Cornwall Street, unpopular opinion? | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Cornwall Street, unpopular opinion?

Feb 26, 2012
Ivybridge
My favourite place in Plymouth by some distance. If you’re a foodie, as I am, it offers the most amazing diversity from Asian supermarkets to Polish and West Indian restaurants. The market also hosts an amazing variety of restaurants from traditional English to Nepalese. I must confess that I also spend too much time in the Lisbon Café. The area receives a lot of flak because historically it has been a favoured spot of street drinkers, but honestly I’ve seen a lot worse.
Cornwall street, it’s a great place…give it your support 😀

Reactions: jimbogreen

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
My favourite place in Plymouth by some distance. If you’re a foodie, as I am, it offers the most amazing diversity from Asian supermarkets to Polish and West Indian restaurants. The market also hosts an amazing variety of restaurants from traditional English to Nepalese. I must confess that I also spend too much time in the Lisbon Café. The area receives a lot of flak because historically it has been a favoured spot of street drinkers, but honestly I’ve seen a lot worse.
Cornwall street, it’s a great place…give it your support 😀
And the original Dewdneys of course!! ;) 🥧

Reactions: Old Gunner

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
I must stop agreeing with everything you say, OG 😂. Totally agree, the actual buildings might not be the best but it's a nice tree lined street with loads of independent businesses... plus the market (which IS a very nice building) is genuinely fantastic for food.

• Haha
Reactions: Old Gunner
Feb 26, 2012
Ivybridge
I must stop agreeing with everything you say, OG 😂. Totally agree, the actual buildings might not be the best but it's a nice tree lined street with loads of independent businesses... plus the market (which IS a very nice building) is genuinely fantastic for food.
I absolutely love it, probably the only genuinely multicultural area of Plymouth. My whole family spend an inordinate amount of time walking around the two big Asian supermarkets…absolute treasure troves! Couple of the smaller ones sell brilliant Middle East produce including madjoul dates! Plus a really interesting African shop opposite Cafe Lisbon.

Jun 2, 2010
Plymouth or Pacific
If Ivor could have bottled the smell that come from that place he could have made a fortune selling it to expat Janners. One of my best memories of Plymouth in the fifties is walking down Cornwall Street on a Saturday and being drawn towards Ivor's by that smell, getting my pasty and later finishing up at Home Park if I wasn't playing that day.

Last edited:

I Was There

♣️ North Devon Greens
Feb 2, 2022
So obviously not a Janner Bob, in the 50s/ we would go to Ivors after the flics and get a bag of burnt and broken pasties for a tanner.
Then on to Woolworths for a serve yourself bag of broken biscuits, if you rooted around to the bottom of the box you would find a chocolate one if you were lucky.