best creative player, which was Mayor to supply him.

Mar 24, 2019
Metal_Green_Mickey":74rg365k said:

Danny Mayor looks a great player compared to what we have in the squad because apart from G Cooper who can do what he does. (And not even sure G Cooper can dribble to that standard).

Yet we play him in a position that l feel doesn’t suit him and affects the balance of the team.

This is where l feel this “Pep” style football that has come into our coaching and game has made people forget about the most crucial thing. Substance.

Man City looked better on the eye last Saturday. Yet they had simply no punch. When it got to dangerous areas of the pitch they couldn’t hurt Chelsea.

Mayor looks great on the eye. Yet in the last third is he really hurting teams? C Grant has a better final ball than Mayor from a wide position and he doesn’t have to take someone on to deliver that ball. So what’s better. The player than can beat a player with a great dribble but can’t deliver an end product or the player who can’t beat anyone but can create a chance from just getting the delivery of the cross right.

People moan about G Cooper when he was on loan here. Firstly, the guy isn’t a left back. And secondly he was very inconsistent. Yet when he got that delivery right it was a beautiful thing to see. I rather have him over Mayor because whilst inconsistent he will eventually create an opportunity for someone.

I’m not Jephcott’s biggest fan. Yet people wonder why he didn’t play so well from January. He was starved of any decent delivery into the box which is his strength. That to me is the job of your best creative player, which was Mayor to supply him.
A bit strange to label peps Man City as having no substance considering the amount of trophies they’ve won since he’s been there ?
if somebody told me mayor would go all of next season without a goal or assist, he’d still be one of the first names on my team sheet , he brings so much more to the team ... I think Conor grant got 11 assists last year , mainly crosses from the left ..from recollection I would guess more than half of those came from mayor beating a couple of players carrying the ball upfield and laying a perfectly weighted ball for grant to cross .
There’s so much more to football than goals and assists.. there’s no one else in our team capable of carrying the ball from our own half to the edge of the opponent’s penalty area and assisting the assister ... I’d be gutted if he didn’t sign

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
Absolutely right, that’s why we also need right sided players; one to ‘do a Mayor’ and one to ‘do a Grant’.
Of course, we also need a solid, experienced defence.

Ponty

English and proud of it
Staff member
R.I.P
Sep 27, 2006
Plymouth
I think the longer it goes on the less likely DM will re-sign.
Same for Grant.

No links or inside info, just my gut feeling.

Mar 14, 2009
doozer":y94v0gs0 said:
Metal_Green_Mickey":y94v0gs0 said:

A bit strange to label peps Man City as having no substance considering the amount of trophies they’ve won since he’s been there ?
if somebody told me mayor would go all of next season without a goal or assist, he’d still be one of the first names on my team sheet , he brings so much more to the team ... I think Conor grant got 11 assists last year , mainly crosses from the left ..from recollection I would guess more than half of those came from mayor beating a couple of players carrying the ball upfield and laying a perfectly weighted ball for grant to cross .
There’s so much more to football than goals and assists.. there’s no one else in our team capable of carrying the ball from our own half to the edge of the opponent’s penalty area and assisting the assister ... I’d be gutted if he didn’t sign

What it came to that specific game they had no substance. They are the new bully boys of the division. I have no problem with City. In fact l have been Maine Rd with a City supporting mate when they were just in Utd’s shadow.

In terms of the league they have the squad that others can only dream about. So over the course of a 38 game season they have a massive advantage.

You have a look at their results this season. When they played Man Utd it’s the same issue. A low block, counter attacking style. The difference is a Man Utd or a Chelsea have the millions in midfield and attack to open up City. They have extreme pace that City keep on struggling against expensive teams who play a certain way. So it was even more bizarre given City’s weakness that Pep played no actual CDM’s.

People say Tushel has Pep’s number. However, he is only doing what Ollie at Man Utd has done to him in the past two seasons. I think Utd had a bad result in the league cup at Old Trafford but in the main Ollie has played a counter attacking style against him to get successful results.

I’m sorry but despite all the money spent and all the great players city had on the pitch they were clueless on how to open up a side as costly as their’s. When it’s a level playing field l think Pep’s tactics can be questioned.

