Cornwall Street, unpopular opinion? | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Cornwall Street, unpopular opinion?

Mark58

♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Feb 19, 2018
Dunno mate! :) Just a Janner thing really. Bit like going Asders to get the lottos. Or Tescos.

For me though...since I was knee high to a grasshopper, it's always been Prellies...and it was always cod and chips, bread and butter and salt and vinegar on the table. Fading a bit but from memory, you sat down to eat upstairs.

As a kid, I also had another "favourite" and that was the restaurant upstairs in John Yeo's. Pasty and chips followed by a chocolate mousse! For the younger ones, John Yeo's was the forerunner to Debenhams and taken over somewhere around 1964/65ish?
Thanks, Andy (y). I get the 'Asders' thing - even the current Mrs. Mark58 refers to ASDA as 'Asders' - and she's from London! I suppose 'Kwop' for Co-Op is another one but that sort of make sense (just a running together of the two syllables) whereas 'Prellies' for Perilla's still leaves me confused. I would love to know who was the first Janner to come up with that one. :ROFLMAO:

On the subject of the 'Kwop' - and tying in with your memories of John Yeo and Debenhams - I am sure that my Grandma used to treat herself to a meal at the Co-Op top floor restaurant, at the bottom of Royal Parade, once a week in the mid-60s. Does that sound right or am I confusing it with, say, Debenhams?

Andy S

Administrator
Staff member
🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 15, 2003
Thanks, Andy (y). I get the 'Asders' thing - even the current Mrs. Mark58 refers to ASDA as 'Asders' - and she's from London! I suppose 'Kwop' for Co-Op is another one but that sort of make sense (just a running together of the two syllables) whereas 'Prellies' for Perilla's still leaves me confused. I would love to know who was the first Janner to come up with that one. :ROFLMAO:

On the subject of the 'Kwop' - and tying in with your memories of John Yeo and Debenhams - I am sure that my Grandma used to treat herself to a meal at the Co-Op top floor restaurant, at the bottom of Royal Parade, once a week in the mid-60s. Does that sound right or am I confusing it with, say, Debenhams?
Yes there was a cafeteria on the top floor of the Derry's Cross Co-op building. My mum used to work in the accounts department there. Fwiw, her "Divvy" number was 9848!! I don't know though whether the cafeteria was open to the public or whether it was just a staff place.

Reactions: Mark58
Mar 22, 2020
Yes there was a cafeteria on the top floor of the Derry's Cross Co-op building. My mum used to work in the accounts department there. Fwiw, her "Divvy" number was 9848!! I don't know though whether the cafeteria was open to the public or whether it was just a staff place.
I used to go to Derrys top floor café. Definitely open to the public. It was still in operation up until the closure of the store. Liked their scampi and chips.

Reactions: Andy S

Mat

🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦
Cream First
Sep 22, 2003
Sidney, British Columbia,, Canada

It’s Mandela effect. https://www.scienceofpeople.com/mandela-effect/

The Doctor

✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
I used to go to Derrys top floor café. Definitely open to the public. It was still in operation up until the closure of the store. Liked their scampi and chips.
We moved to Plymouth in 1992 and at that time there were basically three places you could get a coffee in the city centre - Derry‘s top floor, Debenhams and a little cafe in the Drake Circus walk-through towards the university. Even when our kids were little (in the early 2000s) the first two of those were the only real options that I can remember. Then, at some point after that, the coffee shops started breeding…

The same was true on Mutley Plain which we lived a literal stone’s throw from 2003-2013. I don’t remember there being any cafe there at that time apart from Goodbody’s but now they must number in double figures - in fact another one opened just a couple of weeks ago at the northwest end next to the Buddha(?) Cafe by Swarthmore and one more is about to open at the southwest end on the way up North Hill.

Times, and drinking habits, change!

Mark58

♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Feb 19, 2018
Thanks, Mat. Never having heard of this I checked it out and soon appreciated that it is 'an American thing'. This scenario was named the ‘Mandela effect’ by, and I quote, "the self-described ‘paranormal consultant’ Fiona Broome after she discovered that other people shared her (false) memory of the South African civil rights leader Nelson Mandela dying in prison in the 1980s."

The words 'self-described paranormal consultant' should have said it all but I persevered and read on. The whole premise (false memory etc) seems to be based on, allegedly, a load of Yanks genuinely believing that Nelson Mandela died in prison in the 80s. Now, forgive me for casting aspersions on the average IQ level of our cousins across the pond (and I am allowed to say this because I have American relatives! ;) ) but - as a general rule - I would not consider them to be the sharpest tool in the box...

Anyone with half a brain cell should be able to tell you all about Mandela's release and subsequent political journey. To say otherwise would be the equivalent of thousands of Janners all 'remembering' Villa Park in 1984 but then being totally convinced that Argyle went on to win the Cup!

But, wait a minute, didn't they? :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: Mat
Mar 17, 2022
East of the tamar
A perfect Saturday a visit to stentifords bakery for a sticky dough bun, over to Hoopers news agents to get the paper and some sweets and then across the the toy shop on the corner of Market Way and Cornwall Street , the off to Bejam for some cheap food. Home in time for wrestling, Tarzan and the.World of Sport

Those were the days!

Andy S

Administrator
Staff member
🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 15, 2003
We moved to Plymouth in 1992 and at that time there were basically three places you could get a coffee in the city centre - Derry‘s top floor, Debenhams and a little cafe in the Drake Circus walk-through towards the university. Even when our kids were little (in the early 2000s) the first two of those were the only real options that I can remember. Then, at some point after that, the coffee shops started breeding…

The same was true on Mutley Plain which we lived a literal stone’s throw from 2003-2013. I don’t remember there being any cafe there at that time apart from Goodbody’s but now they must number in double figures - in fact another one opened just a couple of weeks ago at the northwest end next to the Buddha(?) Cafe by Swarthmore and one more is about to open at the southwest end on the way up North Hill.

Times, and drinking habits, change!
Back in the day Tim, we had Lyons Tea House and Cawardines Coffee Shop. I can’t remember a Goodbodys in Plymouth but we did have one in Tavistock! They were bakeries rather than coffee shops.

Jun 2, 2010
Plymouth or Pacific
My Bank PIN is my mother's Kwop divvy number driven into me at the tender age of 10. It's the only thing I will never forget.

• Haha
Reactions: Andy S and Mark58

Mat

🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦
Cream First
Sep 22, 2003
Sidney, British Columbia,, Canada
Back in the day Tim, we had Lyons Tea House and Cawardines Coffee Shop. I can’t remember a Goodbodys in Plymouth but we did have one in Tavistock! They were bakeries rather than coffee shops.
Wasn’t goodbodys just off Mutley Plain, Lisson Grove. Not a patch on Belgrave snooker club.