Cornwall Street, unpopular opinion? | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Cornwall Street, unpopular opinion?

justanotherfan

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 4, 2012
Plymouth
Then on to Woolworths for a serve yourself bag of broken biscuits, if you rooted around to the bottom of the box you would find a chocolate one if you were lucky.
Woolies doughnuts the best on the planet ever, fried dark on the outside and a lovely gooey bright yellow inside and tea upstairs poured 3 dozen at a time from a huge teapot.

Feb 26, 2012
Ivybridge
Loving the memories of Cornwall Street! Will be down there later for a cup of the best coffee in Plymouth and a home made Pasteis de nata from Cafe Lisbon...plus an Ivor Dewdney's!

Bernie Bernbaum

Pasoti Quiz Champions
May 29, 2015
The original Plymouth branch of Virgin Records was in Cornwall Street as well. Next to the market entrance.

May 16, 2016
Last time I was in one of the Cypriot restaurants, you could still have an orange juice as a starter.

• Haha
Reactions: Emu

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
Cornwall Street is the only tolerable part of the city centre, some fairly nice independent shops/cafes etc, the rest of the city centre is vile, New George Street and Royal Parade should be bulldozed, their only purpose seems to be to serve as a place for zombies to roam and occasionally shout at or spit at each other, you can’t walk down either nowadays without seeing some sort of altercation or the police restraining someone.

I’ve said it before, the main problem is that nobody lives in Plymouth city centre, it’s just a concrete jungle of shops, so there’s no collective desire to make it a nice place to be, you only go to the city centre if you need something, whereas in other towns/cities the city centre is somewhere you spend time and enjoy yourself.

Reactions: Old Gunner

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Cornwall Street is the only tolerable part of the city centre, some fairly nice independent shops/cafes etc, the rest of the city centre is vile, New George Street and Royal Parade should be bulldozed, their only purpose seems to be to serve as a place for zombies to roam and occasionally shout at or spit at each other, you can’t walk down either nowadays without seeing some sort of altercation or the police restraining someone.

I’ve said it before, the main problem is that nobody lives in Plymouth city centre, it’s just a concrete jungle of shops, so there’s no collective desire to make it a nice place to be, you only go to the city centre if you need something, whereas in other towns/cities the city centre is somewhere you spend time and enjoy yourself.

Not to go off-topic into the other thread about tree-felling, but developments like Armada Way (and Old Town St, and Civic Centre, and Debenhams conversion) are exactly how they're trying to fix the issues you've listed. It's a shame the Armada Way work has been totally overshadowed by the tree situation, when the end result should be a huge urban park running from the train station to the Hoe (if you include the new Civic Square) and a much nicer place to be.

I think when all that is finished, it will look pretty good.

Reactions: justanotherfan

MGM

✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 7, 2021
Then on to Woolworths for a serve yourself bag of broken biscuits, if you rooted around to the bottom of the box you would find a chocolate one if you were lucky.

You could serve yourself broken biscuits? l remember Woolworths. I remember it because that’s where ld spend my pocket money on the latest Star Wars action figure. This was the place to go for toys & music whilst W H Smith was where l went for my £3 Spectrum games.

To go back to broken biscuits l know the ones you can get in markets in a box on a stall. Just never knew about the Woolsworth‘s ones.

Oct 11, 2021
The coffee (and tea) roasting etc I remember was Coles. My parents got all their tea there not PG Tips or other such junk. Tea mixed to your requirements in our case mainly Ceylon tea probably because my dad was there during the war. I think Carwardines might have been later.

I Was There

♣️ North Devon Greens
Feb 2, 2022
You could serve yourself broken biscuits? l remember Woolworths. I remember it because that’s where ld spend my pocket money on the latest Star Wars action figure. This was the place to go for toys & music whilst W H Smith was where l went for my £3 Spectrum games.

To go back to broken biscuits l know the ones you can get in markets in a box on a stall. Just never knew about the Woolsworth‘s ones.
This was the 1960’s when health&safety hadn’t been thought about. Just past the bottom of the steps on the Cornwall Street side was the biscuit counter. The different varieties were behind the counter and you could tell the lady serving what you would like, in the front of the counter was a large box where all the damaged ones would be put and for a fraction of the price of the unbroken biscuits you could take a paper bag and sort through them to pick what you wanted and get them weighed. Happy days.

Reactions: MGM