And this is the point. I think you can play Pep’s style when you have one of the biggest budgets in the league. However, l think you have to mix it up when you don’t because you don’t have the technical players to pull it off. Even if you have them you need a plan B. I’m not sure City have that because for the majority of the time their expensive squad smashes the less expensive squads.

Mar 14, 2009
davie nine":3oisazwq said:
Absolutely right, that’s why we also need right sided players; one to ‘do a Mayor’ and one to ‘do a Grant’.
Of course, we also need a solid, experienced defence.

Where would they go? You already have Mayor at Left CM. You can’t put a similar type at Right CM. There would be no midfield.

You need proper CM’s like Camara, and hopefully Edwards, where Mayor played last season. The system needs a tweak and if Mayor stays he needs to play behind a forward because we don’t play with LM’s or RM’s.

I feel sorry for Mayor. The system just doesn’t suit him so we shoe horn him into CM role.

Graham Clark

✅ Evergreen
Nov 18, 2018
It is very early for signings to be made as a look at the transfers so far for post season end of May and June show (see BBC website transfers list for both months below.

June 2021 transfers
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/transfers

May 2021 transfers
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/57089800

Furthermore, most footballers in the last couple of weeks will have been on their holidays with an earlier than usual pre-season return. Anyone with a family would almost certainly be off this week for half term.

I would anticipate more transfer activity at Home Park from next week, including re-signings. Even then I would expect it to be on a drip feed basis to maintain social media interest over the period.

Ponty

English and proud of it
Staff member
R.I.P
Sep 27, 2006
Plymouth
Graham Clark":2svehkj4 said:
It is very early for signings to be made as a look at the transfers so far for post season end of May and June show (see BBC website transfers list for both months below.

June 2021 transfers
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/transfers

May 2021 transfers
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/57089800

Furthermore, most footballers in the last couple of weeks will have been on their holidays with an earlier than usual pre-season return. Anyone with a family would almost certainly be off this week for half term.

I would anticipate more transfer activity at Home Park from next week, including re-signings. Even then I would expect it to be on a drip feed basis to maintain social media interest over the period.
Danny Mayor has reportedly already been in for his chat. That's what's worrying me.

Mar 24, 2019
Metal_Green_Mickey":3hczmv3q said:
doozer":3hczmv3q said:
Metal_Green_Mickey":3hczmv3q said:

What it came to that specific game they had no substance. They are the new bully boys of the division. I have no problem with City. In fact l have been Maine Rd with a City supporting mate when they were just in Utd’s shadow.

In terms of the league they have the squad that others can only dream about. So over the course of a 38 game season they have a massive advantage.

You have a look at their results this season. When they played Man Utd it’s the same issue. A low block, counter attacking style. The difference is a Man Utd or a Chelsea have the millions in midfield and attack to open up City. They have extreme pace that City keep on struggling against expensive teams who play a certain way. So it was even more bizarre given City’s weakness that Pep played no actual CDM’s.

People say Tushel has Pep’s number. However, he is only doing what Ollie at Man Utd has done to him in the past two seasons. I think Utd had a bad result in the league cup at Old Trafford but in the main Ollie has played a counter attacking style against him to get successful results.

I’m sorry but despite all the money spent and all the great players city had on the pitch they were clueless on how to open up a side as costly as their’s. When it’s a level playing field l think Pep’s tactics can be questioned.

And this is the point. I think you can play Pep’s style when you have one of the biggest budgets in the league. However, l think you have to mix it up when you don’t because you don’t have the technical players to pull it off. Even if you have them you need a plan B. I’m not sure City have that because for the majority of the time their expensive squad smashes the less expensive squads.
I agree with you , we need a plan b when our style isn’t working ....I would hope and expect that Lowe has learnt that from last season ......I disagree that mayor is ineffective in our current set -up for the reasons I’ve stated above

Nov 30, 2010
Brechin
I don't have the stats but I'm pretty sure Camara carried the ball from our box to the opposition box way more times than Mayor did last season - I'd bet he lost the ball less often as well.